7 series or S-class?

Yattokame

Hi all,

story is, my uncle struck 4D (quite a big amt) and he would like to pamper himself for a couple of years before he retires.

He wants to use 100k for a luxury car, and the 730Li and S280 are on his list. He is unwilling to fork out more for the new models. That is also the reason some of u seen my post about servicing mercedes.

typical questions

1) which is less problematic?

2) which one costs less to maintain?

3) what to look out for in each car (eg airmatic for the S class)?

4) I am guessing S280L is a long wheelbase version of the S280 so it should have significantly more space at the back?

I'm clueless when it comes to such cars. Thanx :)

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

story is, my uncle struck 4D (quite a big amt) and he would like to pamper himself for a couple of years before he retires.

He wants to use 100k for a luxury car, and the 730Li and S280 are on his list. He is unwilling to fork out more for the new models. That is also the reason some of u seen my post about servicing mercedes.

typical questions

4) I am guessing S280L is a long wheelbase version of the S280 so it should have significantly more space at the back?

Almost all 7 series or S class will have quite alot of problems,when buying 6 years old..avoid it.

Hi all,

typical questions

CLS [thumbsup][drivingcar] .

& you also can get to show up in this bella without creating the impression that "this is my father's car" [:p]

CLS [thumbsup][drivingcar] .

& you also can get to show up in this bella without creating the impression that "this is my father's car" [:p]

cannot lah, CLS is more expensive than 730 or S280, out of budget.

(edited)

Get the 2005 face-lift model 730i, should be able to get it for around $90K or less. The current model S class @ 5 yrs mark is selling for at least $140K. Forget about the old model S class which is around since 2001. If possible, look out for those with low mileage, but have to wait patiently. My current 7 yrs old 5 series @ 75K mileage is running fine, intend to drive it till scrap. I bought it 3 yrs ago with 50K mileage clocked on it

Edited by Amazon777

cannot lah, CLS is more expensive than 730 or S280, out of budget.

Late 2005 CLS @ S$109K ~ S$115K

early/mid 2006 S280 @ -S$100K.

In 3 years time when the cars are 10 years old, which one do you think will have a higher resale value?

Dont forget, CLS first launch in 2005 while Ss are in town for the longest time...

Twincharged

Lexus GS300 2007 model is selling below 100K. Japanese car is more reliable and problem free, the quality of Lexus is even better.

if you are given a choice of 730, S280 or GS300 for free (all 5 yrs old), which will you pick?

(edited)

Late 2005 CLS @ S$109K ~ S$115K

early/mid 2006 S280 @ -S$100K.

In 3 years time when the cars are 10 years old, which one do you think will have a higher resale value?

Dont forget, CLS first launch in 2005 while Ss are in town for the longest time...

the CLS will always have a higher value that the S280.

they belong in different category as you know.

even when both were brand new, the CLS was more expensive than the S280

Edited by Throttle2

non of the above are good choices, buying such cars are problematic. another option would be for him to rent for a few months and then decided whether it is worth the money.

he would be left wondering whether it is he who is been pampered or the car he is going to buy.

Thank you all for the replies

while he does understand the cars can be problematic, etc... you know old people still have the idea that you need to drive a mercedes to be considered successful. That's how he thinks, and I don't intend to challenge him on that. He also quite like the BMW but somehow just not the Audi.

He has worked his entire life and made his living honestly, and all he wants is just to pamper himself a little bit. Single and not planing to get hitched nor married. House and current car all fully paid for.

Since these two are his choices, I won't recommend the other models as everyone has his preference. And to help him choose between the two, I am here to pose the questions.

thanks again

Mercedes.....the only respectable cars for uncle to show off.

I wish to be in the same situation after tonight's TOTO result.

Thank you all for the replies

while he does understand the cars can be problematic, etc... you know old people still have the idea that you need to drive a mercedes to be considered successful. That's how he thinks, and I don't intend to challenge him on that. He also quite like the BMW but somehow just not the Audi.

He has worked his entire life and made his living honestly, and all he wants is just to pamper himself a little bit. Single and not planing to get hitched nor married. House and current car all fully paid for.

Since these two are his choices, I won't recommend the other models as everyone has his preference. And to help him choose between the two, I am here to pose the questions.

thanks again

If ur unker is more 60 y/o, i would suggest something small but powderful. These 2 cars are too big for senior citizen. Not discrimination but pure biologically.

He should look at something sportier, like SLK, Z4. These cars are easier to drive around.

↡ Advertisement