Where to buy CTEK battery charger in Singapore

I_RIDE_DEEP

I used to be more concerned about flat battery but nowadays I'm more concerned about alternators breaking down as the car will stall when in motion which I felt is more dangerous than being unable to start the car.

Charger like ctek needs a AC power supply source. It helps to keep battery in tip-top condition, that is, fully-charged.

Batteries in sg are often undercharged, especially if you drive short distance, at night, where you use the battery a lot.

When a battery is frequently undercharged, it has a shorter life span. That's where a charger helps.

A charger is not able to start a car connected to a dead battery. You'll need a good battery to do that.

I am still using the jumpstart kit from Carrefour but I did changed the battery inside once. The jumpstart kit itself cost me $60+ about 5 years back and the battery I bought from Sim Lim costs me $60. Yuasa made in Japan.

It has helped me and a friend to jumpstart cars before. But it will not work on a battery that is totally drained. It will work on a weak battery though.

For a battery that is totally drained, have to jumpstart from another car.

For safety reason, don't jump start car battery that are 100% flat. Try to transfer as much current via a full charge battery, before boost starting the car.

DIY Jump start sets are usually equipped with very cheap lead acid sealed battery not more than 15 amp hr. The professional sets are equipped with high quality AGM Battery and most of them can easily do twenty jump start without recharging.

I have come across owners of jump start set replacing the used original SLI battery with deep cycle industrial traction battery - which have very poor high discharge ( starting) ability .

For safety reason, don't jump start car battery that are 100% flat. Try to transfer as much current via a full charge battery, before boost starting the car.

DIY Jump start sets are usually equipped with very cheap lead acid sealed battery not more than 15 amp hr. The professional sets are equipped with high quality AGM Battery and most of them can easily do twenty jump start without recharging.

I have come across owners of jump start set replacing the used original SLI battery with deep cycle industrial traction battery - which have very poor high discharge ( starting) ability .

Thanks for the info guru. Yes, I couldn't jumpstart the dead battery (left the headlights on for the whole night) with the jumpstart kit. In the end, have to use another vehicle to jumpstart it.

The cars that I have to start is a Honda Jazz and Civic.

Supersonic

I used to be more concerned about flat battery but nowadays I'm more concerned about alternators breaking down as the car will stall when in motion which I felt is more dangerous than being unable to start the car.

Working alternator is equally important, as its function is to charge the battery.

You can watch the battery symbol on the dashboard.

If it continues being lit up when the engine has started, most likely the alternator is toast and need replacement.

Actually I keep a watch for any fluctuations below 12V on my RSM.

Working alternator is equally important, as its function is to charge the battery.

You can watch the battery symbol on the dashboard.

If it continues being lit up when the engine has started, most likely the alternator is toast and need replacement.

I'd say it's considered fully charged.

If you have a multimeter, measure it in the morning before starting engine, which means it has a rest of at least 10 hrs.

If it's around 12.66V and above, that's fully charged.

However, this doesn't necessary mean your battery has the power to start engine.

That can be measured by hydrometer (for acid concentration) and specialized battery digital meter for cca.

problem with measuring them is that it keeps on fluctuating even without engine running .................maybe the multimeter is not good enough [:p]

If these batt chargers cost too much, it might be wiser to change car battery at shorter intervals, e.g. 2 years and keep the number of those mobile car battery guy handy...

Battery ave abt $110 to $160. Use 2 years, per month only abt $5 to $7. Ie delay changing battery for 1 mth save u $5... So not worth to drag too long.

car like cefiro needs to change every yr...... :blink:

me mpv is 1.5yrs or else............ [sweatdrop] , anyway i gave up on MF batt, now on convectional type,as it seems more trustworthy

(edited)

If these batt chargers cost too much, it might be wiser to change car battery at shorter intervals, e.g. 2 years and keep the number of those mobile car battery guy handy...

Battery ave abt $110 to $160. Use 2 years, per month only abt $5 to $7. Ie delay changing battery for 1 mth save u $5... So not worth to drag too long.

Generally that may be true to most.

However, some people have different needs though, eg, charging a motorbike that you ride only once or twice a month. Or if you go overseas alot for a long time, you can plug it into the car too.

In sg, unfortunately, this would mean you need access to a porch.

Edited by I_RIDE_DEEP

Supersonic

Generally in SG weather, car battery last average about 2 yrs.

If yours make it to 2 yrs, wisdom tells you to change it out before it failed.

Usually by this time, the battery is weak already.

Pushing it more, just gets you a few more weeks or months before you're stuck in somewhere inconvenient.

If you don't wish to be caught in that situation, you'll know what to do.

Charging a 2 yr battery does nothing much. It is most likely heavily sulphated by this time and just waiting to fail.

Generally in SG weather, car battery last average about 2 yrs.

If yours make it to 2 yrs, wisdom tells you to change it out before it failed.

Usually by this time, the battery is weak already.

Pushing it more, just gets you a few more weeks or months before you're stuck in somewhere inconvenient.

If you don't wish to be caught in that situation, you'll know what to do.

Charging a 2 yr battery does nothing much. It is most likely heavily sulphated by this time and just waiting to fail.

I am not trying to prolong the life. If I come back from oversease after four weeks, I can't even start the engine.

I have one of this batt pack.

the problem is need to regularly charge them.

But it may not always be able to jump start a car. The battery inside is around 12Ah only.

nowadays I use it to power projects and accessories

Supersonic

I am not trying to prolong the life. If I come back from oversease after four weeks, I can't even start the engine.

4 week is a bit too short. Either your car has high parasitic drain or your battery condition is unhealthy and can't store much charge.

I have gone away for 2 months and still the battery will start the car.

Some cars do not have problem with disconnecting battery, others have problem with power windows and other stuffs.

If yours belong to the former, you can always disconnect the negative terminal before you leave, and put it back later on.

However, once you remove the negative terminal, your central lock will not work. You have to manually locked every door.

4 week is a bit too short. Either your car has high parasitic drain or your battery condition is unhealthy and can't store much charge.

I have gone away for 2 months and still the battery will start the car.

Some cars do not have problem with disconnecting battery, others have problem with power windows and other stuffs.

If yours belong to the former, you can always disconnect the negative terminal before you leave, and put it back later on.

However, once you remove the negative terminal, your central lock will not work. You have to manually locked every door.

Tks bro. I try option 1 next time. It is worth a try :)

Neutral Newbie

Can look for me if u staying at west side.......

View my blog below [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement