Chia Song Hwee is the Temasek Senior management

Wind30

CHIA Song Hwee

Head, Strategy

Co-Head, Portfolio Management

Co-Head, Singapore

I just realised Chia Song Swee former Chartered CEO is now one of the top guys in Temasek....

Common.... anyone here from Chartered Semi???

We don't know how his EXACT performance is like in Chartered but it is a FACT that during his years as CEO of Chartered semi from 2002 to 2009, Chartered Semi shares plummeted like a rock.

In the end, we sold Chartered Semi to Global foundries.

Seriously, what did he do that makes Temasek want him as Head Strategy??? Did chartered Semi do extremely well? What did he do that makes Temasek hire him to manage our Portfolio and Strategy?

What strategy did he implement in Chartered Semi that ended up with Chartered share price dropping like a rock, making losses for many quarters, and ended up being sold to Global foundries.

This is crazy.

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

Chartered is now known as Gloflo leh. anyway as of late i heard that GloFlo tio tua by AMD. AMD's product roadmap was supposed to include project Bobcat (28nm) ie progression from Bulldozer. As long term manufacturing partner, AMD invested substantial sums to ready its wafer lines for the 28nm process. However at the 11th hour, owing to disappointment over the lacklustre Bulldozer as well as the fact that Bobcat would only have 3 Quarters to recoup capital costs (before the next manufacturing node kicks in), AMD canned 28nm.

To rub salt onto injury, AMD coincidentally inked a deal with rival TSMC and concurrently divested holdings in GloFlo to less than 10% (and they withdrew the right of directorship) I am not yet very sure how this development implicates GloFlo;s bottomline but the bigger consequence is that one can expect lesser cooperation between AMD and GloFlo in the near future to come.

recently joint ventures by jap memory firms apparently decide to use global foundries as their wafer plant. Btw. Chartered semi is only a small part of global foundries. Global foundries is HQ is USA, their owners are Arab

Actaually some Info on chia song hwee not correct, he actually took over frOm ho Ching for chartered, during his period , chartered shares actually rose and was profitable. Then ho Ching took back the reins and from then on it was downhill

Edited by Relacklabrudder

Reports: AMD cancels Globalfoundries 28-nm APUs

Peter Clarke

11/23/2011 6:16 AM EST

LONDON

Chartered Semi's problem is always been that their technology is not competitive.

What can you expect when they put an Accountant as the CEO from 2002 onwards?? Same for SMRT. Put a DFS head as CEO.

After so many year as CEO of Chartered, what has he done? In the end, Chia and the CEO of GloFlo left at the same time last year in a management shakeup.

http://semimd.com/blog/2011/06/16/ceo-gros...lobalfoundries/

Seriously, the failure of Chartered Semi has really put a lot of electonics jobs in Singapore at risk.

What happens when Temasek fails?? are we going to sell Temasek to Abu Dhabi?

(edited)

recently joint ventures by jap memory firms apparently decide to use global foundries as their wafer plant. Btw. Chartered semi is only a small part of global foundries. Global foundries is HQ is USA, their owners are Arab

Actaually some Info on chia song hwee not correct, he actually took over frOm ho Ching for chartered, during his period , chartered shares actually rose and was profitable. Then ho Ching took back the reins and from then on it was downhill

?? Chia was CEO of Chartered from 2002 until it was sold to Global Foundries. And from then onwards he was COO of GLobal Foundries, until he left together with the CEO last year.

All the years when he was the CEO of Chartered, the stock price is generally downwards except for a brief period in 2003-2004.

Compared to the long time CEO of TSMC. Morris Chang.

"He transferred to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and received his Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Mechanical Engineering from there in 1952 and 1953, respectively. After failing to obtain a Ph.D. from MIT, he sought to find a job and got into the Sylvania Semiconductor. Three years after he worked at Sylvania Semiconductor, he decided that the company wasn't enough for him. Chang moved to Texas Instruments in 1958, which was then rapidly rising in its field. After three years in TI, he rose to be the manager of an engineering section. It was then, in 1961, that Texas Instruments decide to invest in him by giving him the opportunity for his Ph.D. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1964."

TSMC has an Stanford PHD engineer as CEO. Chartered Semi has an accountant...

Edited by Wind30

Knowing the right people and knowing how to shout "YES, SIR!" is more important than your real capability.

