Reviews on the NISSAN Almera

Xtremee

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys!! was looking for a new car recently> took great interest into this car by NISSAN

Nissan Almera

30586__1320725288.jpg
LOOKS GOOD DOESNT IT!!

Here are some review i got from one of straits time website.

Description
Good ol' austerity drive
Despite a lack of frills, the Thai-made Nissan Almera gets you to your destination hassle-free
By Christopher Tan
Published: November 5 2011,
The Straits Times
................................................................................
When Japanese car manufacturers started to shift production to Thailand in the 1990s, they had two things in mind.

One, to get around the high tariffs which many South-east Asian markets imposed on imported vehicles. Under Afta (Asean Free Trade Agreement), cars assembled in member states are subject to preferential taxes.

Two, they were bracing themselves for a possible labour shortage back home. A number of plants in Japan were already relying on imported labour by then, even as companies were raising salaries to attract domestic workers.

Toyota and Honda were the first. They launched Asean-specific models - the Honda City and Toyota Soluna (which became the Vios) - back in the mid- 1990s.

While these cars have been selling like hotcakes in emerging markets in the region, they get a mixed reception in sophisticated Singapore.

When COEs are relatively low, they cruise along the upper half of the sales chart. But when COEs are high (like now), they sputter.

It does not help that Japanese manufacturers designate fairly basic models for the region - models that lack the bells and whistles increasingly common in other cars, even the once-austere Korean makes.

The new Nissan Almera is the latest example. The carmaker's second Thai- made model to arrive here (the first was the March in February), the Almera goes head to head with Honda City and Toyota Corolla Altis.

Size-wise, the Almera sits between the two other Thai-made Japanese rivals. But visually, it comes across as the biggest - possibly because of its height. At 1.5m, it is the tallest of the three.

This trait translates to immense headroom in the car, which incidentally is not too shoddy in terms of legroom and elbow room either. Boot space, at 490 litres, is decent.

While there is plenty of space in the Almera, there is not much else you can say about that space. The cabin is rudimentary, with a cockpit that is minimalist and an equipment level that might have been modest 20 years ago.

Strangely, however, it does not add up to an altogether unpleasant experience. While the interior is unabashedly plasticky, it is not pretentious. Nissan has not attempted to dress it up with faux wood or gaudy metallic surfaces.

The features are nothing to write home about. Manual air-conditioning controls, a sound system that sounds hollow and powered windows with no one-touch operation.

The only concessions to modernity are electrically operated wing mirrors, a keyless access and ignition system, and a boot lid that can be opened from the rear (rather uncommon among Japanese cars).

Its drivetrain is similarly simplistic: a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder that puts out less than 100 horsepower, mated to a four-speed autobox that does not have a manual override.

If you want a five-speed transmission, you will have to choose the manual version.

It has front MacPherson strut suspension and torsion beam for the rear. Although basic, the Almera betrays none of the harshness its more sophisticated siblings used to show whenever they went over a hump.

The car gets front-ventilated disc brakes and drum brakes for the rear wheels.

As expected, the Almera is not what anyone would call a driver's car. It has more body roll than a belly dancer - even at the slightest agitation. It lacks oomph and often requires high revs to get going. And its steering is loose and woolly.

Despite all that, the car is not excruciating to drive.

It has good all-round visibility, a relatively tight turning circle and it is a mind-numbingly easy car to operate. Which makes it ideal for driving schools. Being relatively lightweight, the car is fuel-efficient too.

It is a rather stylish-looking car too, even if completely devoid of bling. The Premium version gets tan leather upholstery and 16-inch rims.

Too bad Afta-compliant cars do not enjoy preferential tax treatment in Singapore.

Note, it states that the car is the largest SEDAN of its range, in my opinion should be Toyota? Honda?

How ever when i want to know is that other than SIZE, is it superior in other aspects?
Engine efficiency?
Air dynamics?

Hope that you guys can help me with my decision making...
FYI i'm more interested in Japanese made cars

anyway if anyone is curious i got my link from here.
NIssan Almera

Edited by HyperTonic
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I guess it would be difficult to get owner as this car is relatively new. I do remember there was someone mentioned in one of the threads that his uncle or someone purchased it. Search for "Almera" and go through the threads.

All the best to you!

• Praise 1

gentle comment is price is too high - you might want to consider Korea's car - better spec and features.

Not many owner of this car.

• Praise 1

gentle comment is price is too high - you might want to consider Korea's car - better spec and features.

-double post-

Edited by Tohto

Agreed. The spec is too basic for the price. Made in Thailand somemore. Interior quality is much worst than the Latio.

Only buy it unless you are die hard Japan or Nissan car supporter.

Get the Elantra.

Edited by Tohto

TS working with car firm?

Drum brakes? And big space?

Nothing to shout about.

Good for people who want a reliable and simple car at premium price.

• Praise 1

TS you said you got great interest in this car.

Ok..let's discuss on your likes about this car, and it's saving grace.......as compared to the other cars you have compared.

Also if you do made up you mind on your next car....please tell me why you chose that car instead of Almera.

So TS, after all the debate on cars vs public transport, you decide to settle on the Almera?

Just a personal opinion though, I find that Nissan ain't producing good looking cars nowadays.

With the Almera price tag, you can consider the Forte or top up a bit to get the Elantra.

Cars are so expensive now and I think even to get a point A-B car. the money should be well spent on a value for money + decent looking car. After all, I guess you gonna stick to it for a long long time.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

OK firstly im not a fanatic of cars. Just want something fuel efficient and reliable.

