Budget 2012: 12.5 billion of Defence spending

Wind30

One thing I don't like about our budget is the defence spending. 25% of our budget. For what???

And the stupid retired general still say EVERY CENT we spend in SAF is WORTH IT.

What is he smoking???

I was recalled for my first reservist last year at age 36. I was a clerk during NS. My reservist unit is wargame center. They called around 50 of us, and most of us are 36 years old, first time reservist. Call us back for one week to do what?

teach us how to use a stupid wargame simulation program and press button for the SAF trainees. So our reservist is first 3 days training how to use program which can be done in 1day. most of the time is spent idling.... Then the last 2 days, the trainess come in, then it is like a big wayang exercise. Play computer game like that.

For that they recalled fifty 36 year olds and paid our companies one week of our wages. I don't understand why they don't call those young reservist who has just started their careers and probably cost much less.

OR a better solution is ask those SAF trainees to spend one more day learning how to press the mouse themselves. I bet their pay is much less than a normal 36 year old. It is totally not cost efficient. It is like spending money because if I don't, next year my budget get cut.

It is crazy. Just to save the SAF trainees one day of their time, they are willing to pay the same number of 36 year old reservists ONE WEEK of pay just to train us, so we can run the programs for them. How wasteful can you be?

I am curious about the experience of other bros here who are in perhaps operation ready units. How "wasteful" or "frugal" is your SAF unit?

↡ Advertisement

The figure is to tell our neighbor , we are spening this amount on defence . At least , they will not come up with crazy idea.if your defence budget is low, can you sleep peaceful at night.

Edited by Eaton

Maybe the amount is to buy secret Milan and Stinger missiles?

Alot of brand new tanks, trucks, weapons are under plastic wraps, waiting for the day war start.

The only way to defend Singapore is to shoot down the enemy planes and ships before they reach Singapore.

36 years first reservist....damm lucky....

Only 3-4 years left before retire.

The figure is to tell our neighbor , we are spening this amount on defence . At least , they will not come up with crazy idea.if your defence budget is low, can you sleep peaceful at night.

Agree but the money must be well spent. Does it help to throw money away? How is saf spending all the money?

No one owes a us a living.

Every cent is spent with much consideration to budget and relevance but sometimes administrative mishaps do occur. Key thing is to remember that we are men of Singapore.

We owe it to our land to defend it and our family every day.

Agree but the money must be well spent. Does it help to throw money away? How is saf spending all the money?

Some weapon must be secret. You cannot tell your enemy what you have.

One thing I don't like about our budget is the defence spending. 25% of our budget. For what???

And the stupid retired general still say EVERY CENT we spend in SAF is WORTH IT.

What is he smoking???

I was recalled for my first reservist last year at age 36. I was a clerk during NS. My reservist unit is wargame center. They called around 50 of us, and most of us are 36 years old, first time reservist. Call us back for one week to do what?

teach us how to use a stupid wargame simulation program and press button for the SAF trainees. So our reservist is first 3 days training how to use program which can be done in 1day. most of the time is spent idling.... Then the last 2 days, the trainess come in, then it is like a big wayang exercise. Play computer game like that.

For that they recalled fifty 36 year olds and paid our companies one week of our wages. I don't understand why they don't call those young reservist who has just started their careers and probably cost much less.

OR a better solution is ask those SAF trainees to spend one more day learning how to press the mouse themselves. I bet their pay is much less than a normal 36 year old. It is totally not cost efficient. It is like spending money because if I don't, next year my budget get cut.

It is crazy. Just to save the SAF trainees one day of their time, they are willing to pay the same number of 36 year old reservists ONE WEEK of pay just to train us, so we can run the programs for them. How wasteful can you be?

I am curious about the experience of other bros here who are in perhaps operation ready units. How "wasteful" or "frugal" is your SAF unit?

[laugh] [laugh] Need ask officer who plan on things. Sometimes too many things they also can overlook on small issues.

Edited by Yewheng

Defence is one thing i don't think we should scrimp on.. Don't forget, our whole island is within arty range from virtually everywhere in Johor.. A few barrage and our CBD will be lying in smoking ruins..

LOL...like that also comprain. Chao clerk dun have to do things like ippt, obstacle course, lift heavy objects or even chiong up a hill. Stop being such a wuss lah.

LOL...like that also comprain. Chao clerk dun have to do things like ippt, obstacle course, lift heavy objects or even chiong up a hill. Stop being such a wuss lah.

Did you read my post? I am not complaining that the reservist is too xiong lah. Neither is to try to get out of reservist.

A lot of my fellow reservist mates actually enjoy being called up. We just go there at 830am. Sometimes can book out early at 4-5pm. no need to stay in. Just press mouse in a AIR CON room. Many of them prefer this to their normal jobs...

The point is how useless and wasteful the exercise seems to us.

Anyway, I am quite surprised a lot of people here is quite supportive of SAF. So maybe my unit is the odd one out. The rest of SAF is good and prudent so it is not that bad.

Edited by Wind30

Can idle want to complain. Xiong also want to complain. Like that how ?

Frankly, everybody plays a part whether small or big. Whether impt or not, everybody has value to make things work. :wacko:

Poker? No one can really varify/audit such figures?! :D

Can idle want to complain. Xiong also want to complain. Like that how ?

Frankly, everybody plays a part whether small or big. Whether impt or not, everybody has value to make things work. :wacko:

l will also complain when disrupted

from work plus not elite appointment holder. [:(]

Did you read my post? I am not complaining that the reservist is too xiong lah. Neither is to try to get out of reservist.

A lot of my fellow reservist mates actually enjoy being called up. We just go there at 830am. Sometimes can book out early at 4-5pm. no need to stay in. Just press mouse in a AIR CON room. Many of them prefer this to their normal jobs...

The point is how useless and wasteful the exercise seems to us.

Anyway, I am quite surprised a lot of people here is quite supportive of SAF. So maybe my unit is the odd one out. The rest of SAF is good and prudent so it is not that bad.

SAF has to be as comPetent, ready, efficient etc as Possible else some one will whack little red dot.... no kidding

Why does Singapore need to spend more than Malaysia and Indonesia combined?

Will Singapore feel threatened by Malaysia, if Malaysia spends more than the combined SG and Thai's expediture on military?

-_-

12.5 bil can save alot of poor people from suffering

from housing to medical needs

why are buying missles that will eventually expire and be thrown away

out priorities in this country appears funny