Old Chang Kee curry puff surprise

Jchuacl

Don't think it was Tip Top. It was called Rex Curry Puff or something but definitely not OCK or Selera. I used to live at Mount Sophia in the early 80s and I always kenna arrowed by mum to walk to Rex to buy curry puffs. :D

My dad used to make the Danish puff style of curry puff, more ang mo than the thick 'flourish' Malay style.

I will go for delifrance :D

↡ Advertisement

Rex theatre curry poks!!! Damn, my mum always buy from there. She also brought me there to buy too. Can stand there see them make the curry pok and then deep fry it. Nowadays, no more liao.

Tip top @ AMK was also good. Used to buy from there regularly when they had CCTV showing the staffs making the curry pok in the kitchen. Now also no more liao.

OCK curry poks are damn oily n not that nice. But sometimes, just buy lah when near the outlet. Now I will avoid them if possible. [:/]

Turbocharged

the power of internet!

this incident has gone viral in stomp, forums and facebook

OCK's reputation and business is sure to take a big hit

(edited)

So which is the best, I have not eaten curry puff for over 4 months (been oversea at work, & just return home last night for a short holiday), tomorrow, I can seek out.

Edited by Kiadaw

back in the army days

this kind of things were considered good

extra proteins

after the poor fellow got cooked and germs probably got fried too

If we are on the same track, the other one suddenly just closed shop 1 day and never re-opened again (I really missed that one). Now, my alternative is at Tip Top though recently, the quality seemed to have dropped a bit since the daughter took over to automate the whole process.

Tip top at AMK is totally different now.. i wouldn't make the trip to buy from there any more.

Still have the taste. Though standards drop a bit.

I was very surprised to see the have a stall in harbin, china. A welcoming sight in minus twenty degrees.

Tip top at AMK is totally different now.. i wouldn't make the trip to buy from there any more.

Tip Top changed hands. The owner who was convicted of tax evasion sold it off. New owners fired all the old workers that were working there for > 30 years and replace them with machines and foreign workers.

The old uncles and aunties at Tip Top now set up their own stall at Toa Payoh central in a coffee shop that is next to Toa Payoh KFC. Stall is called AMK curry puff with photos of the old Tip Top.

Very good !

If we are on the same track, the other one suddenly just closed shop 1 day and never re-opened again (I really missed that one). Now, my alternative is at Tip Top though recently, the quality seemed to have dropped a bit since the daughter took over to automate the whole process.

Turbocharged

My dad used to make the Danish puff style of curry puff, more ang mo than the thick 'flourish' Malay style.

I will go for delifrance :D

Can you believe I found something very very similar to curry puffs in Brazil but in triangular shape (like samosa)?? You think the Portuguese copied that from the Malays or vice versa?

Don't think it was Tip Top. It was called Rex Curry Puff or something but definitely not OCK or Selera. I used to live at Mount Sophia in the early 80s and I always kenna arrowed by mum to walk to Rex to buy curry puffs. :D

Hey, you should be proud of that. [thumbsup] Usually parents prefer the best kid to do errands (less failures/mistakes if not none) [laugh]

Anyone knows where got sell the Beansprouts filled curry puff?

During my primary school days in Jurong. My school got sell. And everyday I will buy one, and take a small bite, and then pour the sweet liquid Chilli sauce into the hole. DELICIOUS.

Also there were those iPad sizes tapioca crispy titbits. Also pour the Chilli sauce onto it, and bit and eat during my recess.

Nowadays, I only find sardine and potato curry puff. No more Tao-gey curry puff around.

Supercharged

Tip Top changed hands. The owner who was convicted of tax evasion sold it off. New owners fired all the old workers that were working there for > 30 years and replace them with machines and foreign workers.

The old uncles and aunties at Tip Top now set up their own stall at Toa Payoh central in a coffee shop that is next to Toa Payoh KFC. Stall is called AMK curry puff with photos of the old Tip Top.

Very good !

Yes u are right!!! Now that I rem seeing is this new stall in Toa Payoh!

It's next to the KFC. I tried couple of times before. V good!! All hand made!!

Can you believe I found something very very similar to curry puffs in Brazil but in triangular shape (like samosa)?? You think the Portuguese copied that from the Malays or vice versa?

samosa is quite international with different filling only, what were you doing in Brazil? getting sambal? [laugh]

there is also the big triangle puff but i think fill with kaya selling in indian coffee shop, can hardly find one nowadays.

Turbocharged

Very good !

thanks bro for sharing! no wonder that tasted different somehow.

we now know! [thumbsup]

Very good !

Good sharing.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement