ST Forum: Issue Of Parking In Private Estates A Complex One

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_768477.html

Issue of parking in private estates a complex one

Published on Feb 20, 2012

WHILE the Land Transport Authority regularly enforces against illegal parking or stopping along expressways and major arterial roads, we manage the enforcement in private residential estates taking into account the needs of its many users ('Illegal parking a chronic problem' by Mr Song Koon Poh; last Monday).

Public roads in private residential estates serve its residents, community service providers and visitors to the estate, so parking needs will vary among different private estates.

Where the situation is complex, we consult the neighbourhood committee, grassroots and residents when working out the parking restriction arrangement.

For example, residents and visitors to an estate may be allowed to park along the roads if they do not pose a safety hazard, obstruct traffic or block access, and if the community at large accepts such an arrangement.

We seek the understanding of residents that the issue of parking in private estates is a complex one, especially as more households own more than one car. We will continue to work closely with the residents in each community to strike an appropriate balance between providing for parking needs and ensuring smooth traffic flow.

Where there is indiscriminate parking, we will take enforcement action against these vehicles.

We thank Mr Song for his feedback.

Helen Lim (Ms)

Director, Media Relations & Public Education

Land Transport Authority

Edited by Vulcann
↡ Advertisement

For example, residents and visitors to an estate may be allowed to park along the roads if they do not pose a safety hazard, obstruct traffic or block access, and if the community at large accepts such an arrangement.

No hard and fast rule?

So if all the neighbours agree to a certain degree of "illegal" parkings as they deem fit, parking enforcement wardens will pan chan?

:huh:

No hard and fast rule?

So if all the neighbours agree to a certain degree of "illegal" parkings as they deem fit, parking enforcement wardens will pan chan?

I heard in 1 estate, the neighbors want to buy up the roads in their enclave to keep out the traffic wardens.

I heard in 1 estate, the neighbors want to buy up the roads in their enclave to keep out the traffic wardens.

I am not surprised as there are many such rich folks in Singapore.

I even know of a corner unit owner somewhere in the east buying off a empty plot next to his to build a garage for his fleet of exotic cars.

No hard and fast rule?

They agree so that they will also benefit from getting summons unnecessarily mah.....

They agree so that they will also benefit from getting summons unnecessarily mah.....

i think if such roads serve mainly (really mainly) the residents and their visitors and seldom used by others, and when "legal" parking spaces are limited (roadside ones etc), the residents can persuade MP / LTA etc to give them some 'space'.... there are such roads nobody else want to use except those mentioned above. [:(]

i think if such roads serve mainly (really mainly) the residents and their visitors and seldom used by others, and when "legal" parking spaces are limited (roadside ones etc), the residents can persuade MP / LTA etc to give them some 'space'.... there are such roads nobody else want to use except those mentioned above. [:(]

loss of revenue leh

loss of revenue leh

no lah, private estate roads seldom have coupon parking, the question is whether to book illegal parking against unbroken whiteline etc etc.....

I am ok with landed properties parking their 2nd to x nos. of rides along the road outside their units provided they do not obstruct traffic, which will to a large extend depends where their units are situated.

Some units are located at dead ends with no through traffic so probably alright for them to fully occupy the spaces provided they have some sort of tacit agreement with the neighbours there.

There are, however, other units which unfortunately are located along thoroughfares and when both sides of the roads are parked with vehicles, it is really a challenge to negotiate especially those one-lane roads.

An example will be Lichi/Wan Tho Ave between Upper Aljunied Rd and Upper Serangoon Rd. Bros who use this route often will know that illegal parkings are getting worst especially at night so when driving along this stretch one have to be extra careful.

kenna booked no need to pay fine meh?

of course pay... but residents will see MP, presto, one later, wardens all too busy to check the private roads liao.... (of course first they must convince the MP, not suka suka one)

of course pay... but residents will see MP, presto, one later, wardens all too busy to check the private roads liao.... (of course first they must convince the MP, not suka suka one)

does Serangoon gardens ring a bell?

In conclusion.. Sg dun have enough parking lots. LTA shd really relook their policy about parking spaces. What's the point of being first world when ppl are forced to park illegally. As far as I know. it's not a matter of avoiding parking charges, but simply the regulations do not allow creation of more parking lots.

kenna booked no need to pay fine meh?

aiyo, my english so bad you cant understand ahh? pay fine first... then talk to MP to ask warden relax next time... die lah, i must go take psle english again [bigcry]

Complain more and what they will get is a pair of nice yellow lines outside their doorstep ....

Visited a friend staying in Loyang Rise and the parking there is horrible ...

Double yellow lines on one side of the road and residents there are driving up the grass patch and parking on raised area outside their house ...

Residents get booked for parking on the wrong side of the road ...

Pots and rubbish bins are used to reserve space ...

And according to friend there are a few [hur] houses who were caught vandalizing "unfamiliar" cars parked outside their houses ...