Chia Song Hwee is the Temasek Senior management

Wind30

I think our leaders need to wake up their idea that we need to hire the people with the RELEVANT experience.

SMRT head from DFS.

Chartered Semi = accountant

Temasek Strategy and portfolio management head is a guy who headed a Wafer Fab for almost 10 years.

Why can't they hire someone from the Finance industry?

This is not play, play. Why does someone deserve a second chance? If temasek fails, do we get a second chance?

↡ Advertisement

semicon is sunset industry in sg

Common misconception. The smartphone and the tablet market is booming. Mind you, the average handphone contains at least 9 chips which are manufactured by foundries.

Common misconception. The smartphone and the tablet market is booming. Mind you, the average handphone contains at least 9 chips which are manufactured by foundries.

he say Semicon is a sunset industry in Sg

And I agree with him

He did not take over from Ho Ching. Chrt was under ST Group which she heads. The last CEO was Barry White, who left in 2002 and they had am interim CEO before Chia was appointed.

As for whether he turned the company around, it's very subjective. Not sure if you know, he was the one who agreed to the joint venture with IBM for the 90nm node onwards. For this joint venture, engineers from both sides jointly developed 90, 65, 45 and 40 nm and having to pay an annual license fee of us40 million.

And for all the hard work, IBM only gave a small slice of the XBOX360 90 nm production for Chrt to taste and took it back later.

u r right, there was a hoo ha during that period over Xbox , even cause the sahre that once once 50cts? to shoot to $2. (yes i know $2 was a long way from the price it had during the dot com boom)

semicon is sunset industry in sg

if u compared to the dotcom bubble yes la, that time semi con paying 6- 12 mths bonus, all Uni grads rush to study microelectronics ok.

but then u should not be comparing the industry to the Bubble years.

semicon is still providing jobs to many engineering grads in singapore, it just that it is not so good anymore. i mean there are Arts grad who din manage to find decent jobs lor.

hmmm. no comments about that. btw you in semicon?

I am IC designer by profession. So basically I am Wafer Fab customers.

My wife works in Chartered Semi for a number of years (TD dept) so that is why I know things about Chartered.

That is why I feel rather passionate about this. Singapore needs to succeed in what she does as it is our jobs at stake.

For someone to lead Chartered Semi into oblivion, why are we hiring him as Head Strategy of Temasek? He does not have the relevant experience or track record to me.

u r right, there was a hoo ha during that period over Xbox , even cause the sahre that once once 50cts? to shoot to $2. (yes i know $2 was a long way from the price it had during the dot com boom)

Chrt's last share price was around $1.xx. But that was not the real final price. Some time back in another "fund raising" attempt, it was diluted by 10. So in actual fact, people are paying $1.xx and getting only 1x cents back at its final days.

My wife works in Chartered Semi for a number of years (TD dept) so that is why I know things about Chartered.

That is why I feel rather passionate about this. Singapore needs to succeed in what she does as it is our jobs at stake.

For someone to lead Chartered Semi into oblivion, why are we hiring him as Head Strategy of Temasek? He does not have the relevant experience or track record to me.

oh i see. so basically you work in chip design house.

honestly when it comes to pinpointing the reason behind CSI's decline, i am not sure which is the greater reason. Falling margins since the last decade or the fact that semicon is no longer the gharmen's "kwey kia"

oh i see. so basically you work in chip design house.

honestly when it comes to pinpointing the reason behind CSI's decline, i am not sure which is the greater reason. Falling margins since the last decade or the fact that semicon is no longer the gharmen's "kwey kia"

as an accountant, i can only say when things go wrong and no good candidates for choose from, the accountant will always be the one to be put up there chiam si tong until they find somebody, and the board know very well that this person is not the ideal candidate and just hope he is there to do the routine work as per instructed .... [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

It is true that GloFlo experience difficulties transiting to 28nm node. So did Phoenix Foundries. Besides the issue of ramping up production, i think 28nm being a new manufacturing tech node for a foundry, it is to be expected with regards to yield standards. I do not believe that there was a quarrel over way payment was computed. In fact the WSA was redrawn just last year or so.

If you look at the design blueprint of AMD's Bulldozer, i can tell you. It is is a bull fertiliser design.

Anyway AMD is troubled. If the CEO thinks that by firing wholesale, the entire PR and Marketing Depts are going to make a change, he is a douchebag. Intel is about to ready its production of x86 SoC Medfield soon, stealing the honour that rightfully had belonged to AMD's 28nm SoC Bobcat. ARM is doing well imo too and its strategy of focusing on low power devices is paying off, even as it gradually ramps up the GPU firepower, its traditional achilles heel.

The 28nm manufacturing should be either in GF's Dresden or New York facility. In SG, the lowest they can go is 40 or 45nm. I'm not sure of the 28nm node as i'm totally out of this sunset industry after 10 years.

In the semicon line, there is only 6 months to make the kill for every new tech node. After which prices will tumble. As far as what i can recall, the selling price for the 1st 12" wafer was around us5k. Not sure of the prices now.

Back then, Chrt's 65nm was ready, but no customers.

Wow, didn't know there are so many from the wafer fab industry here.. I am also in the wafer fab foundry, but I am from the eastern part of Singapore... Chartered has it's hay day in the '90s. I think the decline is largely due to the rapid expansion of it's fabs.. So fast that they are unable to break even and embarked on the GUIs ing of the next fab. But of course, competitive customer base is also another factor.. Just my take..

Do ask your wife about the infamous female manufacturing DD she encountered while in TD either in fab 6 or 7.

And she's not famous as in the IT executive story.

Wow, didn't know there are so many from the wafer fab industry here.. I am also in the wafer fab foundry, but I am from the eastern part of Singapore... Chartered has it's hay day in the '90s. I think the decline is largely due to the rapid expansion of it's fabs.. So fast that they are unable to break even and embarked on the GUIs ing of the next fab. But of course, competitive customer base is also another factor.. Just my take..

And digging out more on their expansion, they bought over HNS in Tampines.

But that fab isn't producing much and is on very old technology.

They are trying to and experimenting doings MEMs there, but with not much success.

The 28nm manufacturing should be either in GF's Dresden or New York facility. In SG, the lowest they can go is 40 or 45nm. I'm not sure of the 28nm node as i'm totally out of this sunset industry after 10 years.

In the semicon line, there is only 6 months to make the kill for every new tech node. After which prices will tumble. As far as what i can recall, the selling price for the 1st 12" wafer was around us5k. Not sure of the prices now.

Back then, Chrt's 65nm was ready, but no customers.

Yes 28nm should have been at Dresden.

Anyway i am puzzled. From what i know, the relationship between Temasek and CSI ended when GloFlo bought over Singapore based CSI hook, line and sinker. Temasek Holdings was essentially bailing out. GloFlo was and is still controlled by ATIC so why the persistent link between TH and GloFlo? :wacko:

And digging out more on their expansion, they bought over HNS in Tampines.

But that fab isn't producing much and is on very old technology.

They are trying to and experimenting doings MEMs there, but with not much success.

I don't think it's their choice to take over HNS fab. Based on GF financial status, I believe they shouldnhave a clear mind instead of taking over another troubled fab. Hence, I don't think they have a choice though..

GF even build a Fab in Malta in New York. To my opinion, it's simply a waste of money and resources. NXP knows the cost of operating and maintaining a fab in New York and closes it's facilities in FishKill.

↡ Advertisement