Chiropractic Treatment

Elmo

go to park find those inverted bench. FOC. :D

You're quite right one can try it out on a monkey swing or parallel bars at the park, but make sure you are fit enough to curl yourself up to recover from being inverted, or get a friend to help

↡ Advertisement

There is a reason why Chiropractors are NOT regulated in sg.

nuff said.

I didn't know it was not regulated.

Now that I know. Please try my new Chiropractic practice.

50% for MCF members. 

Only for ladies below 25 years old in good shape.

:D  

• Praise 3

https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-evidence-shows-that-chiropractors-do-more-harm-than-good/

The author is someone who studies complementary medicine. I think he's already likely to be more open minded than most other medical professionals.

One of my teachers in medical school kept saying: ‘A treatment that has no side-effects is already a good one.’ These seemed to be wise words worth remembering. But today I think he may have been not entirely correct: there is no therapy that does not have potential to cause adverse effects. What really counts, in life as in medicine, is a reasonable balance between risk and benefit.

Chiropractic treatment is an excellent example of the importance of this balance. Chiropractors rely heavily on manipulating their patients’ spines, and the benefits are not at all clear. Practitioners usually insist that their manipulations are effective for a bafflingly wide range of conditions. On the internet, for instance, it is hard to find an illness that chiropractors do not claim to cure. However, the published evidence generally reveals these claims to be little more than wishful thinking. Therefore, even relatively minor side-effects might tilt the risk/benefit balance into the negative.

There is now a lot of evidence showing that more than half of all patients suffer mild to moderate adverse effects after seeing a chiropractor. These are mostly local and referred pains that usually last for two to three days. Chiropractors often claim that these are necessary steps on the road to getting better. On a good day, we might even believe them.

But unfortunately there is more, much more. Several hundred cases have been documented in which patients were seriously and often permanently damaged after chiropractic manipulations. The latest to hit the headlines was that of a 32-year-old woman from Jakarta who died after being treated by an American chiropractor. What usually happens in these tragic instances is that, upon manipulation of the upper spine, an artery supplying the brain is over-stretched and simply breaks up, leading to a stroke which can prove fatal.

Chiropractors do not like to hear any of this, and either claim that these are extremely rare events, or deny any connection with their manipulations. Regrettably, the hard evidence is not as solid as one would wish. In conventional medicine we have effective systems to monitor adverse effects of all interventions — not so in alternative medicine. Therefore, the true frequency of such tragedies is anyone’s guess. About 30 deaths after chiropractic have been documented in medical literature, but they are probably just the tip of a much bigger iceberg. We have shown, for instance, that in the UK the under-reporting of such instances is very close to 100 per cent.

All clinicians, alternative or conventional, must obtain informed consent from patients before starting a therapy. This ethical imperative means chiropractors must tell their patients firstly about the very limited evidence that spinal manipulations are effective; secondly, about the possibility of causing serious harm; and thirdly about other treatments which might be better. But who would give their consent, knowing all this? The way many chiropractors solve this dilemma is simple: they ignore the ethical imperative by treating patients without informed consent. There is evidence to suggest that ‘only 23 per cent [of UK chiropractors] report always discussing serious risk’.

How can this be? Chiropractic is a respected and well-established profession, you might think. True, in the UK, chiropractors have been regulated for many years by statute and have their own Royal College and General Chiropractic Council. But in July 2014, the Professional Standards Authority conducted an audit of the GCC and concluded that although the GCC’s operation of its processes had not created risks to public safety, ‘the extent of the deficiencies we found… raises concern about the extent to which the public can have confidence in the GCC’s operation…’

I have often said that the even the best regulation of nonsense must result in nonsense. The PSA’s verdict seems to support my view. As long as serious doubts about the value and integrity of chiropractic exist, we should remember an important foundation of health care: the precautionary principle. It compels us to use, whenever possible, only those therapies which demonstrably generate more good than harm. A critical analysis of the evidence shows that chiropractic does not belong to this category.

Edzard Ernst is Emeritus Professor of Complementary Medicine at the University of Exeter.

• Praise 2

Not all Chiropractors are quacks.

Some of them are endorsed by the best people in their field

and I don't mean farmers. Please only go to the safe ones

that you thrust and the ones that thrust you back.  [thumbsup]

post-23002-0-70792800-1476943275_thumb.jpg   

No fees was ever paid for any endorsements by Jamesc

and no fees will ever be paid so please don't bother to ask.

• Praise 3

I liked to watch the chiro youtube vids....for the cracking sounds made.

Quite addictive.

:XD:

Curious about what inversion table...so went carousell to check...

woah..used also need 200 bucks.

or is that a steal?

Edited by Ahseng

I liked to watch the chiro youtube vids....for the cracking sounds made.

Quite addictive.

