Chia Song Hwee is the Temasek Senior management

Wind30

GF even build a Fab in Malta in New York. To my opinion, it's simply a waste of money and resources. NXP knows the cost of operating and maintaining a fab in New York and closes it's facilities in FishKill.

GF thought ATIC is "kim sua" mah. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Yes 28nm should have been at Dresden.

Anyway i am puzzled. From what i know, the relationship between Temasek and CSI ended when GloFlo bought over Singapore based CSI hook, line and sinker. Temasek Holdings was essentially bailing out. GloFlo was and is still controlled by ATIC so why the persistent link between TH and GloFlo? :wacko:

The local management staffs are more or less the same. Just some demoyion when the GF people took over. Chia frpm CEO to COO, but still the highest ranking over in sg. Plus he reports previously to Temasek, the links are difficult to break unless there is a complete management change.

I don't think it's their choice to take over HNS fab. Based on GF financial status, I believe they shouldnhave a clear mind instead of taking over another troubled fab. Hence, I don't think they have a choice though..

HNS was bought over by Chrt before it was acquired by ATIC/GF.

I still remembered it spotted Chrt's new corp logo when I passed by few years back.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/40...ab-in-Singapore

The local management staffs are more or less the same. Just some demoyion when the GF people took over. Chia frpm CEO to COO, but still the highest ranking over in sg. Plus he reports previously to Temasek, the links are difficult to break unless there is a complete management change.

Now the rife allegation is that emplacement of that accountant is motivated by TH from what i gather in the thread. Isn't that a very wild allegation. People may have retain their respective appointments after the transition but who they are reporting to are different now. I consider this a very serious allegation imo.

GF even build a Fab in Malta in New York. To my opinion, it's simply a waste of money and resources. NXP knows the cost of operating and maintaining a fab in New York and closes it's facilities in FishKill.

When the Ang Mor talk about welfare and working conditions, the fabs are doomed to fail. To recover investments, the fabs pratically operate like sweatshops in airconditioned environment.

Just compare the Taiwanese fab culture, do u think the ang mors can take it?

Over in Asia, can get the cheap labours fm PRC and India to do the jobs.

Womder who they can get over there.

Now the rife allegation is that emplacement of that accountant is motivated by TH from what i gather in the thread. Isn't that a very wild allegation. People may have retain their respective appointments after the transition but who they are reporting to are different now. I consider this a very serious allegation imo.

Remember the whoo ha created when the rightful MP of Aljunied was not permitted to attend the hungry gjost festival events but only the grassroots can be invited. I'm not implying anything, but somehow the links are just too Difficult to differentiate, unless there is really a clean break.

Even in the recent Presidential elections, TT is still considered P8P man though he's no longer in politics, but still having connections with them through other appointments.

Relak man... Whether Chia is the right man for the new job or not,let the result speaks for itself. His performance at CSI should be based on stock price and financial results during his stay. Increasing shareholder value is the highest priority of any CEO of public listed company. With top salary comes top accountability.

Relak man... Whether Chia is the right man for the new job or not,let the result speaks for itself. His performance at CSI should be based on stock price and financial results during his stay. Increasing shareholder value is the highest priority of any CEO of public listed company. With top salary comes top accountability.

agreed.

so how did Chartered semi performed over the years when Chia was running the show?

It was going downhill most of the way and no matter how you look at it. From the share price perspective, I think he deserve a "fail" for his report card.

That is why I do not "add" in all the stories I have heard from my Wife because I am not sure if they are true

But things like stock price, profit, company expansion, etc all can be measured objectively. Look at where Chartered semi is in now...

Why are we asking Chia to head Temasek Strategy?? He is not working in the financial sector for the past 10 years. He has a poor track record in terms of chartered semi performance.

This are the kind of things which I think should be scrutinised in parliament. What sort of ACCOUNTABILITY are we talking about if we place the Guy who lead Chartered Semi to her demise run Temasek Strategy????

Edited by Wind30

what is wrong with that allegation?

I don't see anything wrong with TH asking GF to keep Chia during the transition, irrespective of performance issues. Maybe he is a "people" person so by keeping Chia the Singaporeans working in GF will feel "safer".