You'd better be more careful of what you post. Plenty of police reports being made now for posts such as this.

I used to work in Chartered, to be fair to Chia, he took over Chartered when it was bleeding.

He's an accountant by trade, I believe (citation required), and he stripped away what was non-profitable, making painful, but necessary cuts (the killing of Fab1 in Science Park for example) and pointed Chartered towards the future.

Chartered's downfall was not because of his management skills, but rather, they didn't have the technological know-how. TSMC and UMC were miles ahead, and CSM was always playing catchup.

Chia realised this and solidified CSMs standing in older, but necessary tech (read, not cutting edge, not sexy, but makes money) and used the funds to focus R&D on a narrow range of technologies.

IMO, he did the best anyone out there could do.

He was always first in the office, on some days, I would come in at 7am...and his black BMW 6 series would be out front, I could never beat him!

He was a people person (you could often find him at the food court in Vista Point) and I would like to say that he ensured this was inherited by all his managers, me, as a lowly engineer, would find myself regularly in meetings with VPs and Senior Directors, something which didn't mean much to me then, but now, with a few more years under my belt and a few more companies too, I do appreciate it's importance in feeling committed and accepted by the company.

I say, all the best to him (and ultimately, us!)

Chartered is now known as Gloflo leh. anyway as of late i heard that GloFlo tio tua by AMD. AMD's product roadmap was supposed to include project Bobcat (28nm) ie progression from Bulldozer. As long term manufacturing partner, AMD invested substantial sums to ready its wafer lines for the 28nm process. However at the 11th hour, owing to disappointment over the lacklustre Bulldozer as well as the fact that Bobcat would only have 3 Quarters to recoup capital costs (before the next manufacturing node kicks in), AMD canned 28nm.

To rub salt onto injury, AMD coincidentally inked a deal with rival TSMC and concurrently divested holdings in GloFlo to less than 10% (and they withdrew the right of directorship) I am not yet very sure how this development implicates GloFlo;s bottomline but the bigger consequence is that one can expect lesser cooperation between AMD and GloFlo in the near future to come.

What I heard of it GF had poor yield on AMD's products that the selling price was not on per wafer, but on per working die basis. This meant a big loss to GF and this agreement ended in 2011. When GF refused to carry on selling at per die basis, AMD went over to rival TSMC.

Chrt's quality were not that superior. Back in the 90s, Erisson's T series hp had a lit of problems and these chips came out of then Chrt. Back then, their attempts to manufacture also DRAM failed.

Their stock price and bonuses managed to hit the peak, all thanks to the major Taiwan earthquake in the late 90s, forcing manufacturers to approach Chrt for orders fulfilment. Which is why now the 2 Taiwanese market leaders have plants outside Taiwan.

(edited)

You'd better be more careful of what you post. Plenty of police reports being made now for posts such as this.

I used to work in Chartered, to be fair to Chia, he took over Chartered when it was bleeding.

He's an accountant by trade, I believe (citation required), and he stripped away what was non-profitable, making painful, but necessary cuts (the killing of Fab1 in Science Park for example) and pointed Chartered towards the future.

Chartered's downfall was not because of his management skills, but rather, they didn't have the technological know-how. TSMC and UMC were miles ahead, and CSM was always playing catchup.

Chia realised this and solidified CSMs standing in older, but necessary tech (read, not cutting edge, not sexy, but makes money) and used the funds to focus R&D on a narrow range of technologies.

IMO, he did the best anyone out there could do.

He was always first in the office, on some days, I would come in at 7am...and his black BMW 6 series would be out front, I could never beat him!

He was a people person (you could often find him at the food court in Vista Point) and I would like to say that he ensured this was inherited by all his managers, me, as a lowly engineer, would find myself regularly in meetings with VPs and Senior Directors, something which didn't mean much to me then, but now, with a few more years under my belt and a few more companies too, I do appreciate it's importance in feeling committed and accepted by the company.

I say, all the best to him (and ultimately, us!)

I never said anything that is not true as I believe any discussion should be based on reasoning and facts.

Don't you think the point highlighted in Bold is what led to Chartered Semi's downfall? That as you said, was Chia's strategy in Chartered Semi.

We need a capable person, not a people person to run Temasek. Ultimately, the result speaks for itself. I never said whether he was a "nice" person or not as that is not relevant.

