Roof rack wind noise and need feedback on Thule Wingbar

Wson

Hi,

thinking of installing Thule roof rack but heard that it can be noisy at high speed, even with the Thule Aerobars. I want to leave the bars on the car when not transporting my bikes. Not too concern about FC but particular about excessive wind noise.

Thule have new product call Wingbar, claim to cut down noise to almost cannot hear. Anyone use before can comment if it really works and really is noiseless? Is it worth it to pay more for Wingbars?

Normal aerobars

med751A.jpg

New Wingbars

Wing%20Bar%209.JPG

↡ Advertisement

Never use wingbar but had the idea.

It will still have wing noise just softer and look much better than the normal bar.

I use those rear bar and only fit on when require. Less than 5 min to do that.

the noise comes more from what you put on the load bars... like a bike carrier, or a box thing. the bars themselves are not that noisy. well, the wing bar certainly looks like will cut noise as its got an airfoil section.

Edited by Showtime

I believe it's the resonance and vibration that is transmitted from the bar to the car roof.

If the roof can be sound proofed, then the noise will be reduced.

Actually cannot hear the wind noise one lah.

If can hear, then the two loudest sound will come from the side mirrors very loud.

I oso interested but then this juz a rack, u need purchase additional accessories to mount your bike..

also thinking of dismounting & mounting bike off roof, dismantling the bike mounting...everytime u not using..bit turn off.

I oso interested but then this juz a rack, u need purchase additional accessories to mount your bike..

also thinking of dismounting & mounting bike off roof, dismantling the bike mounting...everytime u not using..bit turn off.

The Thule bike carriers looks easy to install on the bars, at least looks easier than installing their roofboxes or baskets.

Thanks to the replies. I read USA forums about the noise from the bars but from replies here seem like not so loud. Maybe americans more particualar about noise.

Never use wingbar but had the idea.

It will still have wing noise just softer and look much better than the normal bar.

I use those rear bar and only fit on when require. Less than 5 min to do that.

Does your bars (with nothing loaded) makes sound at high speed?

Edited by Wson

Neutral Newbie

Hi Guys,

Just found out from a recent advertisement in Rev Magazine, Feb issue/page 13 (see link: http://www.rev.com.sg/images/flipbook/issues/16/index.html) there's a good offer on BMW F10 M-Tech body kit offers- it seems to be the cheapest in town, as that the original add-on offer by the Car distributor is around $6-$8k. Just too bad, my car is already build up with one. Anyway, I will be checking out their so call other power device. [drivingcar]

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I'm threadjacking this a bit cos I can't start a new post being a newbie.

Does anyone know where I can go to get a bicycle rack (for 2 bikes) installed for the roof? Does it come with full installation? (I don't know how to install it myself.)

(edited)

Go to Pro RV:

2 Kallang Pudding Road,

#06-13 Mactech Building,

Singapore 349307

+65-68410787

If you wish, they can install it for you when you purchase the rack from them.

But it's really very simple. Put the legs on the mounting points, tighten 4 screws, clamp the rest of the parts in place. That's it.

When not transporting bikes, I always take off the rack. The wind noise is the main thing that bothers me. Other than that, the increased fuel consumption and slight deterioration of the car's handling are the other things that compels me to take the rack off when not in use. Also, leaving the racks on permanently will cause the rubber/plastic parts and stainless steel screws to deteriorate quickly in our weather.

When you have mounted it the first time, you can simply take off the whole rack assembly at one go instead of part by part. That makes it a lot easier and time saving. But it is slightly heavy. Probably too heavy for a female to handle.

When you do this, 2 pieces of cloth placed at the opposite mounting points will save your paintwork. For example, if you are putting on the rack from the driver's side, place a towel on the 2 mounting points on the passenger side. Just roughly place the legs on the towels, adjust the legs on the driver's side to fit on the mounts first, then cross over and adjust the passenger side legs to fit. After that, use the tool to tighten the screws, done.