What I feel is "wrong" is putting Chia in Charge of Temasek Strategy after his work in Chartered Semi for nearly 10 years.

Edited by Wind30

Common misconception. The smartphone and the tablet market is booming. Mind you, the average handphone contains at least 9 chips which are manufactured by foundries.

it is not misconception.

we had been lossing this industries to china since a decade back liao.

it is not misconception.

wafer Fab we are losing to Taiwan, not china.

Chartered Semi's problem is always been that their technology is not competitive.

What can you expect when they put an Accountant as the CEO from 2002 onwards?? Same for SMRT. Put a DFS head as CEO.

After so many year as CEO of Chartered, what has he done? In the end, Chia and the CEO of GloFlo left at the same time last year in a management shakeup.

http://semimd.com/blog/2011/06/16/ceo-gros...lobalfoundries/

Seriously, the failure of Chartered Semi has really put a lot of electonics jobs in Singapore at risk.

What happens when Temasek fails?? are we going to sell Temasek to Abu Dhabi?

Yeap the CEO if a tech firm cannot be headed by a non techie.

SMRT CEO makes alot of money wor... but at the expense of deteriorating hardware...

As for whether he turned the company around, it's very subjective. Not sure if you know, he was the one who agreed to the joint venture with IBM for the 90nm node onwards. For this joint venture, engineers from both sides jointly developed 90, 65, 45 and 40 nm and having to pay an annual license fee of us40 million.

And for all the hard work, IBM only gave a small slice of the XBOX360 90 nm production for Chrt to taste and took it back later.

I think that was the reason why Chartered Semi shares went up during 2003-2004. Basically he is sacrificing Chartered long term health (R&D) capability for short term benefits (sales).

I work in a design house. I can tell you that the IBM design rules and the TSMC design rules are very different. By moving to IBM process it makes it very difficult for design houses to use Chartered as a second source. Chartered being the small player must try to keep their design rules as close to TSMC as possible so that chip designs can be ported over easily.

The other thing is of course relying on IBM for R&D. Basically, it became a stage whereby Chartered semi is just Monkey see Monkey do. How to excel in the tech sector?

Seriously, all Chia did was to tidy up the balance sheet for the short term in the early days. On the technology front, I think it is a SUPER FAIL.... which is sad for every singaporean in the electronic sector.

Yeap the CEO if a tech firm cannot be headed by a non techie.

SMRT CEO makes alot of money wor... but at the expense of deteriorating hardware...

i kinda disagree. i believe the Chief Technology Officer cannot be a non techie, that's true.

But CEO can be a non techie. this is becuase the success of tech biz does not lie merely in how good a product is engineered. if u study Marketing, u will know it is about satisfying the demands of the consumers, not about engineering a the best product u can, u can engineer all u want but the consumers still do not like it. e..e gCreative mp3 players vs Ipod.

so the problem with tech CEO is that if he is not aware of aspects like marketing, he will be very myopic in his biz decisions in basing on just engineering.

Then there is the finance aspect of business like being able to raise capital etc.

i kinda disagree. i believe the Chief Technology Officer cannot be a non techie, that's true.

But CEO can be a non techie. this is becuase the success of tech biz does not lie merely in how good a product is engineered. if u study Marketing, u will know it is about satisfying the demands of the consumers, not about engineering a the best product u can, u can engineer all u want but the consumers still do not like it. e..e gCreative mp3 players vs Ipod.

so the problem with tech CEO is that if he is not aware of aspects like marketing, he will be very myopic in his biz decisions in basing on just engineering.

Then there is the finance aspect of business like being able to raise capital etc.

or maybe there is too many red tape around so he cannot give "extra" services to customer??

what is wrong with that allegation?

I don't see anything wrong with TH asking GF to keep Chia during the transition, irrespective of performance issues. Maybe he is a "people" person so by keeping Chia the Singaporeans working in GF will feel "safer".

What I feel is "wrong" is putting Chia in Charge of Temasek Strategy after his work in Chartered Semi for nearly 10 years.

i wasn't aware that there were corporate relationship(s) between ATIC and GloFlo.

it is not misconception.

Wind30 mentioned this liao. i was referring to the entire industry as a whole while wind30 was referring to the viability of the industry in sgp.

↡ Advertisement