Good teochew porridge reasonably priced

Hermit

You mean the Ah Li San something? That one is very expensive.... [knife] ...the one called Heng Long is better..

阿里山 is Taiwanese porridge..i think Chrispie means Ah Seah teochew porridge

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

i used to patronise a teochew muay shop at Perak Street called Hup Long or Hup Leong. They shifted to a coffeeshop at Syd Alwi Road a few years ago and disappeared soon after.

Hi folks,

Any recommendation for those good, old teochew porridge at coffee shop-

Preferably in the west? 24 hr would be a bonus..

Only know of a particular one at toh guan but it stopped selling recently..

TIA!

Try the one at beauty world top floor food court. Very cheap and good, you won't believe the price one.

阿里山 is Taiwanese porridge..i think Chrispie means Ah Seah teochew porridge

frankly...阿里山 their dishes are nothing taiwanese style...so it not much diff to Teochew porridge..

I thought this one is free?

Nothing is free except for the air you inhale.

There's no such thing as free breakfast, free lunch, free dinner or free supper.

Don't be daft. [laugh][laugh]

Ah seah no more nice..they employ prc cook n quite salty too n price up too..

Now their price are abt 7-9/per person..used to be 3-5/per person..

I eat at 长城什菜反 oso not so ex somemore can order my all time favourite curry fish head

frankly...阿里山 their dishes are nothing taiwanese style...so it not much diff to Teochew porridge..

the difference is there..the 1st is the sweet potato porridge vs normal porridge..next dramatic difference is the teochew braised duck vs the taiwanese braised duck..the softness and braised sauce is very different..teochew braised pork is darker and uses more soy sauce whereas the taiwanese version is brownish and taste less of soy sauce..granted some dishes are similar like the salted radish fried egg and the salted eggs..there are more examples but these are the ones i could remember at the moment

Neutral Newbie

Kovan no more...Ah Seah has moved to Teck Chye Terrace, opposite Paya Lebar Methodist Church.

However, there are 2 along Upp Serangoon Road...kinda diagonally opposite the infamous Punggol Nasi Lemak stall. The 2 stalls are directly opposite Lim Ah Pin Road. Try the corner stall (can't remember the name) which has a good variety, but definitely not Alisan (expensive).

Try the one at beauty world top floor food court. Very cheap and good, you won't believe the price one.

I only eat the Tze Char with open air seating (for Curry fish head, i think)..

Will look out for Teochew porridge.. Thanks.

Is closer to the Korean restaurant side? Never seen this stall when i was there. :wacko:

the difference is there..the 1st is the sweet potato porridge vs normal porridge..next dramatic difference is the teochew braised duck vs the taiwanese braised duck..the softness and braised sauce is very different..teochew braised pork is darker and uses more soy sauce whereas the taiwanese version is brownish and taste less of soy sauce..granted some dishes are similar like the salted radish fried egg and the salted eggs..there are more examples but these are the ones i could remember at the moment

I will say that it is localized taiwanese porridge... [laugh]

I got 2 recommendations. Both in hawker centre.

One is too payoh lor 8 market. V old school type. Been there for decades. Not expensive with wide range

Second one is boon lay hawker centre. Level 2, I think. Old school type also.