NYP student Lai Shimun posted racist remarks on Twitter

Wubb

1) Please lah. Mat is as much a slur as Thambi or Neh or Dude is! You know what is Mat Rok? Mat Yo Yo? Mat Salleh? Wah.... all slurs sial.... what utter rubbish. Next you'll be telling me the English idiom "a chink in the armour" is racist as well. Please!

Don't talk crap. Go ask a Malay (there are a few on this forum) whether they consider "Mat" a slur, especially the way you used it on yrvsport. BTW, whether Thambi or Neh are slurs depends on the context. They can be, if the intent is clearly to offend.

"Chink in the armour" is like "niggling" and "niggardly" - none of these have racist origins in their etymologies. They're liable only to offend the ignorant - but since I'm speaking to a prime ignoramus, I thought I should be crystal clear.

2) For a qualified medical doctor you do not appear to be able to read nor comprehend very well.

Getting personal, eh? Figures, since you can't match wits with me and can't actually address my points.

Please tell me which part of my post have i condoned the hurling of ethnic slurs between races, or denied the existence of such?

The implication in your post was that local Chinese were far more sinned against than sinning, as far as ethnic slurs go (since you mentioned all the slurs that non-Chinese were hurling at Chinese on online fora, but nothing that went the other way). Your assertion was that they were not offended by it, as if they are somehow above the fray.

To this, I have two points to make in reply:

1) The first, which I've already mentioned, is that Chinese makes LOTS of ethnic slurs against other races online. You just have to know where to look, and frankly, you don't have to look very far. You either did not comprehend this simple point (and you insult my comprehension!) or failed to acknowledge it because it creates a big dent in your own.

2) The second is that your assertion that the Chinese are not bothered by such comments is PATENTLY FALSE, because I can point out lots of references to forums like the Temasek review comments section and STOMP comments where presumably Chinese posters have not only evinced anger, but retaliated in kind to racial baiting. So what the hell gives you the idea that local Chinese are not offended by this sort of thing, and that only minorities seem to take umbrage? Also remember that the majority race is in a position of relative power and security - if members of said race respond less defensively to racial taunts, it's only to be expected. So your point - were it true (which it isn't) - would be moot anyway.

Which part of my post did I say that being able to insult one's own race automatically makes one a non-racist?

So what does having a "Singaporean identity" mean to you? I would say Singaporean Chinese who make racist comments against people of other races are pretty f**ked up when it comes to having a "Singaporean identity". Or do you not agree?

This is how you structured your poor excuse for an argument. I'm dissecting it out so even one of challenged intellect such as yourself can see your own mistake:

Observation: Lots of online anti-Chinese racial taunts by what you assume to be non-Chinese.

Specious (meaning complete bollocks) claim: Chinese don't seem to take offence.

Another specious claim: Indians seem to take more offence when their race is insulted.

Asinine non-sequitur and another specious overgeneralisation: Sg Chinese have distanced themselves emotionally from their PRC counterparts.

Incredibly harebrained leap of illogic: Ergo, Sg Chinese have a Singaporean identity.

Suspiciously baited non-sequitur: An ex-President of Indian ethnicity claims that there's no Singaporean identity.

Completely unsupportable conclusion: Singapore Indians haven't come as far as Singapore Chinese toward forging and internalising a Singaporean identity.

BTW, with regard to one your points in BOLD, you seem quite cocksure that the Indians this bitch was referring to are FWs. How the hell do YOU know this? Are you a mindreader? Is she your especial friend? Could it just be that you're an apologist for her views, so you're inclined to take the most lenient view thereof? Please lah, your rubbish is not fooling anyone!

Oh I see. Not from NUS Medicine, obviously. And if not from NUS Med, then I guess #1 to #5 in the list are out as well.

You clearly have just as much insight into our medical schools and NS policies as you do about race relations in Singapore and your own racism.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

[shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

If this is true & not some stunt by TRE, it just shows that people never learn on what can or cannot say or do in our multi-racial society...

Speechless...I.......I.....don't know what to say.... [shakehead]

a uni student in England was jailed for making a racist statement on a black footballer who almost drop dead during a game.

"LOL (laugh out loud). **** Muamba. He's dead!!!''.........................was what said. [shakehead]

its the same thing... isn't it?

Person A just dun like person B simple as that. She is just not politically correct.

Politicians trying to paper over the cracks by keep ppl quiet.

Drivers who cut into my lane suddenly, i also will call them fcuking a--hole regardless of race.

It's the same thing... just that now race comes into play

Different.

One has tolerance, as one respect the "offender's" right to be in the same cabin as she is.

While she has no tolerance, she feels the "offender's" don't deserve to be in the same cabin as her.

Different.

