Bit Torrents - no more btjunkie

Green_carnation

There is actually a way to beat the download ratio and I believe a bug/loophole in the whole thing.

For example, if the tracker limits you to only downloading 5 files, it is possible to download say 10 or more files your connection is able to support.

And the best part is these files download are not calculated into your limits/ratios as the tracker recognises the first 5 files in progress. To play safe, i block off the http link for the excess files which BT uses to update the tracker.

I haven't yet hit a limit for simultaneous file downloads - I've downloaded 4 or 5 files before at once without issues. I don't usually have a need to get more files than that at once, so I don't know if my tracker has a restriction on that. The main thing for my tracker is the maintenance of the ratio.

What method do you use to block off the tracker update link - a software firewall or something else?

↡ Advertisement

have you crossed over to a fibre plan? i understand your difficulties. Am currently still on an ADSL plan pending fibre activation on the coming 27th therefore i understand your pains. upload bandwidth is narrow and precious.

No, Starhub cable. [:(]

I know you're not tech savvy lah pundek, but no need to flaunt it. [laugh]

er...i still on my old modem.....us robotics [laugh][laugh][laugh]

er...i still on my old modem.....us robotics

I have one of those in storage. Probably still works. [;)]

I think I still have my Smartlink 1200 baud modem too. ^_^

Yeah, oldskool baby! [cool]

(Old man, also). [:(]

I have one of those in storage. Probably still works. [;)]

I think I still have my Smartlink 1200 baud modem too. ^_^

Yeah, oldskool baby! [cool]

(Old man, also). [:(]

those were the days man... [:p]

er...i still on my old modem.....us robotics [laugh][laugh][laugh]

us robotics was THE brand that time. No others even came close

Try Lime. I heard Kickass still alive.

One more I can't remember always got sexy girls plus popups. Some popups are well ermmm...

• Praise 1

Had been using Lime after KAT had some issues. A few days back it seems like the local govt agency blocked Lime and also Yify.

Try Lime. I heard Kickass still alive.

One more I can't remember always got sexy girls plus popups. Some popups are well ermmm...

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-isps-block-53-pirate-sites-following-mpaa-legal-action-180521/

Singapore ISPs Block 53 Pirate Sites Following MPAA Legal Action
  • By Andy
  • on May 21, 2018
  • C: 17
News

Several major ISPs have blocked dozens of pirate torrent and streaming platforms following orders from the Singapore High Court. The action, which covers platforms including The Pirate Bay plus KickassTorrents and Solarmovie variants, follows a successful application from the MPAA, which accuses the platforms of flagrant copyright infringement.

pageblocked.jpgUnder increasing pressure from copyright holders, in 2014 Singapore passed amendments to copyright law that allow ISPs to block ‘pirate’ sites.

“The prevalence of online piracy in Singapore turns customers away from legitimate content and adversely affects Singapore’s creative sector,” said then Senior Minister of State for Law Indranee Rajah.

“It can also undermine our reputation as a society that respects the protection of intellectual property.”

After the amendments took effect in December 2014, there was a considerable pause before any websites were targeted. However, in September 2016, at the request of the MPA(A), Solarmovie.ph became the first website ordered to be blocked under Singapore’s amended Copyright Act. The High Court subsequently ordering several major ISPs to disable access to the site.

A new wave of blocks announced this morning are the country’s most significant so far, with dozens of ‘pirate’ sites targeted following a successful application by the MPAA earlier this year.

In total, 53 sites across 154 domains – including those operated by The Pirate Bay plus KickassTorrents and Solarmovie variants – have been rendered inaccessible by ISPs including Singtel, StarHub, M1, MyRepublic and ViewQwest.

“In Singapore, these sites are responsible for a major portion of copyright infringement of films and television shows,” an MPAA spokesman told The Straits Times (paywall).

“This action by rights owners is necessary to protect the creative industry, enabling creators to create and keep their jobs, protect their works, and ensure the continued provision of high-quality content to audiences.”

Before granting a blocking injunction, the High Court must satisfy itself that the proposed online locations meet the threshold of being “flagrantly infringing”. This means that a site like YouTube, which carries a lot of infringing content but is not dedicated to infringement, would not ordinarily get caught up in the dragnet.

Sites considered for blocking must have a primary purpose to infringe, a threshold that is tipped in copyright holders’ favor when the sites’ operators display a lack of respect for copyright law and have already had their domains blocked in other jurisdictions.

The Court also weighs a number of additional factors including whether blocking would place an unacceptable burden on the shoulders of ISPs, whether the blocking demand is technically possible, and whether it will be effective.

In common with other regions such as the UK and Australia, for example, sites targeted for blocking must be informed of the applications made against them, to ensure they’re given a chance to defend themselves in court. No fully-fledged ‘pirate’ site has ever defended a blocking application in Singapore or indeed any jurisdiction in the world.

Finally, should any measures be taken by ‘pirate’ sites to evade an ISP blockade, copyright holders can apply to the Singapore High Court to amend the blocking order. This is similar to the Australian model where each application must be heard on its merits, rather than the UK model where a more streamlined approach is taken.

According to a recent report by Motion Picture Association Canada, at least 42 countries are now obligated to block infringing sites. In Europe alone, 1,800 sites and 5,300 domains have been rendered inaccessible, with Portugal, Italy, the UK, and Denmark leading the way.

In Canada, where copyright holders are lobbying hard for a site-blocking regime of their own, there’s pressure to avoid the “uncertain, slow and expensive” route of going through the courts.

Tagged in: mpaa, Singapore

Twincharged

actually if you tally the final cost can be frightening and the software can cost more than the computer

eg

Windows 10  - $

Microsoft Office 2016 - $

Media player (Cyberlink) - $

Anti-virus - $

Photo Editor (eg Photoshop) - $

pdf Editor - $

• Praise 2