New satellite-based ERP is ready

Billcoke

That's sad.. Off peak hours not much cars also want to charge??

Nevermind still got a few years, hoping when it started implement it is not what rumours as it is now.

other options for commuters: cycle, roller blade, skateboard, ferry, jog, all very health forms of moving from A to B... :D

↡ Advertisement

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...228-330623.html

Motoring @ AsiaOne

'Some years' before new satellite-based ERP is ready: Minister

Tests are still ongoing and if the system is found to be technically feasible, there are still some years to go before launch. -AsiaOne

Tue, Feb 28, 2012

AsiaOne

The development of the new satellite-tracked Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system is still in its "early stages", Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo said in response to questions in Parliament on Tuesday.

Tests are still ongoing to make sure that the system is technically feasible and reliable in a built-up city like Singapore, she said.

And if the system is technically feasible, it is still "some years" before the system is ready to be launched and implemented, Mrs Teo added.

Satellite signals may bounce off tall buildings in built-up areas like Singapore, resulting in patchy accuracy, earlier reports said.

When the technology is proven, the Government will then study how to use the new system to influence motorists' usage of vehicles.

A tender for the project was awarded to four parties last year to conduct a system evaluation test for the next-generation ERP system.

According to The Straits Times, the four are Kapsch TrafficCom; MHI Engine System Asia & NCS; ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems) & IBM Singapore; and Watchdata Technologies & Beijing Watchdata System.

Each party will receive $1 million in seed funding "to design, develop and demonstrate technological solutions".

The new system may charge motorists according to where they go and how much distances they clock.

[email protected]

If the system charges motorist according to where they go and the distance they clock, it merely make sense to let the existing expensive erp gantaries remain and just tax more on fuel. This accomplish the same results as distance based taxes and also where we go. Why need to implement shebang gizmos and ultimately pass the costs to motorists? The script writers need to work harder and try not to make their paymasters a laughing stock to the world.

Edited by Zaxx

If the system charges motorist according to where they go and the distance they clock, it merely make sense to let the existing expensive erp gantaries remain and just tax more on fuel. This accomplish the same results as distance based taxes and also where we go. Why need to implement shebang gizmos and ultimately pass the costs to motorists? The script writers need to work harder and try not to make their paymasters a laughing stock.

because if hugh jam they will overcharge?? :blink:

If the system charges motorist according to where they go and the distance they clock, it merely make sense to let the existing expensive erp gantaries remain and just tax more on fuel. This accomplish the same results as distance based taxes and also where we go. Why need to implement shebang gizmos and ultimately pass the costs to motorists? The script writers need to work harder and try not to make their paymasters a laughing stock to the world.

you not so smart

so many ministers and mp retiring

got to find jobs for them to do

some open new company

so still have high pay

conspiracy theory

you not so smart

so many ministers and mp retiring

got to find jobs for them to do

some open new company

so still have high pay

conspiracy theory

And your theory is based on?

The gantries that cost hundred millions to erect cannot overcharge when there is a huge jam?

i think he meant.. in heavy jam.. more fuel is burnt for the same distance... in this case.. you be paying more..

and to add on... the govt has long time ago say they will move on to usage based tax system for cars... why you think ARF has been reduced gradually from 130% to 100%..... you know what is ARF hor?

i think he meant.. in heavy jam.. more fuel is burnt for the same distance... in this case.. you be paying more..

and to add on... the govt has long time ago say they will move on to usage based tax system for cars... why you think ARF has been reduced gradually from 130% to 100%..... you know what is ARF hor?

yap. plus Petrol Tax will not be able to tell when is peak and when is off peak hour. plus different car got different pertrol comsuption hence increasing petrol tax does not equal to distant charges.

so can we take LTA's iniative in pushing for the test pilot programme as a cue that it already have tacit approval for thw go ahead?

why am i not surprised that there hasn't been a motion tabled in parliament to seek approval for the implementation of such a system given that it has wide ranging ramifications in terms of transgression of privacy is concerned.

so can we take LTA's iniative in pushing for the test pilot programme as a cue that it already have tacit approval for thw go ahead?

why am i not surprised that there hasn't been a motion tabled in parliament to seek approval for the implementation of such a system given that it has wide ranging ramifications in terms of transgression of privacy is concerned.

can't blame them.. too many important issues to debate to give any attention to this ERP thingy

This is the same as the current erp based on traffic flow. During peak hour traffic or heavy traffic you pay more and the advantage of additional fuel tax is the taxation is revelant and up to date. Traffic flow is smooth, you pay less. Dont need quarterly reiews from LTA. Thats the chief arguement for gps based erp.

As to different car has different fuel consumption, the tax has the effect to encourge Motorist to choose cars with lower consumption hence carbon emission. This is in line with the intentions of the pending carbon emission tax that is gonna replace the green rebate. Not to mention it may be more equitable ie rich driving a lambo to pay more taxes when their car burns more fuel and emits more CO2 compared to majority b&b cars.

Edited by Zaxx

I just hope that by the time all these are implemented.. I m either living outside Singapore, or simply rich enough to see erp as some seriously insignificant $$... But still I will feel damn pissed that they wanna earn every single penny out from me..

I just hope that by the time all these are implemented.. I m either living outside Singapore, or simply rich enough to see erp as some seriously insignificant $$... But still I will feel damn pissed that they wanna earn every single penny out from me..

i think you will still be living here

Neutral Newbie

Singapore one step closer to satellite-based ERP

LTA seeks contractor to run on-road tests for new ERP system

Singapore | Updated today at 06:00 AM

By Royston Sim

Singapore is moving a step closer to a satellite-based Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system, with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) seeking a contractor to provide vehicles to test technologies developed by four parties.

An LTA spokesman said the on-road tests are part of a system evaluation trial for a next-generation ERP system.

The on-road tests will begin in July and run until end-November, with an option for a three-month extension.

If the entire trial goes smoothly, sources said that the LTA could call for a tender to build the new ERP system in 2014 or 2015.

2014/2015 is not too far away from now... its time to change my car to BMW (bus, MRT, walk) soon..