7 New Hawker Centres In 5 Years

Mustank

I think in Singapore, there is no way to keep a good hawker down.

if the food is good, people will come.

the only thing is just the working hours and the profit margin (rent not too high)

I have eaten noodles priced at $4 and it was cmi. maybe because of the rent they charge so much but the noodle cooking skill they also cut. nevermind how expensive the ingredients are.

as a plus, at least his fish balls are hand made. factory balls are just cmi

I actually thought that some stuff can't be made by hand anymore. Cos of food safety requirements.

Hardly see any handmade fishballs anymore

↡ Advertisement

When food is good, patronage will increase. Then landlord be it food court/coffeshop, will start to have deep concerns. Then when existing term is up = up the rental. Then stall owner bei song, relocate elsewhere. Rinse & repeat.

• Praise 5

In SG, the only big killer to any business is the rental. Other costs can be varied and controlled by the biz owner, but not the rental.

Our govt, somehow, refuses to see this way and often cited other reasons

U r damm disgusting, u know that. Big fat blob..... :grin:

got to send you back to RT everyday

miranda_kerr_princess_leia_slave_jabba_h

bring me the solo and the cookie :serious-business:

I actually thought that some stuff can't be made by hand anymore. Cos of food safety requirements.

Douglas gets up 4am everyday to make fresh fishballs. Only good thing was during world cup season, he get to watch football and make fishball at the same time. [laugh]

• Praise 1

yes you are allowed to use bare hands if you do not touch anything else like money or mix cook and raw food preparation.

all part of food safety hygiene.

I still do see the hawkers make wanton and fishballs bare handed.

using gloves is too difficult.

and some stalls I see the gloves are for wayang.

worse is the same glove used to handle food and money.. LOL

miranda_kerr_princess_leia_slave_jabba_h

bring me the solo soda and the cookie :serious-business:

yes you are allowed to use bare hands if you do not touch anything else like money or mix cook and raw food preparation.

all part of food safety hygiene.

I still do see the hawkers make wanton and fishballs bare handed.

using gloves is too difficult.

and some stalls I see the gloves are for wayang.

worse is the same glove used to handle food and money.. LOL

oh yeah!!!! :XD::XD: :XD:

Douglas gets up 4am everyday to make fresh fishballs. Only good thing was during world cup season, he get to watch football and make fishball at the same time. [laugh]

hawker is a tough life.

that's why 2nd generation hawkers are getting less and less.

Turbocharged

nowadays, hawker centre are really crap..

Not the OLD type of hawker centre that we used to have.

New hawker Centre are operated by big companies like Kopi tiam, Fei Siong or NTUC.....I guess Sheng Siong and KouFu will be bidding for the next few Hawker centres.

Look at Fei Siong recent open Hawker Centre at Hougang area (Inside the Community centre), Fei Siong occupied almost 20stalls selling varity of local foods. Kopi and Tea stalls are all controlled by them

Where is the healthy competition? Been there once.....don't like the concept.

Rather go to Kovan Hawker centre for friendly services

• Praise 1

New hawker Centre are operated by big companies like Kopi tiam, Fei Siong or NTUC.....I guess Sheng Siong and KouFu will be bidding for the next few Hawker centres.

Look at Fei Siong recent open Hawker Centre at Hougang area (Inside the Community centre), Fei Siong occupied almost 20stalls selling varity of local foods. Kopi and Tea stalls are all controlled by them

coffeeshop disguised as the new hawker centre

pseudo hawker centre

but

for me is good food

Ci Yuan is run by Fei Siong as a social enterprise, non profit I believe, and priority is cheap and affordable food (not likely to be the best as they use bulk purchases to lower cost and cap prices), may not appeal to foodies but it will benefit lower income residents. Love the good ventilation and clean environment but the food there is generally so so only but some serve pretty ok stuff.

The really good hawkers are not afraid of high rental as they can pass it on to willing consumers but the objective of this is to provide affordable alternatives, it is an alternative, there are still free enterprise hawker centers, food courts and restaurants (many cost more than in HK, Tokyo, etc. these days) to choose from, so I support this initiative.

Will this lower food quality in our hawker centers in the long run as it may become a race to the bottom? Probably not unless govt imposes price cap across all hawker centers in Singapore. Singaporeans will decide if they want good hawker food or cheap hawker food, why can't we have good and cheap hawker food?

