Vikram Nair back off from TOC challenge.

Johorat

Vikram Nair does not intend to engage in debate with TOC

SINGAPORE: First it was the socio-political blog, TR Emeritus, now it is The Online Citizen website (TOC).

TOC has reported that PAP MP for Sembawang GRC Mr Vikram Nair has floated the possibility of taking legal action against it.

It said this arose out of an article written by a TOC contributor, Mr Ng E-jay, on comments Mr Nair made regarding Workers' Party MP Chen Show Mao's suggestion that the government invest in people.

According to the TOC posting, Mr Nair has said he does not have any legal plans now.

And he hopes not to take legal action but if there is lingering damage he might have to consider it.

Mr Nair had said he wants to clear his name.

Responding to queries from Channel NewsAsia, Mr Nair reiterated his position that he does not have any legal plans.

Mr Nair also said he does not intend to engage in a debate with the TOC on its website.

He said this in response to TOC's invitation to him to write to them and state his point of view, which TOC said will be more than happy to carry in full on its website and it will then respond, if necessary.

- CNA/ck

↡ Advertisement

Small fry try to act gungho.

But dare not go all the way with lawyers letters.

He may be open to more attacks in future since this may indicates that he does not have strong internal support and he is incapable of standing up to debate.

When the old man goes away....I foresee these attack will become more often because the internal support may just disappear totally.

I may be wrong, since my thinking are always from what I read from the newspaper and forums.

This chap speaks too fast in parliament. He keeps shooting at WP leh although I find WP proposal or speech nothing wrong.

Neutral Newbie

This chap speaks too fast in parliament. He keeps shooting at WP leh although I find WP proposal or speech nothing wrong.

99.99999% of the time, those farkers in white are shooting for the sake of shooting

Neutral Newbie

99.99999% of the time, those farkers in white are shooting for the sake of shooting

Turbocharged

frankly he picked the wrong guy for the fight. never study before sunzi army strategy hehe.

maybe some people are more into kamasutra than sunzi army strategy..... [laugh]

Vikram Nair does not intend to engage in debate with TOC

SINGAPORE: First it was the socio-political blog, TR Emeritus, now it is The Online Citizen website (TOC).

TOC has reported that PAP MP for Sembawang GRC Mr Vikram Nair has floated the possibility of taking legal action against it.

It said this arose out of an article written by a TOC contributor, Mr Ng E-jay, on comments Mr Nair made regarding Workers' Party MP Chen Show Mao's suggestion that the government invest in people.

According to the TOC posting, Mr Nair has said he does not have any legal plans now.

And he hopes not to take legal action but if there is lingering damage he might have to consider it.

Mr Nair had said he wants to clear his name.

Responding to queries from Channel NewsAsia, Mr Nair reiterated his position that he does not have any legal plans.

Mr Nair also said he does not intend to engage in a debate with the TOC on its website.

He said this in response to TOC's invitation to him to write to them and state his point of view, which TOC said will be more than happy to carry in full on its website and it will then respond, if necessary.

- CNA/ck

Dog gets more courage in a pack. Not when alone. Especially with the odds against him

he is trying to show his master he can do some sh*t..... can he start by taking care of his area? I live in his area yet i didnt see him walk around at all! worse that his predecssor, i think is South West Mayor Osman... -.-"

Turbocharged

frankly he picked the wrong guy for the fight. never study before sunzi army strategy hehe.

Know your enemy before engaging in battle.. he failed.. [laugh]

Two things PaPee can do:-

1. Buy a microscope to comfirm the size of his balls, if there is any at all,

2.??

Hypersonic

Putting aside the fact that this bugger is from PAP, his face and curly hair is damn irritating.

Turbocharged

did a search on his background and found this...

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Elections/Stor...425-275509.html

New candidate: Vikram Nair

The New Paper

Mon, Apr 25, 2011

By Bryna Sim

HIS life changed the moment he was introduced as a People's Action Party (PAP) candidate.

Family time was severely cut, dinner with friends was out and strangers started to recognise him.

