Unusual or Rare Cars

Theoldjaffa

I believe Changi had a SAAB 9-5 Friction Tester

http://www.sarsys.se/content/sarsys-saab-9-5-wagon-friction-tester

https://www.saabsunited.com/2007/11/saab-friction-testing.html

Modern friction testing Saabs are primarily customised by The Scandinavian Airport and Road Systems AB (SARSYS).
The SFT is programmed to measure in accordance with regulations issued by authorities such as ICAO, SCAA and the FAA and is designated for both operational and maintenance testing.

• * High-performance front-wheel drive car
    * Excellent maneuverability
    * First class working environment for the operator
    * Proven reliability in all climates, from the coldest parts of Northern Europe and Canada to very hot places like Saudi Arabia and Singapore
    * Large space in the rear provides unimpeded access to the measuring system, making service and maintenance work easy and comfortable.
    * Entire measuring system contained within the car, which retains it’s exceptional driving qualities.
    * Self-contained configuration provides speed and smoothness of operation.

post-23996-0-28574800-1474530666.png

Really, well sorry abt the link.

But good that its fake or otherwise many Singaporeans may jump into binary trading..

Thanks!

I got sold on the link ...

I got sold on the link ...ð.. Initially i was kind of wondering .... But the link was so long a read i tot it was true with all this Binary crap

No, no it's definitely possible to make a small fortune on options.

Answer 1: if you start off with a large one. :D

Answer 2: if you're the broker. :D :d

I know next to nothing about aviation but maybe you can enlighten me: how exactly would a very fast car help in "testing" a runway?

If it's a question of length, any vehicle equipped with an odometer would do, though I suspect there are more accurate surveying tools preferred for this sort of thing.

If it's a question of load, then a light sports car is the last thing that comes to mind as a suitable test mule.

If it's a question of evenness and surface texture, that sounds vaguely plausible, though I would imagine any vehicle with a stiff enough suspension (or totally rigid suspension) would've done the job. And I would've thought having shock measuring equipment on board would be mandatory, although that would be difficult in something as compact as a supercar.

I've only ever heard of (unused) runways being used to test cars, never the other way around.

I confess myself intrigued. I am expecting to learn something new, hopefully about aviation, but if not, at least about the creative ways our gahmen found to waste our money even way back then under the old man. :D

I vaguely remember this, as I have read an article about it when I was young.

Apparently it was about measuring the amount of friction of the runway surface at the typical landing speeds of an aircraft. Hence they needed a supercar to reach those high speeds.

Later on, the with improvement in technology, they just needed a normal car and then calculate the data from saner speeds.

• Praise 1

Tale of 2 generations (a quarter century apart).

2ppatsh.jpg

Wa, original car number somemore and the owner even paid $51k to renew this car for 10 year coe! By the next end coe cycle for this car, it is already 39 year old!

• Praise 1

Yea, it was supposedly to test the even-ness of the runway. But that's what i heard/read. could always be wrong.

Guess the test failed :D