Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1163 replies to this topic | 482 praises

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:28 AM

Slim
  • Slim
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

given the wet wet weather we have been having, i too have had a few close shaves sweatdrop.gif but me wife and myself have been having this little argument...wonder if anyone here can shed some light on the matter

are we suppose to switch on the hazard lights when driving in heavy rainfall? i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... unimpressed.gif )

my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)? confused.gif

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:52 AM

Guyver
  • Premium member
    Guyver
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Rule no 1 : The woman is always right.

Argue with woman... sweatdrop.gif lipsrsealed.gif lipsrsealed.gif

She's right... and u are not wrong... next time.. just ask her... "who's the one paying for the installment, decides."..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Switching on the hazard lights enable other drivers to be able to know your car boundaries.... as for signalling... on a heavy downpour days... most drivers would be more careful... so even if u don't signal... think it's quite ok.
"I rather be disliked by people for who I really am, than to be liked by people for who I am not."

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:55 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

"...i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... ) ....."

In some cars, the signal overrides the hazard indicators...ie, u signal with the hazards on, only the signalling indicator blinks

and NEVER NEVER drive with the hazard indicators on...bluddy helll where did they learn this...like X'mas lights...at most, on ur fogs!! FRONT (rear maybe) only!!!

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:58 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

U are correct n your wifey is wrong. Hazard lights shld NEVER be switched on when car is still moving. I guess the misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:58 AM

Guyver
  • Premium member
    Guyver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wah!! then u'll have serious re-education to do man... better ask him his wife learn from where.. and ask them why they teach the new driver this.... dizzy.gif
"I rather be disliked by people for who I really am, than to be liked by people for who I am not."

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

"....misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane. "

The skool of hogs ah...

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

Acemundo
  • Premium member
    Acemundo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i tend to agree with radx.......quite ridiculous practice.

the lights and rear fog lamps are therefor this purpose.

some taxi drivers also have a decadent practice of signalling right on the eway to indicate to the driver in front to let him overtake.......no sure whether this is also a standard practice cos i was nvr taught abtthis when learning driving.

Yttrium
  • Yttrium
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I was not aware that they are now teaching this in driving schools... I wasn't taught to do that. To me hazard lights should be used when the car brakes down or has to stop by the side of the road in an emergency. I don't seewhat good turning it on in the rain does... If the rear lights are on I think that's sufficient for other drivers to see you, turning it on might confuse other drivers as to your intentions. I have seen one guy turn on his hazard lights.. and then proceed to change from the extreme right to the extreme left lane on bukit timah rd

Edited by Yttrium, 26 January 2004 - 11:11 AM.

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

"...my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)? ..."

Nowadays wid these softies...even RAIN is a hazard....

The other day, witnessed a 7-car pileup, and I switched on hazards, parked behind the PILE and got down to assist...lukki no one hurt.,..jus dazed liao....

...see...THIS is what a hazard light is for....duh!!!

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:02 AM

Yttrium
  • Yttrium
    6th Gear
    Author Image

This I learnt from drivers on the NS highway

I have not seen taxis do it.. but I have done it to taxis and other road hogs..

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:03 AM

Guyver
  • Premium member
    Guyver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Next time we might see private car having lights all around... like Chingay procession...... laugh.gif laugh.gif ... confirm safe...

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:04 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

"....like Chingay procession...... ... confirm safe... .."

CNY and hari raya oso the car will be decorated...

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:05 AM

Lordgt
  • Lordgt
    4th Gear
    Author Image

given the wet wet weather we have been having, i too have had a few close shaves but me wife and myself have been having this little argument...wonder if anyone here can shed some light on the matter

are we suppose to switch on the hazard lights when driving in heavy rainfall? i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... )

my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)?

I don't think its right to switch on the hazard lights. It usually sends off the wrong signal and there isn't really much one can tell if he is slowing or is he juz coming to a halt if there is an accident infront.

I usually switch on my rear fogs to allow better visibility to the drivers behind when in heavy down pour. The splashes and water mist that comes off the tyre would usually blur the light emission, thus the use of rear fogs.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:06 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

that's why i keep saying, bloody TPs muz come out and do a major public re-education blitz. the level of ignorance of drivers on SG roads is appalling.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:10 AM

Madarmour
  • Madarmour
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I always thought hazard lights is for vehicle breakdown in an area where it may be a danger to other road user.

I'm not into switching the hazard light when it rains as it may give the wrong impression to other users. Switching on the mainlights will be enough and if really kiasu, the rear fog lights can be switch on too.

Henry Ford once said: “Whenever I see an Alfa Romeo, I raise my hat?

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

Acemundo
  • Premium member
    Acemundo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hehe...so it seems some practice are taught while others are perpetrated to the extent it seemed taught.

but in sg seems like not useful leh. very few road hogs obey the right signal.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

Lordgt
  • Lordgt
    4th Gear
    Author Image

U are correct n your wifey is wrong. Hazard lights shld NEVER be switched on when car is still moving. I guess the misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane.

Yup!! The same school that produces drivers that slams on the brakes when they 'THINK' you're too close, oh don't have the balls to overtake a lorry when on a dual carriage road. Last but not least, Hoggsters that simply won't move even when honk till their windows shatters.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:12 AM

Yttrium
  • Yttrium
    6th Gear
    Author Image

During the last few rainy days I've seen another category of nuisance drivers.. Those who drive with their high beam on... it's especially irritating when its raining!

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:13 AM

Yttrium
  • Yttrium
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I've tried it a few times and it worked... probably less intimidating than flashing high beams.. some ppl just buay song and refuse to budge

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:14 AM

Lordgt
  • Lordgt
    4th Gear
    Author Image

the usual signal i get from a consistent hoggster is a middle finger. Tell me about driving school, I really wonder if the instructors there are from the underworld.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: switch, hazard, lights, while and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users