Edited by Chickenbackside

Neutral Newbie

Go to Pro RV:

2 Kallang Pudding Road,

#06-13 Mactech Building,

Singapore 349307

+65-68410787

If you wish, they can install it for you when you purchase the rack from them.

But it's really very simple. Put the legs on the mounting points, tighten 4 screws, clamp the rest of the parts in place. That's it.

When not transporting bikes, I always take off the rack. The wind noise is the main thing that bothers me. Other than that, the increased fuel consumption and slight deterioration of the car's handling are the other things that compels me to take the rack off when not in use. Also, leaving the racks on permanently will cause the rubber/plastic parts and stainless steel screws to deteriorate quickly in our weather.

When you have mounted it the first time, you can simply take off the whole rack assembly at one go instead of part by part. That makes it a lot easier and time saving. But it is slightly heavy. Probably too heavy for a female to handle.

When you do this, 2 pieces of cloth placed at the opposite mounting points will save your paintwork. For example, if you are putting on the rack from the driver's side, place a towel on the 2 mounting points on the passenger side. Just roughly place the legs on the towels, adjust the legs on the driver's side to fit on the mounts first, then cross over and adjust the passenger side legs to fit. After that, use the tool to tighten the screws, done.

Thanks a lot!

I'm now actually considering the boot rack, 'cos I realise many carparks have height barriers. And some of them are rather low! [:(] When you have the roof rack installed, did you face any problems getting in/out of covered carparks with height barriers?

Also, since I would have to remove the rack anyway when not in use, the boot rack (I reckon) would probably be easier to install/take down no? I thought I could just leave the rack on, but you're probably right about poorer car handling with the rack on. I tried hypermiling the other day & wind resistance makes a huge difference - when there's no car in front to "draft", I have to step on the accelerator much more. [:(]

With the bikes mounted, you will of course face height barrier problems in all multi-storey car parks. Without the bikes mounted, I have not faced any problems, but that doesn't say much as I very seldom drive around with the roof rack mounted without bikes.

I guess a boot rack will solve all your problems.

To me, it's very fiddly to mount and dismount because of all the straps, and I definitely have scratches on my paintwork until I used masking tape to protect the contact areas. I also have a friend who's boot rack fell off his car while traveling on the ECP. Let's just say his bikes weren't in very good condition after that. Thank goodness nobody got injured.

Each rack has its own advantages and disadvantages. You just have to figure out what's more important to you.

Neutral Newbie

With the bikes mounted, you will of course face height barrier problems in all multi-storey car parks. Without the bikes mounted, I have not faced any problems, but that doesn't say much as I very seldom drive around with the roof rack mounted without bikes.

I guess a boot rack will solve all your problems.

To me, it's very fiddly to mount and dismount because of all the straps, and I definitely have scratches on my paintwork until I used masking tape to protect the contact areas. I also have a friend who's boot rack fell off his car while traveling on the ECP. Let's just say his bikes weren't in very good condition after that. Thank goodness nobody got injured.

Each rack has its own advantages and disadvantages. You just have to figure out what's more important to you.

Hmm. OK. That's what I thought - I've seen the boot racks on others' cars and they don't seem very stable. I'll check out the roof rack. Thanks

Stability wise, the roof rack wins hands down. No question.

Even with the best boot racks (I have a Thule and a Saris), you can see the whole rack swaying, especially when you turn the car. Regardless of how tight you think you have secured the straps, there is always some play.

A roof rack has no suck problems. It's still pretty secure at 120km/h.

Neutral Newbie

Stability wise, the roof rack wins hands down. No question.

Even with the best boot racks (I have a Thule and a Saris), you can see the whole rack swaying, especially when you turn the car. Regardless of how tight you think you have secured the straps, there is always some play.

A roof rack has no suck problems. It's still pretty secure at 120km/h.

I think you'd make a good roof rack salesman [:p]

↡ Advertisement