Smelly car interior!! .... how to get rid?

KARTer

Parked under hot sun for a day (usual office open car park) and when i opened the door to drive home, the smell could almost knock me off.... :o

Off aircon and wound down all the window all the way home, thinking must be my sports shoes/shoes.

took them off and drove to town at night.... still the same dead-rat smell!!

checked the whole car looking for dead meat (in case frozen meat from tue's shopping was left under the seat etc) but found nothing..... to day still drove to work with dead-rat smell... i think i may faint on my way home later

any bros had the same experience and eventually found the cause / cure?

I will go workshop satureday to jack up see any dead animal hide in the undercarriage / engine bay (unlikely engine bay coz aircon smells ok)

many years ago, my unlce found dead kitten smeshed by radiator fan coz of cold weather and the poor thing found the warm radiator a good place to keep warm, but uncle took 1 week to locate the body, never expected it....

↡ Advertisement

TV ads says use "Febreeze"

For me, I will go to JB, near Holiday Plaze, there is a car wash centre at the corner, they can get rid of the smell for you and kill all bacteria. Very nice lemon smell

Parked under hot sun for a day (usual office open car park) and when i opened the door to drive home, the smell could almost knock me off.... :o

Off aircon and wound down all the window all the way home, thinking must be my sports shoes/shoes.

checked the whole car looking for dead meat (in case frozen meat from tue's shopping was left under the seat etc) but found nothing..... to day still drove to work with dead-rat smell... i think i may faint on my way home later

I will go workshop satureday to jack up see any dead animal hide in the undercarriage / engine bay (unlikely engine bay coz aircon smells ok)

many years ago, my unlce found dead kitten smeshed by radiator fan coz of cold weather and the poor thing found the warm radiator a good place to keep warm, but uncle took 1 week to locate the body, never expected it....

Maybe u ever stepped on sai, sai stained the car's carpet. Although now u cannot see the sai, the layer of sai is still there.

Neutral Newbie

My car sun tan everyday and there's no funny smell. I'll advice you not to carry out hanky panky stuff in the car, else the musky smell is inevitable.

Must get rid of the source of the smell first.

After that go buy those charcoal odour remover, can get from daiso at $2. Cheap and good

Neutral Newbie

I had the same encounter of a 'dead rat' smell in my car recently.

After trying charcoal, deodourizer, air-under-the-sun, aircon mouldy smell remover, etc, I nearly gave up until I googled and read an article ... [sunny]

"Smell is caused by bacteria, so step 1 is to stop the bacteria from growing & step 2 is to remove the smell."

Step 1: Kill bacteria

Spray alcohol (I bought IPA and a small sprayer) on the fabrics and floor mat. Do not spray directly onto the plastic surface if you use other form of alcohol!

Step 2: Remove smell

Put Baking Soda/powder onto disposal bowl/plate and place them on the floor mat as well as seats overnight. As the smell in my car is unbearable, I left it over 2 nights (over the weekend).

By Monday morning, the stinko smell disappear. [thumbsup] This method is useful to remove bad odour for shoes too.

I hope this info can help you.

Car put charcoal inside car to absorb the odour

the smell is seriously stinko...... may have to fill the whole car with charcoal?... you got any cheap lobang? :D

[50% of the smell is gone today when i drive the car... if it doesnt improve further i will use the frbreeze... thanks

TV ads says use "Febreeze"

For me, I will go to JB, near Holiday Plaze, there is a car wash centre at the corner, they can get rid of the smell for you and kill all bacteria. Very nice lemon smell

Maybe u ever stepped on sai, sai stained the car's carpet. Although now u cannot see the sai, the layer of sai is still there.

none of the shoes i wear has any sai... the rubber matts in the car also dont have... (still scratching my head)???

Thanks!! ..... i am keeping this advice/method for my current and future smell problems.. [:)]

I had the same encounter of a 'dead rat' smell in my car recently.

After trying charcoal, deodourizer, air-under-the-sun, aircon mouldy smell remover, etc, I nearly gave up until I googled and read an article ... [sunny]

"Smell is caused by bacteria, so step 1 is to stop the bacteria from growing & step 2 is to remove the smell."

Step 1: Kill bacteria

Spray alcohol (I bought IPA and a small sprayer) on the fabrics and floor mat. Do not spray directly onto the plastic surface if you use other form of alcohol!

Step 2: Remove smell

Put Baking Soda/powder onto disposal bowl/plate and place them on the floor mat as well as seats overnight. As the smell in my car is unbearable, I left it over 2 nights (over the weekend).

By Monday morning, the stinko smell disappear. [thumbsup] This method is useful to remove bad odour for shoes too.

I hope this info can help you.

when was the last time u gave the interiors of ur car a good wash? [laugh]

are ur seats fabric or leather?

car mats? are there cushions with funny stains? [sly]

the interiors is cleaned when the workshop who services it do a clean-up every 5000km (about every 2-3 months)... in the past 6yrs never had any foul smells problem (except for the few seconds when i let go my personal gas)

seats are mix of fabric n leather (10:90 ratio)

the interior is quite bare... no cushions/pillows...

Must get rid of the source of the smell first.

After that go buy those charcoal odour remover, can get from daiso at $2. Cheap and good

i like such practical stuff from diaso.... thanks :D

↡ Advertisement