Road Trip To Thailand

Deucedude

Turbocharged

This is an interesting itinerary, but $99 per pax for optional day trip is a bit too much. I don't recall the tickets for tunnels and hot spring cost so much. Is it RM ?

just checked my pics taken in Aug 2016

tunnels cost for adult 50baht (Rm6), Child 20B (rm2.50)

hot spring spa/sauna 150B (Rm17) - the photo is that of the indoor pools. Not sure if this inlcds the outdoor pool too.

• Praise 1

It says :

If it is their third or more visit in a year they must obtain a visa in advance. 

So go one or two times via road is ok. Third time onwards better to take aeroplane or cruise ship.

• Praise 1

hi all,

just sharing my recent trip itinerary to Thailand. I'll state my start/end points in KL rather than in SG as I spent some time in KL too.

Target area was the northern part of Thailand, mainly the Mae Hong Son loop and surrounding hilly areas. Intention was to drive those roads, take in the scenery and see the local culture (hill tribes, Myanmar). This was a solo trip; Just me and my car.

List of overnight stops

0: KL

1: Hatyai

2: Prachuap Khiri khan city (just south of Hua Hin)

3: Nakhon Sawan

4: Mae Sot 

5: Mae Sariang

6: Sop Pong (Pang Mapha)

7: Mae Hong Son

8: Chiang Mai

9:Nakhon Sawan

10: Kanchanaburi

11: Chon buri (last min detour)

12: Prachuap Khiri Khan

13: Hatyai

14: Hatyai

15: KL

Distance driven in Thai: approx. 5k km

Total round trip distance fm Singapore and back: approx. 7k km

highlights of the trip, in no particular order:

1) watching sunrise fm the beach at Prachuap Khiri Khan as well as the Dusky Langgurs at the nearby Ao Manao

2) various morning and night markets at the border towns and Mae Hong Son province. These were excellent opportunities to observe - even for a fleeting moment - the locals as they go about their day. Sop Pong especially stood out, with the mix of various hill tribes present. Mae Sot and Dan Singkhon were also interesting, not because of the products on sale but the high % of Burmese locals.

3) I made a deliberate effort to skip Pai (overrun by farang backpackers). I only had lunch there and then pushed on to Chiang Mai

4) preparation of various snacks to hand out (instead of cash) to kids begging at certain tourist locations.

5) side trip up to Don Inthanon and having lunch up there. it was 15degC there at lunchtime, not accounting for wind chill. According to the daily temperature record, it hit a low of 6degC at 6am. I was fortunate that the weather up there was clear. It's often blanketed by clouds. Can't get enough of blue skies.

6) brisk weather up in the north. Mornings and nights dipped to 13degC but the afternoons were 30degC or so. It was the tail end of the cool season but I was prepared for a range of different weather conditions,  

What I would do differently next time:

1) use a different air filter for the car air intake LOL. The air in Thailand got very dusty once I was north of Hatyai. My current airfilter isn't the best at filtration but allows a high volume of airflow. Even when walking around, I was wondering if I should use a face mask. Even my car interior got all dusty merely from the opening/closing of doors.

2) try somehow to spend more time up in the north. Honestly the drive fm SG to Nakhon Sawan was boring. It got interesting only about halfway between Tak and Mae Sot. I did consider putting the car on the train in Msia or Thai but for various reasons, did not. I didn't want to rent a car in Thai - the intent was to use my own car.

3) bring some camping gear and be prepared to spend some nights camping. Incld cooking gear as well as sleeping gear. For this trip I was prepared to sleep in the car (I drive a wagon) if absolutely necessary but it did not come to that. Still, I noticed quite a few interesting camping spots in the area.

4) learn abit more Thai language. My "mastery" of the thai language now is limited to the numbers (up to thousands) and food items. In the south, it's not an issue because quite a few locals also speak Bahasa Melayu or some mandarin dialects. Also, the northern thai language (or dialect?) seems different from the other areas. I was flagged down by two youths beside a stranded motorbike up near Mae Sariang but we were unable to understand each other. Fortunately a local thai vehicle came by and stopped to assist. So I left them.

5) perhaps, just perhaps, take some effort to learn photography and bring a DSLR [grin] btw the use of drones is strictly regulated in Thailand so do check the current rules if heading there.

thai immigration/customs issues:

1) thai entry permit at Bukit Kayu hitam is for 30 days, not 14days as before. I think this probably has to do with the change to two visa-free entries per year via land borders.

2) when exiting Thailand via Bukit Kayu hitam, the new building is still in use, however, the return of the car import/export permit is not at the new building (the new counter is closed n blocked off). The customs form was returned at counter 8 of the old original building. It's also a drive thru facility.

3) when exiting Thailand, the immigration officer asked for my inward/outward passenger manifest.... I said I didn't have it done when I entered Thailand 2 weeks ago. He merely shook his head and stamped my passport. Not sure if this will change. The use/need for this document has changed quite a few times.

• Praise 10

hi all,

just sharing my recent trip itinerary to Thailand. I'll state my start/end points in KL rather than in SG as I spent some time in KL too.

