Car Insurance thru' Agent or self purchase ?

Scamp1

Neutral Newbie

Whats the different from buying car insurance thru agent and self purchasing it ?

More discount ?

And side track, my insurance is ending soon. so it will be my 2nd year buying insurance, but my insurance company state 0% NCD on next renewal. Why ?

Didn't make a claim on my own or other claiming me.

↡ Advertisement

Buy direct from insurance.

Terms and conditions may differ from agent.

Some insurance companies have on line quote.

If your diff is abt 50-100 i think buy from agent better la... Cos agent will try to fight your case cos he want to keep u as client. But if company, they can ask you get lost when you want to claim giving all kinds of reason, then you are not familiar on how to go about fighting your case also. But if direct is giving you 50% lesser premium, just go for it.

Neutral Newbie

Depends really, there are pros and cons be it buy from agent or insurance company. For agents, there are cases where they've pressured or hard sell the client to buy a higher package than necessary..paying more premium which means more commission for them. Personally i used DBS auto insurance and i've never had them refuse my claim before...so it's a case to case basis.

i renewed my honda accord insurance w Winner Insurance.

they quoted me the cheapest and best conditions compare w chartis, Great Eastern and Directasia.

Hi Scamp1, from my point of view the fundamental difference would be that you if you buy direct then you are not paying for the services of a third party, the agent. That then gives you the chance to save a lot of money as you are just paying for your insurance cover, and not for an extra party on top of that.

The question then might be whether you are losing anything valuable in the process of saving all this money? From our point of view I have to say that many people's experience is that an agent isn't always that strong an advocate for them at the time of making a claim. Whilst experiences vary I don't think it would be wise to assume that would be the case. I assumed it would be the case that the agent who found me my apartment to rent would therefore be interested in helping me after the sale. Unfortunately that turned out to be very naive indeed!

Again, you could argue you'll lose some impartial advice from the agent as 'consultant'. However, you might find that there's a strong vested interest in selling certain sorts of policies, and also certain levels of cover - as it's to the agents benefit that you do so.

I hope that might be of help to you - and hope you find great cover at the right price - however you choose to find it.

best regards,

Mark

Whats the different from buying car insurance thru agent and self purchasing it ?

More discount ?

And side track, my insurance is ending soon. so it will be my 2nd year buying insurance, but my insurance company state 0% NCD on next renewal. Why ?

Didn't make a claim on my own or other claiming me.

I think it's better to get it from an agent. My agent email an excel file with all the insurance data to compare, they also lightlight all the extra discount available which is not available online.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi Scamp1, from my point of view the fundamental difference would be that you if you buy direct then you are not paying for the services of a third party, the agent. That then gives you the chance to save a lot of money as you are just paying for your insurance cover, and not for an extra party on top of that.

The question then might be whether you are losing anything valuable in the process of saving all this money? From our point of view I have to say that many people's experience is that an agent isn't always that strong an advocate for them at the time of making a claim. Whilst experiences vary I don't think it would be wise to assume that would be the case. I assumed it would be the case that the agent who found me my apartment to rent would therefore be interested in helping me after the sale. Unfortunately that turned out to be very naive indeed!

Again, you could argue you'll lose some impartial advice from the agent as 'consultant'. However, you might find that there's a strong vested interest in selling certain sorts of policies, and also certain levels of cover - as it's to the agents benefit that you do so.

I hope that might be of help to you - and hope you find great cover at the right price - however you choose to find it.

best regards,

Mark

Disclaimer: I am an agent myself.

While it is true that you might save money from paying services of third agent, do note that for most cases, premium difference is due to vehicle/driver/owner risk profile rather than paying for the services of third party.

Agent may have a vested interest but in today's competitive market, we will definitely get more than 3 quotes for clients so that they can do a better comparison. Some Companies are still selling its own product. Our vested interest is definitely much lower when you are only selling one company's product.

Good service or not. It depends on the agent. Bad agents will die off naturally in the market.

For me, I will still try to drive my clients to help them to lodge reports etc.(best effort basis) Helping them to rehearse what should be said & what not be said. We are not like some companies who will "interview" those victims in a cold room & ask them alot of questions. Casually asking them what will they doing prior to the accident. If they mentioned that they are going to work.. policy is cancelled immediately if they have tick on the option that they don't use the vehicle for work.

Agents do not have the vested interest to ask company not to pay as it is during the claim process which clients believe more in us.

Edited by Shinigaimi

Turbocharged

If u are replying based on yr own point of view, u shd create a NEW nick instead of using the company directasia user id.

best regards,

Mark

Disclaimer: I am an agent myself.

While it is true that you might save money from paying services of third agent, do note that for most cases, premium difference is due to vehicle/driver/owner risk profile rather than paying for the services of third party.

Agent may have a vested interest but in today's competitive market, we will definitely get more than 3 quotes for clients so that they can do a better comparison. Some Companies are still selling its own product. Our vested interest is definitely much lower when you are only selling one company's product.

Good service or not. It depends on the agent. Bad agents will die off naturally in the market.

For me, I will still try to drive my clients to help them to lodge reports etc.(best effort basis) Helping them to rehearse what should be said & what not be said. We are not like some companies who will "interview" those victims in a cold room & ask them alot of questions. Casually asking them what will they doing prior to the accident. If they mentioned that they are going to work.. policy is cancelled immediately if they have tick on the option that they don't use the vehicle for work.

Agents do not have the vested interest to ask company not to pay as it is during the claim process which clients believe more in us.

if an agent have many clients who make claims that are approved

does that work against you

in terms of commission, access to the particular insurance company

i heard that NTUC has the hardest to claim from among the various agencies in SG