Budget 2012 - government buying buses?

Scb11980

SBS & SMRT are privatised & runs a profit based service with record profits yearly...why are we using tax payer's money to fund their profits? they get $$ from taxpayers & then increase fares to further suck the cents out of the commuters. good business model man!sure win.

You heard of corporate welfare?

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Buy more buses is OK, it will benefit the public. So its OK to use taxpayers money.

But I wonder can our roads take in the extra 800 vehicles? Are we able to hire 800 new bus captains?

Since we on the topic of the budget, do you feel left out in this budget? I don't see much benefits for me, apart from the scraping of ARF which won't affect me since I don't intend to change car soon.

Buy more buses is OK, it will benefit the public. So its OK to use taxpayers money.

But I wonder can our roads take in the extra 800 vehicles? Are we able to hire 800 new bus captains?

seem like problem too isn't it? not only 800, i think 1600 as they need second shift [rolleyes]

when govt did't help the people, when bus crowded and car owners here also complaint on their behalf....

now they want to help, you all also complaint <_<

I can bet with you, there will be fresh complaons of road too congested due too "too many public tranport buses".

My guess is go thru govt can exempt certain tax and coe. If buy thru private bus company, no exemption, bus company will kao peh and have price hike. [scholar]

So Scb11980 you better repent for doubting our govt. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

actually occasionally i take bus.

so it is good new for me.

hope frequency shorten.

fare less hope to drop IMO.

but i also wish better bus captains.

more courteous,better driving. [laugh]

motherland has lots of bus drivers for you to choose

govt buy bus correct what..

SBS can only afford a certain number which is still not enough.

so govt chip in the rest.

got wrong meh?

gov buy car for u ai mai? u chip in the rest [laugh] [laugh]

govt buy bus correct what..

SBS can only afford a certain number which is still not enough.

so govt chip in the rest.

got wrong meh?

tml i open a fish farm. garmen pay for my fish starting stock and the necessary paraphernalia can or not?

Fact is, our public transport companies are so protected. Yet, they can be given so many free buses!!!

I rather they open up the whole game by allowing free competition. Am sure some of these private bus companies like Tong Tar, West Point, etc would like to participate in.

Edited by Kangadrool

Fact is, our public transport companies are so protected. Yet, they can be given so many free buses!!!

I rather they open up the whole game by allowing free competition. Am sure some of these private bus companies like Tong Tar, West Point, etc would like to participate in.

last time you remember what pinky cited when queried about the possibility of having competition? he said oh, ee have needless bloodletting all out price wars and competition and end up the public will be ultimately slapped with losses pssed on. no mention on QoS.

frankly, prices are going up up and away and services are going down down. i don't see how consumers got much to lose today with introduced competition.

not against having more & newer buses, but question the funding from taxpayers. it's not like the companies are losing money & needs the bailout. all these funding only goes to their bottom line & paying their CEOs millions.

last time you remember what pinky cited when queried about the possibility of having competition? he said oh, ee have needless bloodletting all out price wars and competition and end up the public will be ultimately slapped with losses pssed on. no mention on QoS.

frankly, prices are going up up and away and services are going down down. i don't see how consumers got much to lose today with introduced competition.

If they are so scared of bloodletting, they could gradually open up the competition. Nobody asked them to suddenly open up the floodgate.

Frankly, I don't expect the fares charged by private companies to be much lower than SBS/SMRT. It could even be higher.

But, at least the overcrowding can be alleviated and serve as a wake up call for monopoly public bus company.

Supercharged

Govt protect the bus companies so as to "control" them.

The GOV uses money from GIC, Temasek profit to buy bus for it citizen.

Okay what.

No like they use tax money to buy bus and charge citizen a premium to use it

is SMRT a public listed company or garmen own? if it's a public listed company, then can ALL other public listed company ask garmen to buy them their truck? it's "weird" for garmen to pay for it. how are they going to register those buses on their book? "freebies" from garmen?............ [laugh]

↡ Advertisement