Do not switch on hazard lights while driving in the rain

Slim

Neutral Newbie

given the wet wet weather we have been having, i too have had a few close shaves [sweatdrop] but me wife and myself have been having this little argument...wonder if anyone here can shed some light on the matter

are we suppose to switch on the hazard lights when driving in heavy rainfall? i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... [:|] )

my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)? [confused]

↡ Advertisement

Rule no 1 : The woman is always right.

Argue with woman... [sweatdrop][lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

She's right... and u are not wrong... next time.. just ask her... "who's the one paying for the installment, decides."..... [laugh][laugh]

Switching on the hazard lights enable other drivers to be able to know your car boundaries.... as for signalling... on a heavy downpour days... most drivers would be more careful... so even if u don't signal... think it's quite ok.

"...i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... unimpressed.gif ) ....."

In some cars, the signal overrides the hazard indicators...nod.gifnod.gifie, u signal with the hazards on, only the signalling indicator blinks

and NEVER NEVER drive with the hazard indicators on...bluddy helll where did they learn this...like X'mas lights...at most, on ur fogs!! FRONT (rear maybe) only!!!

U are correct n your wifey is wrong. Hazard lights shld NEVER be switched on when car is still moving. shakehead.gif I guess the misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane.

Wah!! then u'll have serious re-education to do man... better ask him his wife learn from where.. and ask them why they teach the new driver this.... [dizzy]

"....misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane. "

The skool of hogs ah...sweatdrop.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.gif

i tend to agree with radx.......quite ridiculous practice.

the lights and rear fog lamps are therefor this purpose.

some taxi drivers also have a decadent practice of signalling right on the eway to indicate to the driver in front to let him overtake.......no sure whether this is also a standard practice cos i was nvr taught abtthis when learning driving.

Neutral Newbie

I was not aware that they are now teaching this in driving schools... I wasn't taught to do that. To me hazard lights should be used when the car brakes down or has to stop by the side of the road in an emergency. I don't seewhat good turning it on in the rain does... If the rear lights are on I think that's sufficient for other drivers to see you, turning it on might confuse other drivers as to your intentions. I have seen one guy turn on his hazard lights.. and then proceed to change from the extreme right to the extreme left lane on bukit timah rd confused.giffurious.giffurious.gif

Edited by Yttrium

"...my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)? confused.gif ..."

Nowadays wid these softies...even RAIN is a hazard....furious.giffurious.gif

The other day, witnessed a 7-car pileup, and I switched on hazards, parked behind the PILE and got down to assist...lukki no one hurt.,..jus dazed liao....

...see...THIS is what a hazard light is for....duh!!!sly.gif

"....like Chingay procession...... laugh.giflaugh.gif ... confirm safe... .."

laugh.giflaugh.gifCNY and hari raya oso the car will be decorated...rolleyes.gif

Neutral Newbie
given the wet wet weather we have been having, i too have had a few close shaves sweatdrop.gif but me wife and myself have been having this little argument...wonder if anyone here can shed some light on the matter

are we suppose to switch on the hazard lights when driving in heavy rainfall? i personnaly think it is quite dangerous cos then no way to indicate drivers turning indication...(but then again maybe these drivers don't even use turn signals sigh... unimpressed.gif )

my wife says it is taught in driving schools? what is the reason for this then (if true)? confused.gif

I don't think its right to switch on the hazard lights. It usually sends off the wrong signal and there isn't really much one can tell if he is slowing or is he juz coming to a halt if there is an accident infront.

I usually switch on my rear fogs to allow better visibility to the drivers behind when in heavy down pour. The splashes and water mist that comes off the tyre would usually blur the light emission, thus the use of rear fogs.

that's why i keep saying, bloody TPs muz come out and do a major public re-education blitz. unimpressed.gif the level of ignorance of drivers on SG roads is appalling.thumbsdown.gif

I always thought hazard lights is for vehicle breakdown in an area where it may be a danger to other road user.

I'm not into switching the hazard light when it rains as it may give the wrong impression to other users. Switching on the mainlights will be enough and if really kiasu, the rear fog lights can be switch on too.

hehe...so it seems some practice are taught while others are perpetrated to the extent it seemed taught.

but in sg seems like not useful leh. very few road hogs obey the right signal.

Neutral Newbie
U are correct n your wifey is wrong. Hazard lights shld NEVER be switched on when car is still moving. shakehead.gif I guess the misinformation is probably from the same screwed up driving schools that teaches ppl to not exceed 90kmh even on the overtaking lane.

Yup!! The same school that produces drivers that slams on the brakes when they 'THINK' you're too close, oh don't have the balls to overtake a lorry when on a dual carriage road. Last but not least, Hoggsters that simply won't move even when honk till their windows shatters.

Neutral Newbie

During the last few rainy days I've seen another category of nuisance drivers.. Those who drive with their high beam on... it's especially irritating when its raining! mad.gif

↡ Advertisement