How do Ah Beng Handphone shops survive?

AhJason

I used to help a friend manage her chain for sometime. Basically their main business come from export. There are different kind of exporters as well, some regular, some come by randomly; they export to different parts of the world. You'll be surprised how popular some new/used phones are in some countries.

This also in turn determines the trade in price phone companies take your old phone in [;)]

Very true. I've relatives in such business and export plays a big part. Those exporters can just drop by the shop to ask for phones. Pay cash on the spot, take in at rather high price too.

Take, pay and go, much easier than selling to end users.

Anyone notice that Ah Beng Mobile Phone shops are sprouting every where. They sell the same 2nd hand mobile phone goods, then the Ah Beng owners sit at counter slapping flies or playing PSP. Not much business.

How do they survive?

I think the same question could be asked for all those shops with no business. How do they survive overheads??

Puzzling :wacko:

wash black money!!!! [laugh][lipsrsealed]

Anyone notice that Ah Beng Mobile Phone shops are sprouting every where. They sell the same 2nd hand mobile phone goods, then the Ah Beng owners sit at counter slapping flies or playing PSP. Not much business.

How do they survive?

I think the same question could be asked for all those shops with no business. How do they survive overheads??

Puzzling :wacko:

Miniature money laundary?! :D

I have this old Samsung Note N7000 which has past its warranty but needs repair,

When the usb is connected, the laptop is able to detect the phone and display the contents on my computer screen. After a few minutes, the laptop will lose connection with the phone.

The phone charges depending on its mood and it sometimes shows the charging icon but the battery strength decreases instead of increases. I call it "fake charging".

Ok, I suspect it's the usb charging circuitry that is giving the problem and am thinking of finding an Ah Beng shop in Clementi, Jurong East or in the west area to get it fixed.

Any recommendation?

I have this old Samsung Note N7000 which has past its warranty but needs repair,

When the usb is connected, the laptop is able to detect the phone and display the contents on my computer screen. After a few minutes, the laptop will lose connection with the phone.

The phone charges depending on its mood and it sometimes shows the charging icon but the battery strength decreases instead of increases. I call it "fake charging".

Ok, I suspect it's the usb charging circuitry that is giving the problem and am thinking of finding an Ah Beng shop in Clementi, Jurong East or in the west area to get it fixed.

Any recommendation?

go clementi central find song mobile they shld be able to assist

Any recommendation?

sounds like a motherboard issue actually.

given the prices of new handsets nowadays. it may be more feasible to just get a new xiaomi or something.

Supercharged

sounds like a motherboard issue actually.

given the prices of new handsets nowadays. it may be more feasible to just get a new xiaomi or something.

Best is to let them check and then let them quote the repair cost. If cost too high, then don't repair (buy new one better).

Any recommendation?

got try the following?

1. Restore factory defaults. (Some apps may be draining more power than the input when charging.)

2. Change charger

3. Change cable

these does contribute to such problems.

Folks, thanks for your replies.

Went to West Coast to get it diagnosed. Indeed the charging port/circuitry is the one giving the problem. It is quite a common issue due to frequent plugging/unplugging.

Got the small circuit board changed for $35 on the spot, The usb part works fine now and I am extremely happy but only for a while. Then, I realized that the mic which comes with the board is not working and my caller can only hear me on speaker mode.

I have to make a second trip again.

Very true. I've relatives in such business and export plays a big part. Those exporters can just drop by the shop to ask for phones. Pay cash on the spot, take in at rather high price too.

Take, pay and go, much easier than selling to end users.

and nobody pays tax

Folks, thanks for your replies.

Went to West Coast to get it diagnosed. Indeed the charging port/circuitry is the one giving the problem. It is quite a common issue due to frequent plugging/unplugging.

Got the small circuit board changed for $35 on the spot, The usb part works fine now and I am extremely happy but only for a while. Then, I realized that the mic which comes with the board is not working and my caller can only hear me on speaker mode.

I have to make a second trip again.

that's how they make money man! every customer have to keep going back after the first time...

that's how they make money man! every customer have to keep going back after the first time...

It's ok, he gave me 7 days' warranty. I got it changed for free.

I am not surprised if the parts were 2nd hand, salvaged from elsewhere.

As long as it works, I am alright with it.

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

It's ok, he gave me 7 days' warranty. I got it changed for free.

I am not surprised if the parts were 2nd hand, salvaged from elsewhere.

As long as it works, I am alright with it.

Yeah. The parts probably salvaged from another phone. Some of these shops that do repairs will accept those phones which people found on the floor. Offer them lower price but no need show IC. Then they'll dismantle the phone and use them as spares. This way the police check also cannot get anything.

↡ Advertisement