7 New Hawker Centres In 5 Years

Mustank

Supersonic

I think most of the newly built hawker centre location are ulu la. The hawker centre is only serve the residents staying nearby.

No.

Pasir Ris one is near the bus interchange and White Sands wor.

↡ Advertisement

hmm.. I think the Yishun Park Hawker centre location not consider ulu leh...  It's near to park and surround by HDB flats.

When it was first open, business was not bad for the stall owners but months down the road, people stop going to the Hawker centre as the food price is higher as compare to the coffee shops nearby and you don't need to return tray at the coffee shop plus drinks ordered will be bring to your table instead of self-serving.

Can't blame the stall owners for charging high price for the foods as I heard the rental is high can compare to the coffee shop rental or even higher.

Ulu as in not near to MRT. Lol.

No.

Pasir Ris one is near the bus interchange and White Sands wor.

Only pasir ris is not ulu? 

When they take away my tray, I'm getting a sense that they may be feeling nervous about losing their job so they want to make sure they get to clear the tables first.

Honestly, I prefer that everyone return the tray, for hygiene reasons. A lot of times, the food left for a few minutes and the crows and mynahs will be there.

Dont know how true. But nowadays those cleaner really way too fast to clear away the utilities the moment you finished eating even during off peak where the food centre is not crowded. 

Turbocharged

don't anyhow talk cock lah.

want to blame, also blame properly right?

It was first started by Timbre Group. They started it first. Yishun Park HC is also run by them.

The real problem is that NEA doesn't want to handle all this stuff anymore. So they own the premise but let these operators deal with all this saigang or administrative crap.

Which is totally make sense from a national perspective of not adding more sorta unnecessary stuff into the realm of civil service or govt.

But obviously these operators are in it for money right. Cannot be just to cover operating costs mah.

That fundamentally is the only problem. Whatever other issues all originate from this root cause. In terms of keeping govt more leaner, i agree. But the new HCs are never going to be as good as the old ones.

Bottomline my doctor fren..still a problem caused by gahmen scholars...... [laugh]

Edited by Kyrios

The real problem is that NEA doesn't want to handle all this stuff anymore. So they own the premise but let these operators deal with all this saigang or administrative crap.

Which is totally make sense from a national perspective of not adding more sorta unnecessary stuff into the realm of civil service or govt.

But obviously these operators are in it for money right. Cannot be just to cover operating costs mah.

That fundamentally is the only problem. Whatever other issues all originate from this root cause. In terms of keeping govt more leaner, i agree. But the new HCs are never going to be as good as the old ones.

Actually I am not sure why it went under NEA under the first place (other than the fact that they are in charge of cleanliness). It used to be under HDB and I'm sure HDB would have been better equipped to handle all the tenant/rental business.

Bottomline my doctor fren..still a problem caused by gahmen scholars...... [laugh]

I think it's good governance not to do so. Building a hawker center etc sure. Operating the hawker center and allowing for profit businesses to operate there under considerable subsidy? This is not the 1970s or 1980s.

Actually I am not sure why it went under NEA under the first place (other than the fact that they are in charge of cleanliness). It used to be under HDB and I'm sure HDB would have been better equipped to handle all the tenant/rental business.

well HC undergo damn a lot of cleaning that's for sure. They are like closed few days per quarter or something for cleaning  [laugh]

• Praise 1

I think it's good governance not to do so. Building a hawker center etc sure. Operating the hawker center and allowing for profit businesses to operate there under considerable subsidy? This is not the 1970s or 1980s.

well HC undergo damn a lot of cleaning that's for sure. They are like closed few days per quarter or something for cleaning [laugh]

ideally garment would not need to subsidise, but whether people would be attracted to open hawker stalls?

I think the idea is good, but execution depends ...  outsource doesn't mean hands off. Previously, the civil servant only need to manage his direct line workers who will do whatever he says, now he has to manage a private vendor who will not do whatever he says unless it is in the contract.

This is similar to the transport issue. Govt said hands off, let pte enterprise flourish. Then now restart back HC since 2011 elections cos people say damade, we want our HC food!  [laugh]

Then they decided on a public-pte hybrid of letting pte operators operate but with some cap on food prices etc. But while some places may work out eg maybe NTUC foodfare would be more in line with govt talk, but this Timbre group just want to earn their money and have a decent to good profit margin  [dead]

Frankly i think it will eventually come down to how much people make noise again. But this isn't like public transport ...

If gahmen stop these hawker centres then I think most of our hawker-run traditional hawker stalls will be gone by now. It is quite a different game when you open a stall in private food court and kopitiam, there are a lot of fees to pay on top of monthly rent, and they might even enforce profit sharing. You can guess why they do this by looking at the high prices they bid and pay for the property. Somewhere some things have gone wrong. Ideally, it is best left to market forces, but when market forces are dominated by a few players .... 

actually the hawker trade is getting lost cos it's not that profitable to make highly labour/time/skill intensive handmade food  [dead]

it won't go away just cos govt step in and say, let's have subsidised stall rental again.

Typically, nobody wants more job because they don't get incentive to oversee more areas. The iron rice bowl mentality is still very strong. The ministry with a strong minister will push all the rubbish to the weaker ones. NEA will not get it if LHL is their minister. :a-t9412:

What i hate to see is all the ministry is now pushing their duties to 3rd parties. While I can understand they do not want to be running the operation of the food centre. if they are put in charge, they are responsible and not just collecting licence fees. They have to set guidelines and oversee their implementations including having to take over the operation and charge cost to the stallholders if they cannot manage themselves.

It is irresponsible to just point finger and say it is the stallholders problem. After all, who gives out the licence and are responsible in managing them? I hear some hawker centre business are bad as such they cannot sustain the maintenance cost. So, it is again NEA duty to study if that hawker center should be retained or upgrade. Are they having too many stalls within the vicinity while the population load is low? Then who is giving out so many licences? :a-noway:

With food delivery getting more popular nowadays , is there a need for more hawker centers?

am not a fan of delivery food, so will still go coffee shop / hawker centre. 

• Praise 1

some hawker and coffee shop food also have foodpanda/honestbee/deliveroo doing delivery for them.

With food delivery getting more popular nowadays , is there a need for more hawker centers?

Supersonic

I also prefer to go to coffee shop and hawker centre to eat rather than delivery. Unless something happen to me until i really cannot go out of the house to buy food then opt for delivery.

• Praise 2

I also prefer to go to coffee shop and hawker centre to eat rather than delivery. Unless something happen to me until i really cannot go out of the house to buy food then opt for delivery.

On Sunday night, it was heavy downpour.  I ordered delivery via deliveroo.  My food arrived on time & piping hot.

Hypersonic

I call this laziness industry. And it appeals to alot of sedentary people.

Only use foodpanda once, becoz initially they have attractive coupons.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I call this laziness industry. And it appeals to alot of sedentary people.

Only use foodpanda once, becoz initially they have attractive coupons.

Don't be surprised.

Many laziness industry these days. No proper assets, proper capital, not sure how to sustain.

Don't be surprised.

Many laziness industry these days. No proper assets, proper capital, not sure how to sustain.

For delivery service, what kind of proper assets you need?

How do you define proper capital?

Supersonic

For delivery service, what kind of proper assets you need?

How do you define proper capital?

Not directed at any particular industry but just look at the number of scams, for example the Parallel Importers in the recent years.

CASE is a toothless tiger. So it's the consumers at the losing end.

↡ Advertisement