Parent pays nearly $6,000 a month in tuition fees

Jman888

brought up this old thread as i was listening to radio program...

a parents received call from school teacher to tell them to let their boy take up tuition classes, if not he will likely be retained! (it is probably an elite sap school).

The parents felt threaten as their boy got 3 As, 4 Bs and some Cs, the boy only play computer 2 hours a week and he enjoy playing soccer, what else would you ask from such a smart boy? :huh: :huh:

hence the parents are now in dilemma and quite reluctant to send the boy for tuition as he is already quite occupied daily by the school work and assignments.

Wah. Not bad result still require tuition. But never say what subject.

This is too much lah. The teacher want to score points also not like that.

↡ Advertisement

brought up this old thread as i was listening to radio program...

a parents received call from school teacher to tell them to let their boy take up tuition classes, if not he will likely be retained! (it is probably an elite sap school).

The parents felt threaten as their boy got 3 As, 4 Bs and some Cs, the boy only play computer 2 hours a week and he enjoy playing soccer, what else would you ask from such a smart boy? :huh: :huh:

hence the parents are now in dilemma and quite reluctant to send the boy for tuition as he is already quite occupied daily by the school work and assignments.

I thought MOE already emphasise every school is a good school?? So if this particular school brought up such issue, parents can complain to MOE as that shows how selfish the particular School system is running. Basically for their own image at expense of young students growth.

Edited by Yewheng

Agreed!

My neighbor are doing it, their kids love to study and doing very well.

Most important they can afford.

Another family the son is in pri 6 in a local school and also study Sec 2 in an international school.

He just hop around both school

You're right. Why must everybody ASSUME that kids are unhappy going about their studies??

Some kids LOVE brainy exercises, solving puzzles and math problems, learning new things in their studies, reading technical books... They like being "challenged", else they'd be bored. We can't assume that they're stressed up.

Just like some kids learn and practice music... enjoy it, and it's a form of relaxation for them, not a chore!

Top athletes need top coaches to fulfil potential.

Our kids need top tutors/coaches too, if you see it that way.

Don't see anything wrong with it except when the child becomes unhappy/depressed.

There 1 jc teacher , teaching in school near bishan charging 200 per hour [dizzy]

Wah sure boh? JC teacher? working in MOE? charging $200 per hr?

wow, the teacher shld juz quit and go full time lor. pay scale same as top lawyers.

let's look at it this way with regards to parents willing to fork out large sum of money for their children private tuition.

If u can afford it, by all means, pay top bucks for private tuition,

if not v rich, pay for group tuition,

if poor, sign up for CDAC tuition,

if neither poor nor rich, just supervise ur kid, make sure they complete their school work lor.

Life is not all about books. What is the point if you are unable to grasp important people skills such as leadership, communication, integrity and critical thinking?

These cannot be taught in schools and it comes from good unbiased and extremely careful parenting.

Soon, you will find yourself staying alive in a deep pool of mud while others are way ahead in the social ladder.

those can be learnt (not taught) in school as well.

Life is not all about books. What is the point if you are unable to grasp important people skills such as leadership, communication, integrity and critical thinking?

These cannot be taught in schools and it comes from good unbiased and extremely careful parenting.

Soon, you will find yourself staying alive in a deep pool of mud while others are way ahead in the social ladder.

really that bad meh? the monthly amount spent is as good as somebody pay for a year!

just heard on radio this morning getting 'tuitor' to do homework on behlaf is common, even for assignment, uni final year project, etc. [sweatdrop]

wonder what Gearoil has to say on this? :D

i remember when i did my master, i was so busy that i could meet the deadline, i told my lectuerer that i can't make it and ask him to fail me, lucky the final assignment only contribute 20% which i still pass the subject. Never in my mind to engage such 'services' though i knew their existence long ago.

Paper qualification is so easy to come back and nothing is real on the surface nowadays. [shakehead]

Parent pays nearly $6,000 a month in tuition fees

Maureen Koh | The New Paper | Tue Mar 6 2012

Her son is a straight A student in a top boys' school here yet this mother spends $5,800 a month on his tuition.

Her son, who is in Secondary 3, attends classes for English and mathematics at a premier tuition centre in Thomson once a week - two hours per session.

He also takes a 21/2 hour weekly Chinese class in a popular language school.

And he gets one-on-one tuition - each for about two hours - for physics, chemistry and biology with a private tutor.

All these classes are on top of the regular supplementary lessons that his school gives.

Madam Irene Tan, a housewife who is in her early 40s, says: "It's money that we can afford and it's totally well-spent."

She agreed to this interview on condition that we do not name her only child or his school to avoid getting him into trouble.

She is married to a businessman and lives in a bungalow in Bukit Timah.

She says: "All parents just want the best for their child's education."

To top it off, she pays people to do her son's homework when he can't cope with the combination of school and tuition assignments. She pays $200 per hour if they have to swing by before midnight and $250 an hour when it's later.

Madam Tan is not the only one willing to pay through the nose for intensive tuition to help her child.

Mrs Pauline Soh, who has two daughters, one in Primary 4 and another in Sec 2, spends "close to $4,000" on their tuition classes.

Her daughters take English, mathematics and science at an elite tuition centre.

Her younger daughter, who is in a Gifted Education Programme primary school, also gets tuition for Higher Chinese.

The older girl is in an independent school.

Mrs Soh, 40, a civil servant, who lives in a condominium in the east says: "My husband (who is also a civil servant) and I don't have the time to coach our children."

She adds: "Education is an expensive affair here but the paper chase makes it necessary for us to equip our children with the best education possible."

Mr Frank Chan, 46, prefers to spend his money on extra tuition for his pair of twins, who are in Primary 6, than go for holidays.

The marketing manager, who lives in a terrace house in the east, says: "We can always go for holidays when the boys grow up. Right now, it's more important to focus on their Primary School Leaving Examination."

The twins have tuition in English, mathematics and second language, which cost about $2,000 per child per month.

This does not include fees he pays for a private music tutor.

In fact, primary schoolers are not the only ones getting loads of extra coaching. Some parents spend big on the little ones.

Madam Cathy Ho, 39, hires a private tutor to prepare her five-year-old son and six-year-old daughter for primary school. :wacko:

She pays the tutor, who gives her children individual lessons in English and mathematics separately, for $800 a month.

They also take Chinese classes at a language enrichment school at $1,500 for 12 lessons for each child every three months.

In addition, Madam Ho's daughter takes abacus and mental calculation preparation classes at an enrichment centre. That's another $320 a month.

Madam Ho, a creative director, who lives in an apartment in a Jurong condominium, says: "Some of my friends have called me crazy but I don't care.

"When my children make it to a better school and do well, I'll be the one having the last, and best, laugh."

Siao kow !!

My 2 kids spent $800 per month for tuition too.. [:|]

it will get more when come P6.... i noticed most in secondary dun really go for tuitions.

Edited by Jman888

Supercharged

it will get more when come P6.... i noticed most in secondary dun really go for tuitions.

Why leh?

Isn't O Levels just as stressful.... [:/]

Supercharged

i go KTV also nvr spend so much money lei.

how?

siao lah!

Becos you didn't tip the GRO and her mamasan, so need not spend so much... [:p]