:XD:

even better when u feel it on your spine! Shiok!!!    :D

Chiropractors cannot practise medicine as doctors: MOH

A new law was passed in 2011 to regulate allied health professionals, such as physiotherapists, but chiropractors were left out because they are alternative healthcare providers.PHOTO: THE NEW PAPER

Published
Dec 18, 2016, 5:00 am SGT

Chiropractors cannot advertise or hold themselves out as medical practitioners, said the Ministry of Health.

"Chiropractors, who are not registered medical practitioners under the Medical Registration Act (MRA), cannot practise medicine as doctors," said an MOH spokesman.

He was responding to The Sunday Times' queries on chiropractors who use "Dr" or "Doctor of Chiropractic" in their titles, which some customers say mislead them to assume that they are medical doctors.

"Patients and their caregivers are advised to exercise due diligence and consult appropriate healthcare practitioners for their medical problems. When in doubt, they should consult a registered medical practitioner," added the MOH spokesman.

However, chiropractors say that the "Dr" title is legitimate.

"'Doctor of Chiropractic' is the degree conferred by North American Chiropractic Institutions, and the honorific title used in Australia and other countries that do not confer a doctoral professional degree," said Dr Janet Ruth Sosna from Elder Chiropractic Clinic.

A new law was passed in 2011 to regulate allied health professionals, such as physiotherapists.

However, chiropractors were left out because they are alternative healthcare providers, then Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said.

The Chiropractic Association said it would like to see the industry regulated.

"Singapore should follow Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand that have formally regulated chiropractic care in their countries. This can prevent rogues from entering Singapore to take advantage of an unregulated environment," said Mr Neil Stakes, vice-president of the association.

He added: "With the large practices that employ chiropractors who are recent graduates in a commission earning model, the care that is given is often without consideration of long-term best interests. Emphasis is made on completing the course of treatments so that another course can be prescribed."

Janice Tai

Seems that a lot of people have back problems be it young or old. A lot has got to do with bad posture from looking at cellphones, tablets, laptops. Not just low back but mid and neck as well.

Even worse is MRI usually cannot pick up the source of the pain and because of that, doctors have no idea where the pain comes from and often end up with pain killers as the long term measure.

• Praise 1

I've had back pain for years.

You have to be careful which exercises you use because exercises to relieve flexion won't help if your problem relates to extension.

I use the first two exercises in this video whenever I feel my back pain coming on

Sorts it out for me because no tablets I've been given help.

• Praise 2

Seems that a lot of people have back problems be it young or old. A lot has got to do with bad posture from looking at cellphones, tablets, laptops. Not just low back but mid and neck as well.

Even worse is MRI usually cannot pick up the source of the pain and because of that, doctors have no idea where the pain comes from and often end up with pain killers as the long term measure.

Doctors cannot even cure the common cold and now they cannot detect pain?

They are only good for burying their mistakes.

Doctors will probably claim there is no scientific evidence

that going for a good massage is good for your health.

Foot massage, head massage, body massage, I love

it all every part and I always feel good after one.  [thumbsup]

I've had back pain for years.

You have to be careful which exercises you use because exercises to relieve flexion won't help if your problem relates to extension.

I use the first two exercises in this video whenever I feel my back pain coming on

Sorts it out for me because no tablets I've been given help.

How do you handle it when the pain comes on in the middle of work?

How do you handle it when the pain comes on in the middle of work?

In what position? Sitting? Standing?

If sitting for too long, get up and walk around, do some stretching exercise. Your office chair might also be a factor. For me I gave up on office chairs. Went to used furniture shop to look for solid wood chairs. Bought a pair to put one at home too. Underneath office chairs are made of plywood which will go out of shape after a while. Can't last long. Not good for your back.

Your weight will also affect your back. I won't want to know. It's up to individual.

I suggest you to strengthen your core muscles. Do appropriate weight training to strengthen your core and lower back muscles. For me I have free weights at home and I pump iron whenever I'm free. No backache even past 40. I suspect ppl who have back pain often is due to weak core and weak lower back muscles. Get strained easily. Invest in some weights and do some training to strengthen. You will also perform better in bed.

In what position? Sitting? Standing?

If sitting for too long, get up and walk around, do some stretching exercise. Your office chair might also be a factor. For me I gave up on office chairs. Went to used furniture shop to look for solid wood chairs. Bought a pair to put one at home too. Underneath office chairs are made of plywood which will go out of shape after a while. Can't last long. Not good for your back.

Your weight will also affect your back. I won't want to know. It's up to individual.

I suggest you to strengthen your core muscles. Do appropriate weight training to strengthen your core and lower back muscles. For me I have free weights at home and I pump iron whenever I'm free. No backache even past 40. I suspect ppl who have back pain often is due to weak core and weak lower back muscles. Get strained easily. Invest in some weights and do some training to strengthen. You will also perform better in bed.

Mine is more of a neck and upper back issue. Most of the time it's hard to do stretching in the middle of work. I love to do chin tucks, the really stretches the upper back.

↡ Advertisement