Target area was the northern part of Thailand, mainly the Mae Hong Son loop and surrounding hilly areas. Intention was to drive those roads, take in the scenery and see the local culture (hill tribes, Myanmar). This was a solo trip; Just me and my car.

List of overnight stops

1) watching sunrise fm the beach at Prachuap Khiri Khan as well as the Dusky Langgurs at the nearby Ao Manao

2) various morning and night markets at the border towns and Mae Hong Son province. These were excellent opportunities to observe - even for a fleeting moment - the locals as they go about their day. Sop Pong especially stood out, with the mix of various hill tribes present. Mae Sot and Dan Singkhon were also interesting, not because of the products on sale but the high % of Burmese locals.

3) I made a deliberate effort to skip Pai (overrun by farang backpackers). I only had lunch there and then pushed on to Chiang Mai

4) preparation of various snacks to hand out (instead of cash) to kids begging at certain tourist locations.

5) side trip up to Don Inthanon and having lunch up there. it was 15degC there at lunchtime, not accounting for wind chill. According to the daily temperature record, it hit a low of 6degC at 6am. I was fortunate that the weather up there was clear. It's often blanketed by clouds. Can't get enough of blue skies.

6) brisk weather up in the north. Mornings and nights dipped to 13degC but the afternoons were 30degC or so. It was the tail end of the cool season but I was prepared for a range of different weather conditions,

1) use a different air filter for the car air intake LOL. The air in Thailand got very dusty once I was north of Hatyai. My current airfilter isn't the best at filtration but allows a high volume of airflow. Even when walking around, I was wondering if I should use a face mask. Even my car interior got all dusty merely from the opening/closing of doors.

2) try somehow to spend more time up in the north. Honestly the drive fm SG to Nakhon Sawan was boring. It got interesting only about halfway between Tak and Mae Sot. I did consider putting the car on the train in Msia or Thai but for various reasons, did not. I didn't want to rent a car in Thai - the intent was to use my own car.

3) bring some camping gear and be prepared to spend some nights camping. Incld cooking gear as well as sleeping gear. For this trip I was prepared to sleep in the car (I drive a wagon) if absolutely necessary but it did not come to that. Still, I noticed quite a few interesting camping spots in the area.

4) learn abit more Thai language. My "mastery" of the thai language now is limited to the numbers (up to thousands) and food items. In the south, it's not an issue because quite a few locals also speak Bahasa Melayu or some mandarin dialects. Also, the northern thai language (or dialect?) seems different from the other areas. I was flagged down by two youths beside a stranded motorbike up near Mae Sariang but we were unable to understand each other. Fortunately a local thai vehicle came by and stopped to assist. So I left them.

5) perhaps, just perhaps, take some effort to learn photography and bring a DSLR [grin] btw the use of drones is strictly regulated in Thailand so do check the current rules if heading there.

1) thai entry permit at Bukit Kayu hitam is for 30 days, not 14days as before. I think this probably has to do with the change to two visa-free entries per year via land borders.

2) when exiting Thailand via Bukit Kayu hitam, the new building is still in use, however, the return of the car import/export permit is not at the new building (the new counter is closed n blocked off). The customs form was returned at counter 8 of the old original building. It's also a drive thru facility.

3) when exiting Thailand, the immigration officer asked for my inward/outward passenger manifest.... I said I didn't have it done when I entered Thailand 2 weeks ago. He merely shook his head and stamped my passport. Not sure if this will change. The use/need for this document has changed quite a few times.

Thank You for sharing. Wish I could do it solo like you.

Seemed like you spent one night at each place, wasn't it too rush?

hi all,

just sharing my recent trip itinerary to Thailand. I'll state my start/end points in KL rather than in SG as I spent some time in KL too.

List of overnight stops

You went to say hi to the SG Troops training over there is it? 

Jokes aside, very brave of you to travel alone in places where language might be a barrier. Care to share any mishaps or incidents which might be useful to us if we plan to go alone in future?

• Praise 2

Thank You for sharing. Wish I could do it solo like you.

Seemed like you spent one night at each place, wasn't it too rush?

yes I wish I could have spent more time in these places:

mae sot

mae sariang

mae hong son

sop pong

chiang mai

not for the other places. Either nothing there that piqued my interest or I hv been there quite a few times already. Also deliberately skipped Phuket/krabi/ko samui for the same reasons.

that being said, I did get to see all I aimed to see in the northern towns but wish I could have just spent more time lazing around LOL. Unfortunately just getting to Mae Sot (start of the clockwise loop) took a week, and I couldn't spend much more time away fm SG. I would consider this as a recce trip. I will be back. (but also thinking abt Issaan. Chiang Rai for some reason has not yet tempted me.  

You went to say hi to the SG Troops training over there is it? 

