How To Avoid Dementia.

2BDriver

Me too. I "lost" my car once in Suntec. I remember the animal but just couldnt find that animal!!! I was searching all over B1 when my car was actually parked in B2. [laugh] I think took me 30-45mins to realise it.

Nowadays, I just go back to where I exited the carpark to the shopping mall. Use back the same lift or exit door.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I lost my car in Center Point car park must be 27 years ago.

Took me hours to find.

Also lost a Rental car in car park at Heathrow Terminal 3.

Panicked as I really thought it had been stolen.

First 24-hour dementia go-to point launched in Yishun

SINGAPORE - Singapore's first 24/7 "dementia go-to point" officially launched on Sept 10 (Sunday).

It is at the Sree Narayana Mission Nursing Home in Yishun, also making it the country's first such go-to point in a nursing facility.

These points, of which there are 58 around the island, serve as places where lost and wandering people with dementia can be brought to by members of the public.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/first-24-hour-dementia-go-to-point-launched-in-yishun

• Praise 2

i actually thought is bring to the police post first. Since most people will lodge a missing persons report after 24 hrs.

This place is 24-hour. Most NPPs have fixed opening hours.

So I guess this is another alternative.

I left my car in Desaru and when returned to the field carpark but cannot find it. Searching up and down the carpark (very large field) still cannot find the car. Then only after 1/2 hour realised that the car was stolen. Does this count as partial dementia?

• Praise 5

Dementia clearly linked to chronic boozing: Study

PARIS (AFP) - Chronic heavy drinking is a major risk factor for all types of dementia, especially early onset of the disease, according to a study published Wednesday (Feb 21) in The Lancet Public Health.

Researchers examining more than 57,000 cases of early-onset dementia in France found that well over half were either alcohol-related, or accompanied by an additional diagnosis of alcohol abuse.

Overall, alcohol use disorders were associated with a three-fold higher risk of all types of dementia.

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/dementia-clearly-linked-to-chronic-boozing-study

• Praise 1

How to tell the difference between Dementia and Forgetfulness?

During CNY visiting, was told that my wife's side Grandma always never get her change after paying for stuff with cash. They all(MIL and relatives) say she has dementia. But i see her very alert when visiting and playing majong.

So i dont think she has dementia. Maybe is just forgetfulness.

How to tell the difference between Dementia and Forgetfulness?

During CNY visiting, was told that my wife's side Grandma always never get her change after paying for stuff with cash. They all(MIL and relatives) say she has dementia. But i see her very alert when visiting and playing majong.

So i dont think she has dementia. Maybe is just forgetfulness.

Short term memory loss is a sign. They still have their long term memory like you described. There are  a wide range of symptoms actually.

Although my mil has had dementia for 12 years or so it's only in the last 6 months that the deterioration has accelerated.  Now we aren't sure if she recognises us all.  Very tough on my wife who is her main care giver.

But a few years ago even though she couldn't remember what she ate for dinner the previous night she was able to tell us all about her relatives, siblings and children, all full names and year of birth in so much detail that we were able to draw up a complete ancestry chart.

Edited by Neutrino

To my knowing, there is no self-diagnostic available for dementia, probably have to make a trip down to the Dr for preliminary assessment and see the course of action from there.

Personal experience.

Sometimes "forgetfulness" is due to one taking on too many tasks and juggling too many balls at the same time. And the sense of frustration and anxiety arising therefrom.

Better to break down tasks into bite size activities and plan in a systematic manner. Am sure will see reduction in "forgetfulness".

Multi-tasking is way over-rated, imho.

But with age, of course, the probability of dementia does increase with a natural decline in our faculties, so I reckon we just have to do brain-healthy activities. I subscribe to the thinking that if you don't use it, you will lose it. 

• Praise 2

To my knowing, there is no self-diagnostic available for dementia, probably have to make a trip down to the Dr for preliminary assessment and see the course of action from there.

When my mil was first diagnosed they asked her questions like 'what day is it?' what is the date today?', who is the PM?,'

Now she is a pioneer generation who can't read.

So how is she supposed to know the day or date or PM as she is deaf and can't hear what's on the TV.

I didn't know the date myself and sometimes not the day.  When you are retired these things aren't important unless you have an appointment.

They also asked her to remember three items, say phone, car, apple for 15 minutes.  She did that easily.  But she was still diagnosed as suffering from dementia.

She used to like doing 48 piece jigsaw puzzles.  No picture to follow.  She has severely disabled hands due to rheumatism so she needed large jigsaw pieces.   But she could do these jigsaws in seven minutes, - faster than a doctor.  We had 30 plus different puzzles so she had to remember a lot of pictures to complete.  She could concentrate on playing these jigsaws for over two hours and was very competitive with herself wanting to know her fastest time always.

But she was still diagnosed with early onset dementia.

I'm not saying the doctors were wrong right from the start but I don't know what indicators they could possibly have used.

When my mil was first diagnosed they asked her questions like 'what day is it?' what is the date today?', who is the PM?,'

Now she is a pioneer generation who can't read.

So how is she supposed to know the day or date or PM as she is deaf and can't hear what's on the TV.

I didn't know the date myself and sometimes not the day.  When you are retired these things aren't important unless you have an appointment.

They also asked her to remember three items, say phone, car, apple for 15 minutes.  She did that easily.  But she was still diagnosed as suffering from dementia.

She used to like doing 48 piece jigsaw puzzles.  No picture to follow.  She has severely disabled hands due to rheumatism so she needed large jigsaw pieces.   But she could do these jigsaws in seven minutes, - faster than a doctor.  We had 30 plus different puzzles so she had to remember a lot of pictures to complete.  She could concentrate on playing these jigsaws for over two hours and was very competitive with herself wanting to know her fastest time always.

But she was still diagnosed with early onset dementia.

I'm not saying the doctors were wrong right from the start but I don't know what indicators they could possibly have used.

Maybe based on statistics, age and dementia has direct correlation and Drs are probably going to err on the side of caution and would like to take early remedial steps before something more serious manifests.

I wana lose 10 pounds as fast as possible, I have tried starving myself, and have basketball 1 a week, and swimming 2 times a week. still nothing is working. Does anyone have any ways i can lose weight???

• Dislike 2

Healthily and safely.  No, don't do that. 

Volunteer or pay to join the obese bmt program.  Double confirm its going to be more than ten kilograms.  Not pounds. 

Dementia thread? 

Intelligent people with dementia are harder to diagnose as they use intelligence to mask the symptoms of dementia.  Try getting them to count backwards from twenty smoothly without stops or breaks.  Can trip the smart guys up. 

Stay active go work be happy person.  Do stuff such as building Gundams,  furniture or YouTube videos how to install wheel spacers.

Cooking will do it for me. 

↡ Advertisement