Alternator repair

Remixes

As mention..my car got this vibrating grinding sound near alternator belt area.I was wondering is the alternator up the lorry.It is getting irritating noiser each day.I just went to a mechanic at sin ming he use a long screwdriver and listen at the holder and told me alternator bearing and stator maybe worn up and he quoted me around $2XX!!!.he told me his lobang do not this alternator as it is out of stock.

Anyone can recommend workshops?i m using the alternator similar to toyota rush. Any good advices

Thank you kam sia!!!

In the spirit of sharing...........here goes.......

I had the same problem a few years back. delayed the repair until my battery ran out of juice.

here's what I did. I ripped out the alternator, went to an alternator reconshop. replaced the carbon brushes and bearings (some alternators need their rectifiers replaced too).

alternator came back like new. please understand that alternators are robust eqmt. the only parts that need maintenance are what I've mentioned. so don't get conned by these local lousy unproductive ripoff shops that quote you hundreds.

get your elbows dirt and it will just cost you about 45 dollars.

↡ Advertisement

any recommendations?? i have no idea where to change or service alternator...1st time encounter such problem.

Yeah, i am also not founding any idea to share with him, i think he should take his car to the service center.

@TS

wow good thing you didnt let that ripp-off of a mechanic screw you around. as far as alternators are concerened, there are a lot off decent shops out there where you could get yours fixed. just gotta look a little more :D

Not all workshop can handle Alternator svc. Most will take the easy and most profitable way out by recommending new Alternator.

While it is still in 'working condition, go to a Alternator/starter workshop.

Neutral Newbie

Went to a workshop at Gey lor 39, was told <100 for repair and he will need 2 hrs...He ask me to check water pump 1st. If problem is due to alternator, the noise will be consistent throughout and not just the morning cold start period.

Neutral Newbie

there's a company called Lion City. The last i know was they were in Alexandra village area. Have not been there for years...so no idea if they are still there. they do servicing for alternators, sell recon units or new units...

One of the founder Mr Chen is an expert in auto electrical services and repairs , he and his team use to do repair on luxury cars like Jaguar, Bentley ,RR and Volvo. He has since retired for more than 15yrs and has completely sold his company. I am not sure about the new owner and his team.

If you want to have very cheap service on alternators and starters , try this guy -visit his facebook.

post-272-1346322230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Neutral Newbie

One of the founder Mr Chen is an expert in auto electrical services and repairs , he and his team use to do repair on luxury cars like Jaguar, Bentley ,RR and Volvo. He has since retired for more than 15yrs and has completely sold his company. I am not sure about the new owner and his team.

i thought the owner was 'Lion' Tan? i last bought an alternator from him in 2002. yes...they do the outsourcing repair for a number of ADs.

i thought the owner was 'Lion' Tan? i last bought an alternator from him in 2002. yes...they do the outsourcing repair for a number of ADs.

This company I believe starts in the early 1970. Chen sold the company to Tan.

HI TS, rush is sharing the same engine as malaysia avanza, myvi 1.5 and alza. So should be using the same alternator, if you are familar with the malaysia, they can easily just overhaul/change the bearings and the carbon brush on ur alternator for you, cost around 50 to 100 rm. i got one spare part shop you might want to see if they had recon alternator. Tiong bee Auto 63365008.

Last time recon is just bearings n brushs.

Now most hv a circuitboard also.

Better get them to chk this as it controls e amt of charging.

Changing of alternator can try this ws in AMK ind pk 2. The boss hp# is 98226698. They do recon alternator at very reasonable price. A lot of ws take recon set from them. They have a lot of other make recon alternator around to change. Call to check price for your car model. Cheers

There is this shop at Simpang Bedok selling batteries and alternator. Price is ok...he sells parts only no installation. I check with him on mine and was cheaper...

My WS charged me $500+ and he quoted $300+...

If you wanna go...I dun have the shop add...

The shop is located furthest from 7-11. There is 2 entrance into Simpang Bedok...go in from the one without the 7-11...the shop would be on your right. Its just 1-2 shops from the entrance. Shop front has a lot of battery one.

My car was having intermittent cranking problem and battery light, and went to have my car checked at autosaver. The mechanic took a meter and connect to the battery terminals. It reads 12.4V idle and told me the alternator is spoilt. Good alternator should read above 13v and want me to replace it.

I asked him he should connect DIRECTLY to the alternator terminals and not the battery terminals since there could be electrical issues. He told me if the alternator is working they will replace back the alternator. I argue with him why should I change a new alternator if my current one is alright. This waste my time and not fix the problem.

Appalled by them i went back home to do a voltage drop test with my multimeter. Connecting to the battery negative terminal and the car chassis when idle, my multimeter read 300mV drop. It is an electrical problem (the voltage drop must be below 100mV), and also check the battery positive terminal by connecting to the alternator fuse in the fuse box and read only 50mV(the voltage drop must be below 100mV). So there was a bad connection in the negative electrical terminal.

I drove to Kian Teong Auto centre #01-08 at Sin Ming autocare. I told them to check the alternator and the mechanic took the meter and connected DIRECTLY to the alternator terminals, FINALLY someone who know how to check alternator! The reading is 13.5V and told me the alternator works great and he needs time to find the electrical issue. I came back in 2 hrs and he replace the negative battery terminal and wiring.

If you didnt read the whole text, it is simply DO not condemn the alternator immediately, always assume there is electrical issue before changing it. Do a simple voltage drop test above and connect directly to the alternator terminals to check voltage. You could end up spending $500-900 for nothing than a $50 battery terminal issue. eek.gif

Neutral Newbie

South East Battery Service Pte Ltd

Office: 12N Enterprise Road, Singapore 627693

Office:+65 6466 0155 | Fax: +65 6467 0884

They provide repair services for starters, alternators, aircon repair etc at reasonable price. They also keep stock for new alternators and starters.

↡ Advertisement