Jokes aside, very brave of you to travel alone in places where language might be a barrier. Care to share any mishaps or incidents which might be useful to us if we plan to go alone in future?

they were too well camouflaged! I couldn't spot them

nah I went to Kanchanaburi to check out the war museum and just try to appreciate the history (and horrors) of the place. I went there previously but was wearing green at that time. We didn't get to hear/learn much abt the history then, which I thought was a wasted learning opportunity.

learning points from mishaps or incidents? nothing much except perhaps to expect crazy drivers on the road (which is present in SG and Msia lol)

- I met one Hilux when I was climbing up a hairpin steep curve. He was coming down the opposite way. I saw him take the racing line, which cut into my lane. I had to go to the shoulder to avoid him. It was a near miss.

- In hatyai I also witnessed two bikes crash head-on. One was going the wrong way down a one-way street at abt 10pm. The other bike turned out fm a side street to enter the main one-way street and crashed into the other bike. Both were locals.

other things to prepare for solo trip? Have a plan in case of vehicle breakdown. i.e. the thai AD for my car make, which is only in Bangkok. Back up plan was to get a friend in SG to buy the necessary parts and courier them to my location. So it's best if one has some basic knowledge abt car parts/maintenance. Esp since my make/vehicle is rare in that country. 

I want from chiangmai to pai ? is the road difficult or dangerous ? Can I to use google map ?

u plan to drive or ride bike? or other means of transportation?

the road is very hilly and windy. Not recommended for new drivers. Also do check the weather - best to go during the cool season, not the hot or wet season.

yes google map rocks. I used it a lot. Waze doesn't seem popular up there.

• Praise 1

u plan to drive or ride bike? or other means of transportation?

the road is very hilly and windy. Not recommended for new drivers. Also do check the weather - best to go during the cool season, not the hot or wet season.

yes google map rocks. I used it a lot. Waze doesn't seem popular up there.

I'll use the ride bike, and it's the first time driving in Thailand or the foreign. But I dont scare highly or windy.

Becau' I live in Vietnam. Sometime, I still travel to high towns, very cold and foggy.

Is this road more slippery in November ?  Is the police from chiangmai to pai bad or good cop ? I haven't  the international driver's permit

Edited by bluepotato

I'll use the ride bike, and it's the first time driving in Thailand or the foreign. But I dont scare highly or windy.

Becau' I live in Vietnam. Sometime, I still travel to high towns, very cold and foggy.

Is this road more slippery in November ?  Is the police from chiangmai to pai bad or good cop ? I haven't  the international driver's permit

your own bike or rental in thailand?

there are many foreigners who go to chiang mai and rent a bike (usually a scooter but big bikes are also available for rent). Most of these are westerners.

there are many road blocks in the area but I've never been checked. I usually see the police stopping cargo vehicles and motorbikes.

It might be useful to have IDP although I've not been asked for it before. Also, always wear a helmet for personal safety as well as avoiding police issues.

November is the start of the cooling season so it'll be a good time to do the journey. Road should be ok as long as you avoid the rainy season.

Also check your insurance issues. I heard of a few Malaysian bikers who had fatal accidents in the south part of Thailand recently and it was incredibly complicated for the families to claim the remains. Usually lots of money is involved.

hi all,

just sharing my recent trip itinerary to Thailand. I'll state my start/end points in KL rather than in SG as I spent some time in KL too.

List of overnight stops

2) various morning and night markets at the border towns and Mae Hong Son province. These were excellent opportunities to observe - even for a fleeting moment - the locals as they go about their day. Sop Pong especially stood out, with the mix of various hill tribes present. Mae Sot and Dan Singkhon were also interesting, not because of the products on sale but the high % of Burmese locals.

2) try somehow to spend more time up in the north. Honestly the drive fm SG to Nakhon Sawan was boring. It got interesting only about halfway between Tak and Mae Sot. I did consider putting the car on the train in Msia or Thai but for various reasons, did not. I didn't want to rent a car in Thai - the intent was to use my own car.

3) bring some camping gear and be prepared to spend some nights camping. Incld cooking gear as well as sleeping gear. For this trip I was prepared to sleep in the car (I drive a wagon) if absolutely necessary but it did not come to that. Still, I noticed quite a few interesting camping spots in the area.

4) learn abit more Thai language. My "mastery" of the thai language now is limited to the numbers (up to thousands) and food items. In the south, it's not an issue because quite a few locals also speak Bahasa Melayu or some mandarin dialects. Also, the northern thai language (or dialect?) seems different from the other areas. I was flagged down by two youths beside a stranded motorbike up near Mae Sariang but we were unable to understand each other. Fortunately a local thai vehicle came by and stopped to assist. So I left them.

5) perhaps, just perhaps, take some effort to learn photography and bring a DSLR [grin] btw the use of drones is strictly regulated in Thailand so do check the current rules if heading there.

2) when exiting Thailand via Bukit Kayu hitam, the new building is still in use, however, the return of the car import/export permit is not at the new building (the new counter is closed n blocked off). The customs form was returned at counter 8 of the old original building. It's also a drive thru facility.

Nice road trip and write up.

Care to share what car you used for this road trip?

Forester XT?

↡ Advertisement