Placing of warning triangle 2~3 meters behind broken car

Vertigoer

Neutral Newbie

Just passed by slip road from SLE to CTE, almost accident.

Suddenly saw a car broken down on left lane.

Have to switch to right lane but traffic from right very fast, including speeding BMW (yeah why BMW again)

All bros and sis, if your car break down, please don't put your warning triangle 1 meter behind your car. People cannot react.

Please put 2 ~ 3 meters behind slightly to the left side, so that people can be warned without crashing into your triangle/car.

↡ Advertisement

Have to switch to right lane but traffic from right very fast, including speeding BMW (yeah why BMW again)

All bros and sis, if your car break down, please don't put your warning triangle 1 meter behind your car. People cannot react.

Please put 2 ~ 3 meters behind slightly to the left side, so that people can be warned without crashing into your triangle/car.

You may be aware that the triangle signage is only so small a area profile compared to the car. Placing it just a few metres from the car serve hardly any alert purpose. Other road users see the car before seeing the triangle. Place the triangle at least 3-cars length away from the broken down car (I would place it about a lamppost, so that others can have better chance to avoid hitting my car). Just make it safer for both parties.

Some genuises actually stand in the path of oncoming traffic to try to wave them off. I would rather hit a stopped vehicle than a human being, at most insurance claim, but hitting a human is a court case. I always carry a breakdown triangle with me.

Turbocharged

The is no significant difference between 1 or 3 mtres. Iirc, the distance should be around 30 to 40 meters so that if a really kuku driver might hot the triangle and still stop in time.

Neutral Newbie

You may be aware that the triangle signage is only so small a area profile compared to the car. Placing it just a few metres from the car serve hardly any alert purpose. Other road users see the car before seeing the triangle. Place the triangle at least 3-cars length away from the broken down car (I would place it about a lamppost, so that others can have better chance to avoid hitting my car). Just make it safer for both parties.

3 car length is about 15 meters?

That idiot place it right behind the boot and was squatting there doing something.

Another guy say 40meters, lets place finalize at 20 meters at least.

3 car length is about 15 meters?

That idiot place it right behind the boot and was squatting there doing something.

Another guy say 40meters, lets place finalize at 20 meters at least.

Before the triangle signage comes into the practice, I used to place the spare tyre about a lamppost away, while I handle the punctured tyre. Some passing drivers make irresponsible comments about it. It worked fine. Fine with me if you are safe [thumbsup] . Cheers

60 metres is the standard i think

60m?

I think they are saying where to put the triangle

and not the distance between you and the car in front.

Only if you really live up to your name of roadhogger.

Do you take pride in being a roadhogger or you cannot stand

them so choose roadhogger as your name?

:D

Twincharged

60 metres is the standard i think

20 Meters is what I was told when I took my driving lessons. Far enough for most cars to avoid you when they see the triangle.

aiya ...sometimes you will find some bangala workers put the cones just infront of the manhole on the road...like that must as well dont put... [laugh] ....such is life on the road..just drive slower when approaching blind spots loh. singapore roads really congested difficult to put up a big buffer zone lah.

(edited)

you put too far, people will wonder if the triangle was left there as a prank/forgotten then when they finally decide to filter in, it'll be too late already :o

Edited by Eighttales

Turbocharged
(edited)

A bike rear ended my car on CNY eve. I placed it 1 lamp post away.

I feel 20m too near as drivers tend to drive too fast nowadays on non-express way roads.

Edited by Sabian

Hypersonic

Some genuises actually stand in the path of oncoming traffic to try to wave them off. I would rather hit a stopped vehicle than a human being, at most insurance claim, but hitting a human is a court case. I always carry a breakdown triangle with me.

Agreed. These kind of people are the most dumb. Stand right behind the vehicle to wave off oncoming traffic. For what? Wind down window ask them 'Eh, you Ironman ah?'

If not breakdown sign, just put some bucket, boxes, etc behind the car. Stand there for what?

(edited)

imho, i think distance based on speed limit of road car broke down at.

e.g. at e'way, spd lim = 90kmh, place nine car lengths away (approx 45m); at normal road, spd lim up to 60kmh, so 6 cars length away (27m).

have some cones & reflectors / blinking lights in between best! but who'd buy n put in car???

Edited by Fuelsaver

According to Traffic Regulation...20 metres... [:p]

Fine for 70km/H traffic. A little too close for Expressway at 90km/H (I will add a spare tyre if there is a puncture tyre involved. Better use spare tyre if can avoid car being hit)

↡ Advertisement