Parent pays nearly $6,000 a month in tuition fees

Jman888

My 2 kids spent $800 per month for tuition too.. [:|]

I got one relative, not doing so well in fact lives in 3 room flat in boon lay, and he spent about 1-1.5k a month for his P5 son. Lessons from math, english, chinese, common subjects and even to bowling lessons. He still got another 2 younger children which is still in nursery.

I wonder how he still managed to survive moreover he just declared bankrupt few years ago [crazy]

↡ Advertisement

I got one relative, not doing so well in fact lives in 3 room flat in boon lay, and he spent about 1-1.5k a month for his P5 son. Lessons from math, english, chinese, common subjects and even to bowling lessons. He still got another 2 younger children which is still in nursery.

I wonder how he still managed to survive moreover he just declared bankrupt few years ago [crazy]

declared bankrupt can be a smoke screen lah...he make big money no one know only...

declared bankrupt can be a smoke screen lah...he make big money no one know only...

I know him well now he set up small biz earn about 6-7k amonth and sole breadwinner but pay tuition fee so much compared to his income, he got car and maid some more registered under wife name -_-

husband and wife make $3800 a month but spent $2100 on kid's tuition fee   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

德士司机夫妇月入$3800, 子女补习费$2100
09/10/2016 on 新明日报

狮城家长对补习的狂热,令补习业年值超过10亿元,比2008年的8.2亿元来得更高。(《新报》)

德士司机与妻子月入3800元,但一对子女每月补习费却达2100元,德士司机说:“我们宁愿作出牺牲,让孩子有更好的起跑点。”

《新报星期刊》访问了几个补习开销庞大的家庭。德士司机吴德胜(45岁)原本只开早班,但去年开始每天工作12小时、一周六天,月入约2400元。吴德胜的妻子陈琳达更身兼二职,除了当文员,还在酒廊当清洁工,每月赚1400元。

虽然一家四口靠3800元的总收入,理应过得十分宽裕,但吴德胜每月为一对子女所花的补习费高达2100元,因此虽然没有负债,但一家人手头也很紧,没有储蓄。

吴德胜为15岁的儿子请私人补习老师,希望儿子能考上初级学院。他指儿子成绩中等,在数学和英文方面需要帮助。

吴德胜11岁的女儿则等了半年才获得一著名补习中心的学额,每季补习费达1200元,另外每月的华文私人补习也得花400元。吴德胜说:“她(女儿)是比较聪明的那个,我们希望给她最好的。”

吴德胜坦言,女儿的学校为学生提供额外课程,但他不想冒险:“问题不在于老师太差,而是一班30个孩子,老师能给我的女儿多少关注?”

• Praise 1

husband and wife make $3800 a month but spent $2100 on kid's tuition fee   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

haiz...i hope the child grow up and rem repay parents' effort

• Praise 1

Too much on tuition le ... in the end, the whole family suffers ...

If there is any hospitalization, where to get $ for treatment ?!

If there is any emergency, then how?

Anyway, to a parent, children are everything .... can't blame them ...

Hopefully the children can be sensible enough, to study hard and try not to have tuition so as to relieve the financial burden on their parent.

• Praise 1

husband and wife make $3800 a month but spent $2100 on kid's tuition fee [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

investment to kid to become million dollar mini-star?

In general, people still see education as the ONLY way to success.

• Praise 3

If any child needs that much tuition then the child ain't got it and it will be money wasted, imo.

But if that's the way parents think and that's how they wish to spend their hard earned then so be it.

• Praise 1

Life is not all about books. What is the point if you are unable to grasp important people skills such as leadership, communication, integrity and critical thinking?

These cannot be taught in schools and it comes from good unbiased and extremely careful parenting.

Soon, you will find yourself staying alive in a deep pool of mud while others are way ahead in the social ladder.

What's the big deal?

So many managers lack 

leadership, communication, integrity and critical thinking

including myself and we and not doing too badly.

Actually I am just being humble, I don't lack critical thinking skills. 

I am always thinking how to criticise my staff.

:D

• Praise 1

If you are rich and your kid is not the brightest.

Then you can try one of those universities down

under. Just donate a library and graduation can be

arranged. The is how the rich succeed.

Life is not fair so take full advantage of it.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

There 1 jc teacher , teaching in school near bishan charging 200 per hour dizzy.gif

200 per hour?

Doing home work for a child

and the child pretending its

his or her own work?

Sounds like prosecution to me.  [thumbsup]

The parents are giving the best to their children what they didn't have when they were young.

Respect the parents sacrifice for the children.

• Praise 1

A lot of parents don't know how to help their children and just throw money at the problem hoping other people can solve.

If the parent is not a "good student" and therefore unable to help his own child in the school subjects - how realistically can he or she expect the child to ever become "good student"?? Like it or not, academic achievement or intelligence or learning ability/interest is very much determined by nature (genes, sorry ... not being PC here), and nurture (family influence and environment).

Parents should be realistic and open their eyes to the various routes possible for their child to earn a living - not just the degree route. 20 years down the road, nobody cares how the child did for PSLE, but whether the child can be an independent, reliable and responsible adult.

I have seen many young people, professionals, with good results and degrees from reputable local or overseas institutions - but still single in their 30s (!) and living with their parents (!!) Don't talk about being able to raise their own family ... so what use is the stellar results??

• Praise 4

What the fark is wrong with our society? No amount of money can teach a child how to study. Only when they have grown up will they value the lesson taught through self-determination and hardwork. What they learn at such a young age will translate into their life at a later age and by telling money solve all those problems is the wrong direction.

• Praise 2

The parents are giving the best to their children what they didn't have when they were young.

Respect the parents sacrifice for the children.

While i feel it's a bit excessive. Can see where the parents are coming from.

As long as they don't put too much pressure on the kids, think it's ok.

I know of a customer who pays approx $5k a month to each active school teacher to give private tuition for 1 subject. Her primary school daughter receives private tuition for 4 subjects (total approx $20k a month). She got her chauffeur to fetch these 4 different teachers to house and send them home in a S400. Year-end got ang pows too.

I remember she once told me "you can't do too badly in this system" [laugh] 

True story.  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4