Edited by Wind30

I never said anything that is not true as I believe any discussion should be based on reasoning and facts.

Don't you think the point highlighted in Bold is what led to Chartered Semi's downfall? That as you said, was Chia's strategy in Chartered Semi.

We need a capable person, not a people person to run Temasek. Ultimately, the result speaks for itself. I never said whether he was a "nice" person or not as that is not relevant.

You need to read carefully, I was quoting what Poper posted, not you.

And no, I don't. During those years, Chartered was gaining market share, revenue and profitability. If this is the results you are looking for, Chia is your man in an investment vehicle like Temasek!

your judgment, understand or assessment of him only based on his performance in Chartered, isn't it a bit personal [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

He did not take over from Ho Ching. Chrt was under ST Group which she heads. The last CEO was Barry White, who left in 2002 and they had am interim CEO before Chia was appointed.

As for whether he turned the company around, it's very subjective. Not sure if you know, he was the one who agreed to the joint venture with IBM for the 90nm node onwards. For this joint venture, engineers from both sides jointly developed 90, 65, 45 and 40 nm and having to pay an annual license fee of us40 million.

And for all the hard work, IBM only gave a small slice of the XBOX360 90 nm production for Chrt to taste and took it back later.

You need to read carefully, I was quoting what Poper posted, not you.

And no, I don't. During those years, Chartered was gaining market share, revenue and profitability. If this is the results you are looking for, Chia is your man in an investment vehicle like Temasek!

I was agreeing with you that we should based discussion based on facts.

Are you serious? Was Chartered gaining market share, revenue and profitability? Any sources? The share prices say otherwise.

You mentioned "Chartered's downfall" so I am really confused how Chia can lead Chartered into her downfall while gaining market share, revenue and profitability.

(edited)

He did not take over from Ho Ching. Chrt was under ST Group which she heads. The last CEO was Barry White, who left in 2002 and they had am interim CEO before Chia was appointed.

As for whether he turned the company around, it's very subjective. Not sure if you know, he was the one who agreed to the joint venture with IBM for the 90nm node onwards. For this joint venture, engineers from both sides jointly developed 90, 65, 45 and 40 nm and having to pay an annual license fee of us40 million.

And for all the hard work, IBM only gave a small slice of the XBOX360 90 nm production for Chrt to taste and took it back later.

I knew about the IBM joint venture and I think it is a really stupid blunder. Chartered gave up its in-house R&D for "technology" from IBM. We all know how it ended up.

I did not mentioned this as it is a matter of opinon whether it is a mistake. I believe the results speak for itself.

Edited by Wind30

semicon is sunset industry in sg

Why? The failure of Chartered Semi is a big contributor. If we could be as competitive as TSMC, you will find it very different.

What I heard of it GF had poor yield on AMD's products that the selling price was not on per wafer, but on per working die basis. This meant a big loss to GF and this agreement ended in 2011. When GF refused to carry on selling at per die basis, AMD went over to rival TSMC.

Chrt's quality were not that superior. Back in the 90s, Erisson's T series hp had a lit of problems and these chips came out of then Chrt. Back then, their attempts to manufacture also DRAM failed.

Their stock price and bonuses managed to hit the peak, all thanks to the major Taiwan earthquake in the late 90s, forcing manufacturers to approach Chrt for orders fulfilment. Which is why now the 2 Taiwanese market leaders have plants outside Taiwan.

It is true that GloFlo experience difficulties transiting to 28nm node. So did Phoenix Foundries. Besides the issue of ramping up production, i think 28nm being a new manufacturing tech node for a foundry, it is to be expected with regards to yield standards. I do not believe that there was a quarrel over way payment was computed. In fact the WSA was redrawn just last year or so.

If you look at the design blueprint of AMD's Bulldozer, i can tell you. It is is a bull fertiliser design.

Anyway AMD is troubled. If the CEO thinks that by firing wholesale, the entire PR and Marketing Depts are going to make a change, he is a douchebag. Intel is about to ready its production of x86 SoC Medfield soon, stealing the honour that rightfully had belonged to AMD's 28nm SoC Bobcat. ARM is doing well imo too and its strategy of focusing on low power devices is paying off, even as it gradually ramps up the GPU firepower, its traditional achilles heel.

↡ Advertisement