I like the Nissan Almera as

1. I am a former owner of a Nissan Sunny, so probably can get use to driving this car better.

2. I have a family, so was looking for something more spacious and yet not burning too big a hole in my pocket.

3.Its a new design, So it wont look that old fashioned in the future, with higher resale value. ESP for ppl who dont want to be seen driving an old car.

Im not looking for ars with V8 engines or Ultra sports cars.

Just want something which can feed my needs

Now we are in 2012 already and the Almera engine only produce 99bhp [sweatdrop]

Edited by Tohto

OK firstly im not a fanatic of cars. Just want something fuel efficient and reliable.

I like the Nissan Almera as

1. I am a former owner of a Nissan Sunny, so probably can get use to driving this car better.

2. I have a family, so was looking for something more spacious and yet not burning too big a hole in my pocket.

3.Its a new design, So it wont look that old fashioned in the future, with higher resale value. ESP for ppl who dont want to be seen driving an old car.

Im not looking for ars with V8 engines or Ultra sports cars.

Just want something which can feed my needs

the design i find a bit dated...i test drove it a month back...not impressed, especially the looks (but looks it very subjective)...if u really really getting this car, try to bargain hard...i got the feeling that they are willing to offer further discounts than the listed price...

have you test drove renault fluence? quite similar budget ... personally preferred this but then, resale price will suffer.

• Praise 1

Hi guys!! was looking for a new car recently> took great interest into this car by NISSAN

Nissan Almera

LOOKS GOOD DOESNT IT!!

Here are some review i got from one of straits time website.

Description

Good ol' austerity drive

Despite a lack of frills, the Thai-made Nissan Almera gets you to your destination hassle-free

By Christopher Tan

Published: November 5 2011,

The Straits Times

................................................................................

When Japanese car manufacturers started to shift production to Thailand in the 1990s, they had two things in mind.

One, to get around the high tariffs which many South-east Asian markets imposed on imported vehicles. Under Afta (Asean Free Trade Agreement), cars assembled in member states are subject to preferential taxes.

Two, they were bracing themselves for a possible labour shortage back home. A number of plants in Japan were already relying on imported labour by then, even as companies were raising salaries to attract domestic workers.

Toyota and Honda were the first. They launched Asean-specific models - the Honda City and Toyota Soluna (which became the Vios) - back in the mid- 1990s.

While these cars have been selling like hotcakes in emerging markets in the region, they get a mixed reception in sophisticated Singapore.

When COEs are relatively low, they cruise along the upper half of the sales chart. But when COEs are high (like now), they sputter.

It does not help that Japanese manufacturers designate fairly basic models for the region - models that lack the bells and whistles increasingly common in other cars, even the once-austere Korean makes.

The new Nissan Almera is the latest example. The carmaker's second Thai- made model to arrive here (the first was the March in February), the Almera goes head to head with Honda City and Toyota Corolla Altis.

Size-wise, the Almera sits between the two other Thai-made Japanese rivals. But visually, it comes across as the biggest - possibly because of its height. At 1.5m, it is the tallest of the three.

This trait translates to immense headroom in the car, which incidentally is not too shoddy in terms of legroom and elbow room either. Boot space, at 490 litres, is decent.

While there is plenty of space in the Almera, there is not much else you can say about that space. The cabin is rudimentary, with a cockpit that is minimalist and an equipment level that might have been modest 20 years ago.

Strangely, however, it does not add up to an altogether unpleasant experience. While the interior is unabashedly plasticky, it is not pretentious. Nissan has not attempted to dress it up with faux wood or gaudy metallic surfaces.

The features are nothing to write home about. Manual air-conditioning controls, a sound system that sounds hollow and powered windows with no one-touch operation.

The only concessions to modernity are electrically operated wing mirrors, a keyless access and ignition system, and a boot lid that can be opened from the rear (rather uncommon among Japanese cars).

Its drivetrain is similarly simplistic: a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder that puts out less than 100 horsepower, mated to a four-speed autobox that does not have a manual override.

If you want a five-speed transmission, you will have to choose the manual version.

It has front MacPherson strut suspension and torsion beam for the rear. Although basic, the Almera betrays none of the harshness its more sophisticated siblings used to show whenever they went over a hump.

The car gets front-ventilated disc brakes and drum brakes for the rear wheels.

As expected, the Almera is not what anyone would call a driver's car. It has more body roll than a belly dancer - even at the slightest agitation. It lacks oomph and often requires high revs to get going. And its steering is loose and woolly.

Despite all that, the car is not excruciating to drive.

It has good all-round visibility, a relatively tight turning circle and it is a mind-numbingly easy car to operate. Which makes it ideal for driving schools. Being relatively lightweight, the car is fuel-efficient too.

It is a rather stylish-looking car too, even if completely devoid of bling. The Premium version gets tan leather upholstery and 16-inch rims.

Too bad Afta-compliant cars do not enjoy preferential tax treatment in Singapore.

Note, it states that the car is the largest SEDAN of its range, in my opinion should be Toyota? Honda?

How ever when i want to know is that other than SIZE, is it superior in other aspects?

Engine efficiency?

Air dynamics?

Hope that you guys can help me with my decision making...

FYI i'm more interested in Japanese made cars

anyway if anyone is curious i got my link from here.

NIssan Almera

I saw one SKExxxx Almera recently. I really don't know how to appreciate the design :(

• Praise 1

the Almera has quite a good fuel consumption at 14.5km/L but Hyundai Elantra is still better =P

Elantra FC is even better than almera? [:/]

• Praise 1