Kay Lee Roast Meat for sale at $2 million

Ahtong

Supercharged

I dunno why so many ppl eat their stall, very nice meh, so chao tar. Eat already very unhealthy. Super expensive some more. Me and my fren ate char siew, roast pork and roast duck 2 rice and 2 sour plum drink for 27+

In my opinion, the roast meat is nice and tasty. But not cheap, and they don't give soup.

Parking can be a headache too, sometimes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Yeah everytime go car servicing, their shop not open..ended up eat BKT.

Hope got chance to eat their charsiew n sio bak again. Their duck so so only.

I eat at Sheng Shiong Food Mall in Jalan Bahar, $3 for roast duck rice/char siew/pork/chicken, generous portion, nice and tasty. [thumbsup] Parking also easy.

I concur, i have eaten at the food court on 2nd level above SS at Serangoon North.

Portions are large & meats are fresh. Prob they get direct from SS.

guess Atec boss damn swa ku

chao tar sauce roast meat pay 4 million

the last time I bought for my family

everyone say sucks

if I brg them to JB try the roast meat there

I thk they will not want to go home

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Its at tai seng area. Opposite print hub, I work around that area. I noticed their stall sometimes open sometimes close. Not sure whether they have a fixed operational hours.

I remember a few months back I ate there saw a notice saying they close 3 days (but can't remember which 3 days) in a week.... But I know Sunday they are open.

[:)]

just thinking could they have taken a better picture though?.. lol

Agreed.

Perhaps use stall as backdrop also get free advert lah.

I tot it was mother, son and father lol...

• Praise 1

The only Guangzhou styled roast meat are to be had at the KTVs in GZ.

Sold for double the asking price $4million to tech company Aztech. Abit too much of diversity here. Wonder will they turn it to a restaurant, else the kopi tiam staff have to wear Aztech uniform. Next time buy powerline adapter better check got dining voucher included.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food-wine/story/roast-meats-business-kay-lee-sold-4-million-20141021

Roast meats business Kay Lee sold for $4 million
PUBLISHED ON OCT 21, 2014 5:30 AM
66 0 0 1PRINTEMAIL
AL-kay-lee-2010e.jpg
Kay Lee Roast Meat owner Madam Betty Kong, 68, Aztech Group's senior vice president of marketing Jeremy Mun, and CEO & Chairman Michael Mun. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN

BY EUNICE QUEK

Kay Lee Roast Meat Joint has been sold for $4 million to conglomerate Aztech Group, 2 1/2 years after the 32-year-old roast meats institution in Upper Paya Lebar Road was put up for sale.

Publicly-listed Aztech, with diverse businesses ranging from electronics to LED lighting to marine logistics, paid $500,000 more than the original asking price of $3.5 million.

Madam Betty Kong, 68, who owns Kay Lee with her husband Ha Wai Kay, 64, said the price went up because the value of the freehold, 1,313 sq ft shop space had increased. When they first put the business up for sale, they received some 70 offers but none of them met the asking price.

The shop attracts queues and turns in a four-figure daily profit.

She told The Straits Times last night: “They were very sincere and met our asking price. We wanted the name to continue successfully and I will support them. When I’m 90 years old, Kay Lee will still be here.”

Mr Jeremy Mun, 39, Aztech’s senior vice-president and head of marketing, said his father, Mr Michael Mun, 64, the company’s group chief executive, has been a long-time customer.

The younger Mr Mun said: “It’s not about making money, it’s about preserving a heritage brand because a lot of good food has disappeared. So we want to extend the life of Kay Lee and also expand the business.”

So the company approached the couple in August and the deal was completed on Sept 18. The newly set up Kay Lee Pte Ltd will be a subsidiary of Aztech and it will take over operations on Nov 18. The couple will continue to work at the flagship outlet, but it is not known how long they will stay.

