Anybody got bad experience on BTS?

Scb11980

I was banned from bring durian up to a BTS train

then had to eat the entire durian before boarding

whole week subsequently constipated

Uproar over foreigner assault at Bangkok skytrain station

An Irish school teacher, whose daughter was present at the incident, claims he was attacked by a Thai security guard who hit him on the head with a baton leaving him bleeding.

Fri, Mar 23, 2012

AsiaOne

A clash in a Bangkok skytrain station involving an Irish international school teacher has caused uproar in cyberspace, with some bloggers expressing concern that the incident might add to anti-foreigner sentiment in Bangkok.

The foreign passenger, John Behan, claimed he was attacked by a Thai security guard on March 16 for breaching a rule banning gas-filled balloons on the rail system.

The Thai security who works at the station is employed by the Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator of the skytrain.

Half of Thai bloggers who responded to the incident were sympathetic while the other half questioned the Irish man's actions.

Mr Behan had allegedly attempted to take a bunch of balloons onto the skytrain at Prompong Station when he was stopped by a security guard. He claims he was told to dump the balloons into a garbage bin before he could proceed.

The balloons were given to his seven-year-old daughter earlier in the day for graduating from kindergarten. His daughter was also present during the incident.

Due to conflicting statements from witnesses, the facts of the incident are still not clear but a video uploaded onto YouTube coupled with a blog post from the Irish man's wife have shed some light on the incident.

Refusing to dump the balloons, the passenger kicked the garbage can and tried to board the train, saying he had boarded the skytrain several times that day with the balloons.

When the security guard physically tried to stop him, the pair got into a scuffle.

According to BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama, Mr Behan argued heatedly with the security guards, pushing one in the chest and kicking the chief of the station.

In a video uploaded onto YouTube, the passenger allegedly grabbed the security guard's neck.

In self-defence, the guard hit the passenger with a scanner, said Mr Anat.

Netizen Gee Gee who says she saw the incident said, "There was a lot of blood on the floor. The foreigner returned with his friend and family and managed to force his way through.

"He was bleeding and very angry and his friend held him back from the security guard. They managed to go up the stairs and board a train heading towards Morchit."

In a blog entitled "From the heart of a mother and wife whose husband who was attacked by a BTS guard before the eyes of his child", Mr Behan's wife Patcharamas Phusri outlined her version of the incident.

"The balloons are gifts from her teachers and other parents on her graduation day. They have much sentimental value to her," Patcharamas said in the message.

"My husband, his coworkers, our daughter and my mom took the skytrain with the balloons before they ended up having problems at the Prompong station."

In her post, Patcharamas said she was not present during the confrontation, but rushed to the scene as soon as she was notified that her husband was involved in the incident.

"When I arrived, I found my husband was bleeding," she said.

She claimed the BTS security guards attacked her husband after they had already taken the balloons away.

Blogger Andrew Drummond who hosted the video and called for witness accounts on his website said that the incidents boiled down to two main issues - a foreigner breaking BTS regulations, and a then being "attacked, viciously it seems with a truncheon by a BTS security guard."

Drummond was quick to say that he does not justify the scuffle but also pointed out that attacks on foreigners were not rare and usually happens where "polite Thai society do not go".

Netizen Jack Slater speculated that the argument started before the video was taken.

"In my opinion, whatever happened before the video was taken does not justify entering the subway with the balloons. Regardless of the young Irishman's professional credentials I believed he showed poor judgment."

He added that there have been many previous incidents where passengers have been told not to bring balloons into the trains and in all those times, the people involved complied with the request.

"At no time was it reported that the people with balloons brushed by the officials, passed the turns styles, up the stairs and on to the train as depicted in this video."

BTS yesterday apologized to Mr Behan after both parties lodged complaints against each other. BTS also said it has removed the guard involved in the incident.

Mr Anat added that negligent officials who allowed Mr Behan onto the skytrain at the other stations will face a disciplinary probe.

↡ Advertisement

bloody ang moh started the physical violence against the guards. really dislike these ang mohs who think they can do what they want in an asian country because they perceive asians as meek and mild people. well, these security guards proved him wrong.

why is the SG govt still putting these people on pedestal and flattering them as if they are gods? we have seen and we know there are all kinds of ang moh, good bad ugly, but to the SG govt there are only good ang mohs.

bloody ang moh started the physical violence against the guards. really dislike these ang mohs who think they can do what they want in an asian country because they perceive asians as meek and mild people. well, these security guards proved him wrong.

why is the SG govt still putting these people on pedestal and flattering them as if they are gods? we have seen and we know there are all kinds of ang moh, good bad ugly, but to the SG govt there are only good ang mohs.

Not so much worried about the ang mohs as i am with the PRC.

durians cannot be brought to the train one mah...singapore also....

ang moh dun follow rules kena hantum ... this shows thais are more on than singaporeans...respect

Yucks..... Thai durian u eat?... :wacko: ..

i was like you initially

but according to my Thai friends

there are many type

the best is mong tong or something like that

i bought it and ate it

cost quite expensive

Ang moh no money take taxi? [rolleyes]

In BKK, BTS is more convenient and faster than taxi due to the traffic jams. Some times walking is also faster.

I once sat in a cab for 30 mins when my destination is about 3-4 blocks away. [furious]

↡ Advertisement