• Praise 2

Ci Yuan is run by Fei Siong as a social enterprise, non profit I believe, and priority is cheap and affordable food (not likely to be the best as they use bulk purchases to lower cost and cap prices), may not appeal to foodies but it will benefit lower income residents. Love the good ventilation and clean environment but the food there is generally so so only but some serve pretty ok stuff.

The really good hawkers are not afraid of high rental as they can pass it on to willing consumers but the objective of this is to provide affordable alternatives, it is an alternative, there are still free enterprise hawker centers, food courts and restaurants (many cost more than in HK, Tokyo, etc. these days) to choose from, so I support this initiative.

Will this lower food quality in our hawker centers in the long run as it may become a race to the bottom? Probably not unless govt imposes price cap across all hawker centers in Singapore. Singaporeans will decide if they want good hawker food or cheap hawker food, why can't we have good and cheap hawker food?

Yes we can have cheap and good hawker food.

many of the food raw material cost is not that expensive.

it may involve a lot of labour to prepare.

if margin is low, a high sales volume can compensate.

the problem with food is that you cannot keep too long.

most hawker food must sell in one day.

most hawkers don't want to build up the clientele. they do not invest in attracting customer based on good food.

they are only looking at the profit at the end of the day.

only the good hawkers have success because they build up the clientele by selling good food and can increase the sales volume as it grows.

that said, a hawker's job is tough.

there are also food cooking practices that we may not think is good but that is the secret of the culinary art.. LOL. but that's another story

Kudos to Fei Siong!!!! [thumbsup]

• Praise 3

The govt's approach is akin to the role of NTUC Fairprice. Set up a slew of hawker centers at rentals which they can control and impose either maximum food prices or subsidies rental vis a vis market rates.

A bottom up approach. This is their only possible approach cos the market rates are really set by the more than 1000 coffee shops. The coffee shops take their cue from the malls. You see, they cannot take a top down approach and force the malls to lower rent. Too many implications and practically impossible as the vast majority is tied to Reits.

Impact?

Cap increasing prices.

Forget about lowering prices.

Likely outcome-scenario, price equilibrium over the next few years.

• Praise 2

sigh, the gahmen is BS again.

just like their increment on baby bonus today & the double increment of all childcare services and expenses tomorrow . . . .

its been so many questions on why certain items are sold 5-15% higher in ntuc then sheng siong or others . . .

likewise, the increase of imports/exports of raw items on food had never been as high as any inflations to property rentals, i.e. 25 to 200% annually!

so, it clearly shows that our gahmen is merely walking half of their talking, as usual . . .

you can easily verify the rates of increases to any hawker rentals anywhere since this thread was started in 2012, that resulted in the cost charges to consumers . . . .

you can basically iron out if there's any drastic differences (quantity & quality) from that same plate of chicken rice you obtained from the same stall for the past 3 years..... but the seller will probably shout at you on his operational capitals, especially the rentals!!!!

to date, our gahmens have been very reluctant to cap prices on hawker food with their 101 reasons (or just excuses)....

their half-f&*k measures are purposely there for them to trigger price equilibirum over market drives

as said, the gahmen is BS again.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Talk about hawker food prices!!! Ok FYI, I have talked to a chic rice stall in Old Airport Hawker CTR.

Rent $2000 per month - ok

Mic Fess $180 per month - ok

Fees to help you clear plates : $480 !!! KNN $480 p/m - you go multiply by the number stalls in this CTR.

Not the End : the stall owner told me next year may gonna increase to $800 p/m due to a new operator taking over the clear plates business! May or may not - to be confirmed.

Govern should take over the cleaning duties and keep operating cost low! Agree ?

Edited by Digthis1
  • Praise 1

Talk about hawker food prices!!! Ok FYI, I have talked to a chic rice stall in Old Airport Hawker CTR.

Fees to help you clear plates : $480 !!! KNN $480 p/m - you go multiply by the number stalls in this CTR.

Not the End : the stall owner told me next year may gonna increase to $800 p/m due to a new operator taking over the clear plates business! May or may not - to be confirmed.

Govern should take over the cleaning duties and keep operating cost low! Agree ?

Govern will not take over all these Sai Kang of cleaning where they to manage.

Instead they do it cleverly == outsource out to third party just make sure its clean. Not clean will fine you as for cost not their problem as it will eventually be pass on to consumers.

End of the day LLST

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Fees for clearing plates $480 so high and yet the hawker centre still full of plates laying on the tables?

↡ Advertisement