"I've people smiling at me and wishing me luck when I go to the gym near my office these days. It's surprising and strange at the same time to lose my anonymity," said Mr Vikram Nair, who is part of the Sembawang GRC team.

Mr Nair, 32, added: "I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm not uncomfortable." (huh??!! [confused] mean what? )

Recently, when he was out for his weekly 11.8km run with a good friend from secondary school, his friend hit a stone and sprained his ankle.

Mr Nair wanted to call for help by using a passer- by's mobile phone. Recalling that incident, he said:

"The man told me, 'You look familiar'. When I said over the phone that my name was Mr Nair, he said, 'Oh, you're the PAP candidate. I saw you in the papers'."

Mr Nair tries to squeeze in gym time and long runs with his friends, but knows that his life has changed.

"I've written off my social life for the next few months. But my friends understand," he said.

By day, the 1.82m tall lawyer works out of the Norton Rose (Asia) law firm.

In the weeks after his candidacy was announced - he's one of 24 new PAP candidates - his final meal of the day was usually lunch, or "a snack" at 4pm.

Most weekday nights, he's pounding the ground with residents in the GRC. Weekends are also packed with events.

But the bachelor, who lives with his parents in a landed property in the north, clings on to family meal times.

His father, Mr Prabhakaran Nair, 62, and his brother, Sunil, 29, are lawyers; while his mother, Elizabeth, 61, is a psychologist. The brothers are close:

Besides being able to discuss work, they also exchange views about current affairs.

He was first talent-spotted by now Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam. They got to know each other in 2005 while working in the same law firm.

Mr Shanmugam has described Mr Nair as an intellectual, adding: "He speaks very well, (is) a good debater, and I see in him a sincerity to help out and serve. (dont play play hor, he speaks super fast we know and a good debater?.. well, no comment..)

And he connects well on the ground despite his Cambridge and middle-class background." (with that kind of background, they clasified as mid-class, damn... im sure with my background, it's under 'slum" clasification..)

While speaking with residents, Mr Nair switched effortlessly from crisp English to Singlish. (can he beat LSS?)

Having joined the Young PAP in 2008, he started helping out at Meet The People Sessions (MPS) in Chong Pang ward, under Mr Shanmugam.

"I was always interested in debating and policy issues. (more like interested in fixing the opposition only..)

So I thought I'd get involved and see how it goes," he said.

He was a volunteer and is now a candidate. What's the difference?

"As a volunteer, there's zero stress. Now, it's a duty, so it's a bit more stressful. (obviously, he didnt take the volunteering job seriously, how can it be stress free being a volunteer?...)

But I see others doing it, so I know it can still be done," he said. He has been sleeping about six hours each night.

On Monday evenings, he usually attends grassroots and Citizens' Consultative Committee meetings. After work on Tuesday evenings, it's off to Woodlands Drive 53 for his MPS. On Wednesday, block visits, and so on. (anyone see him around your block recently?....)

At the MPS that The New Paper attended, the session lasted past 1am. He saw about a case every 10 minutes, with only a few seconds' break in-between.

The residents' issues ranged from parking fines to housing problems. He said matter-of-factly: "We don't turn people away, although registration closes by 9pm. I stay up to 3am at times."

Residents love "bullying" new candidates, grassroots leaders said. They send their children over to Mr Nair during MPS, at walkabouts and at the end of community events such as "Dining with Neighbours", and send him off with homework - he has to sign on pictures taken with residents.

Remarked one of the residents: "An MP is supposed to be a servant of the people, right? So now is the time for him to work."

Good-naturedly, he took home a stack of pictures to autograph, adding: "These events are just part of an MP's regular workload. It's great. I really enjoy meeting the residents."

So is he ready for Nomination Day?

"I'm getting more comfortable in this role. I'm excited about the next few weeks," he said.

Hypersonic

It was obvious VN said something wrong. If he were to take legal actions, it would only mean that he strongly supported his wrong words.

↡ Advertisement