NS life now and then

Ysc3

Twincharged

any parents of boys who has just entered BMT ?

what's the life like now ? compared to your time ?

↡ Advertisement

any parents of boys who has just entered BMT ?

what's the life like now ? compared to your time ?

FYI, the Army Museum at Safti is open to all NSmen. One member can bring 4 guests on weekends iirc. Anyone who has served NS before is a member. No need SAFRA.

Can be quite boring but you'll find some answers you need there.

From what I last heard,

Every BMT bunk got a computer with internet, the camo net for helmet is now replaced with a simple wrap-around, and 24km route march ends at Marina Bay floating platform with POP.

I guess SAF is evolving and changing alot... My time, '93 Mon-intake, Log-PT, Unarm Combat, all sorts are still in. Area cleaning every day, cook-house cleaning. Need to march out from Camp to Bus stop.

Double-deck spring bed, with full pack and helmet on top of cupboard..etc.

But now, dunlop single bed with mattress. Area cleaning sub-con to outside contractors, shuttle bus to ferry soldiers to nearest bus stop. Seems like Army is now a little to comfy for our FT-NS boys.

last time ppl say Army is waste time... i dun really think so...

if it did not train you to become a real soldier, at least you became a man.

Now, with all these comfort in place, Army is truly wasting our boys time... in and out, same young punk.

Twincharged

actually, i was looking at my 12 yr old nephew ... at this age still cannot shower by himself !!

and he just leaves his used utensils at the sink after he is finished with them ...

during my ICTs at PLC, i noticed we just needed to clear our utensils and leave them at the washing bay for the contractors to wash ... unlike when i was in BMT in tekong and then in PLC in 1990 ... where we had to line up and wash our utensils after our meals.

do our recruits still wash their own utensils now ??

Twincharged

soldiers to nearest bus stop. Seems like Army is now a little to comfy for our FT-NS boys.

care to elaborate on the ending ?

Last time even NCC school camp also need to wash utensils (followed by the finger test for oily stains by the Specs) and meals were still being cooked by Army cooks! Now.....army is worse (or much better depending on ur POV) then the NCC of the past!

actually, i was looking at my 12 yr old nephew ... at this age still cannot shower by himself !!

and he just leaves his used utensils at the sink after he is finished with them ...

during my ICTs at PLC, i noticed we just needed to clear our utensils and leave them at the washing bay for the contractors to wash ... unlike when i was in BMT in tekong and then in PLC in 1990 ... where we had to line up and wash our utensils after our meals.

do our recruits still wash their own utensils now ??

What about SOC? I heard the 700m run down and final 600m are abolish in BMT stage? Then got what VOC now, like a group kind of "SOC"?

It was abolish quite a while back I think. just a short run ( I think 50m) to obstacles, & 50m or so after obstacle to end point.

But I do think that the improved bed is a good thing. My time, at least at the beginning, is those cheapo 5 cm mattress & super thin pillow.

A lot of the training involving ground troops are now geared towards urban warfare/hostage rescue, terrorist search situations. Not like the old days when infantry units like mine are trained for jungle warfare/full

frontal assault kind of operations.

Turbocharged

From what I last heard,

Every BMT bunk got a computer with internet, the camo net for helmet is now replaced with a simple wrap-around, and 24km route march ends at Marina Bay floating platform with POP.

The end point should be Kranji War Memorial which i think NS become very meaningful

My son just enlisted in feb. Physical training has been outsourced no more ptis except for a few now they use certis instructors by pt is still as tough or tougher than before.

Food quality is average with alot of pork but small servings in cookhouse catered by ntuc but actually cooked and cleaned by chinese nationals.

Bunks are double decker facilities are ok nothing fancy.

Computer wise not all companies are issued. Certainly no ipad except for kestrel coy which is the hiongest so end up even though they are issued, they dont get to use it.

Usage is also controlled and stritcly for the learnet system too.

Edited by Cerano

1. Old Rank (PFC, CFC) -> New Rank

2. Old # 4 -> New # 4

3. ROD -> ORD

4. NS + Reservist -> NSF + NS Men

5. SAFTI -> Now call what huh?

The best time-waster of SAF is WITS suggestion!!! [laugh]

Btw area cleaning still exists daily and is not outsourced that includes toilet cleaning.

Standby area is also conducted almost daily. Reveille depends on coy but for my son is 0500 so they wake at 4:45 or so

↡ Advertisement