Madam Kong, whose two children do not want to continue the business, said: “I will still be there because I have customers who look for me at the stall. If I’m not there, they think the flavour is not the same.”

The roast meats business that she and her husband built from scratch will expand beyond their dreams. Aztech plans to open at least 10 casual restaurants under the Kay Lee name, mostly in heartland malls, in the next two years. The first is expected to open early next year.

The younger Mr Mun said the company had been looking to expand its food business.

“Even in bad times, people still have to eat,” he said.

Aztech has a subsidiary called Shiro Corporation, which sells wines and distributes canned and frozen food, but this is its first foray into restaurants.

The company has hired chefs to learn how to roast the meats using Guangzhou-style recipes that Mr Ha’s father developed in the 1950s. It will retain Kay Lee’s staff and use its current suppliers. By the end of the year, the company will also open a central kitchen.

Mr Mun does not rule out taking the Kay Lee brand to countries in the region and even China.

“After all, the recipes technically came from Guangzhou,” he said.

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food-wine/story/roast-meats-business-kay-lee-sold-4-million-20141021#sthash.rIDGUYA8.dpuf

Applying to be chef at Aztech asap. To learn the Gaungzhou style roast meat.

Aztech roof top mar....

Agreed.

Perhaps use stall as backdrop also get free advert lah.

I tot it was mother, son and father lol...

• Praise 1

Yeah everytime go car servicing, their shop not open..ended up eat BKT.

Hope got chance to eat their charsiew n sio bak again. Their duck so so only.

Next time but their Powerline product, got free packet of preserved char siew.

Viewpoint: Nothing to boast about Kay Lee's roasts
By Wong Ah Yoke The Straits Times Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014
SINGAPORE - In the late 1980s, I would lunch regularly at Kay Lee Roast Meat in Upper Paya Lebar Road because I was working in nearby Kampung Ubi at the time. The roasts were decent but not exceptional, but there were not many good lunch options in the area then.
Which was why I never went back after I changed jobs in 1989. There was no reason to join the long queues when there was better food to be found elsewhere.
When I returned on Nov 15 at 11.15am for this assignment, I had to queue for 35 minutes for my combination plate of roast duck, roast pork and char siew.
It was not cheap. Together with a plate of rice, it cost $12.60. But it was not worth the wait or the price.
All the meats were dry and had little flavour. Disappointingly, the skin on the roast duck was not crispy. The roast pork was sliced too thinly, but the meat was so tough that it would have required a lot of chewing if it was thicker.
The char siew had a little fat but was still dry. And while the edges were crisp, they also tasted burnt.
Returning on Nov 18 on the first day of operations by the new owners, little had changed outwardly. The people taking orders and chopping the meats were the same. But now, there was a proper cashier and you got a receipt for your payment.
This time, the wait was only five minutes, perhaps because it was already almost 2pm and raining.
Ordering the same three meats, I found the char siew and roast pork juicier this time because the cuts were a lot fatter. But they were still not amazing.
The roast duck, however, was still as dry and unimpressive.
The sauce for the marinades were the same - well-balanced and not too sweet - and the gravy poured on the rice tasted good.
But I would say the meats ranged from bad to just above mediocre, depending on the cuts you get.
Will I go back again? Perhaps not for another 25 years - but by then, I probably would not be able to chew on the juiceless meats.

like that still want to expand?

While I am not sure of their current standard, many many years ago before they move to current location, I had tried a few times as my office was near-by, I would say it is not as bad as descripted, but certainly way over-priced.

• Praise 4

It may not be the nicest and definitely not worth $4mil but it can't be as bad as what the food critic wrote. Surely, thousands who have eaten there can't be that wrong!!

We Singaporeans quite particular about food so our benchmark can't be that low I feel!

• Praise 10

the last time i ate was at paya lebar road where the chopper was the lady boss with the most smelly look on the face, as if i am eating for free.

will i go and eat now???

开玩笑啊。。。。。哈哈哈哈

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2