One has tolerance, as one respect the "offender's" right to be in the same cabin as she is.

While she has no tolerance, she feels the "offender's" don't deserve to be in the same cabin as her.

why need to tolerate when you dun like something?

some kaopeh on the spot.

some kaopeh on the net.

some move away.

all doing the same thing... expressing their feelings

Edited by Ngck

eh thambi....you say oni those have BO? Have u gotten whiff of those CHINA ones?? Pheeeewwwww....Even at Blk9 SGH, we need to give N95 masks to our corpses [laugh][laugh][laugh]

summore with the armpit hair....walau....Lactobaccilus culture....free YAKULT [:p]

Hi RadX, you're working in SGH too? :o

Actually if you go TOC and Temasek Review FB pages, got many Malays and Indians openly racist against Ah Tiongs, using words like f--king chinks, rucking tiongs, f--king chinamen and cina babi and stuff like that. The local Chinese in those FB are not bothered by it though. No police report made so far despite ahtiong chink babi comments made every single day 24/7.

So why should Lai Shimun's "f--king Indians" comment get her hauled up? Because obviously, the local Indians ARE bothered by it, even though the "Indians" Lai was referring to are obviously the foreign type who worked sweaty smelly manual labour. [laugh]

So can i say that the Singaporean Chinese have totally discharged any ethnic connection with the PRC Chinese, hence affirming the existence of a Singaporean Identity that Nathan claimed did not exist.

The Singaporean Indians though, may still have some way to go.

What about the Singaporean Malays?

so r u trying to say Chinese is more generous, big hearted and cool?? :D

why need to tolerate when you dun like something?

some kaopeh on the spot.

some kaopeh on the net.

some move away.

all doing the same thing... expressing their feelings

No problem with expressing feeling. Just don't have to scold and insult. No one deserve to be scolded for being themselves. I'm sure most of us can express unhappiness without the need to scold and insult.

Edited by Ender

Hi RadX, you're working in SGH too? :o

Hur... :blink: Radx with SGH? No lar. he's from IMH , staying at Buangkok Green Villa

[laugh][smash][smash][laugh]

Edited by Picnic06

Turbocharged

this is what happened recently in UK

A student who mocked Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba on Twitter after he collapsed at White Hart Lane was jailed on Tuesday for inciting racial hatred.

Liam Stacey, 21, provoked revulsion with comments made while Muamba still lay on the pitch after suffering a cardiac arrest during Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final with Tottenham on March 17.

Police were inundated with complaints as members of the public reported the student's comments. Stacey, a Swansea University biology undergraduate, was quickly tracked down and arrested.

Last week he admitted inciting racial hatred when he appeared briefly at Swansea Magistrates' Court and on Tuesday he was jailed for 56 days at the same court.

The first of Stacey's messages began with "LOL (laugh out loud). **** Muamba. He's dead!!!''

A number of people took him to task for his views and he responded with a further string of offensive comments aimed at other Twitter users.

Stacey was close to tears during his appearance before magistrates last week.

Muamba's recovery since suffering a cardiac arrest ten days ago has been described as "miraculous". He remains in intensive care in hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable.

no... local singapore born indian...

he only mixed with chinese... [laugh][laugh]

Wondering whose gene is the main contributor for the racism... [laugh]

Din know ang mos also so particular about the sensitive racial thingy which is good.

But being a realist, I would admit brainless clowns will continue to spout such nonsense in the future.

Just hope the round of condemnation then will be just as robust as what is being displayed today and the idiot faces the music & kena jialat jialat.

正所谓病从口出,祸从口出。

切记,切记。

this is what happened recently in UK

A student who mocked Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba on Twitter after he collapsed at White Hart Lane was jailed on Tuesday for inciting racial hatred.

Liam Stacey, 21, provoked revulsion with comments made while Muamba still lay on the pitch after suffering a cardiac arrest during Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final with Tottenham on March 17.

Police were inundated with complaints as members of the public reported the student's comments. Stacey, a Swansea University biology undergraduate, was quickly tracked down and arrested.

Last week he admitted inciting racial hatred when he appeared briefly at Swansea Magistrates' Court and on Tuesday he was jailed for 56 days at the same court.

The first of Stacey's messages began with "LOL (laugh out loud). **** Muamba. He's dead!!!''

A number of people took him to task for his views and he responded with a further string of offensive comments aimed at other Twitter users.

Stacey was close to tears during his appearance before magistrates last week.

Muamba's recovery since suffering a cardiac arrest ten days ago has been described as "miraculous". He remains in intensive care in hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable.

Hur... :blink: Radx with SGH? No lar. he's from IMH , staying at Buangkok Green Villa

<_<<_< I am sooooo tempted....but naaah, be kind to animal [:p]