What if COE system was not introduced in Singapore?

Astrid

This could have been what Singapore roads would have become, if not for the COE system.

So who suffers? You, I and everyone else ...

Majulah PAP!!! They did the RIGHT thing. [wave]

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg...w_its_like.html

Let's talk about the need and means to move people, regardless it's cars or buses/trains.

To prevent a city's being choked up due to population growth, a good govt will improve public transport system in advance to cope and make it a viable alternative form of transport before things get seriously jammed up. Has PAP done enough in the past to achieve this?

Your question is just an attempt to justify an half-baked solution eg COE/ERF which does not really fully address the problem of inadequate public transport system.......

How about raising school fees 100 times or adopt bidding system for a place in school when there are not enough schools to cope with the number of students??

Yes! They did everything RIGHT

Singapore Traffic Jam...

nicoll-jam-lynac.jpg

Singapore Bus Stop Jam

mrt_breakdown_transport_chaos-thumbnail.jpg

Singapore MRT Jam

look_at_the_crowd_at_circle_line_station-thumbnail.jpg

This could have been what Singapore roads would have become, if not for the COE system.

U shallow lah.

the whole World is in overpopulation growth mode.

if we follow blindly,just to up GDP....we are no way near exceptional,which our govt pride itself.

optimal level is best.

but it seems they are too on numbers n greedy. :huh:

i still felt is either u preserve till the end or simply just gave up.

so why still the system whereby it is already inside ourselves?

just like i gave up going to orchard many years back, unless i got business to do or attend if not don't even bother to squeeze in with the foreigners.

waste of time and there are many places to hang around other than orchard road.

U shallow lah.

the whole World is in overpopulation growth mode.

if we follow blindly,just to up GDP....we are no way near exceptional,which our govt pride itself.

optimal level is best.

but it seems they are too on numbers n greedy. :huh:

it will be perfect if the whole of singapore is only singaporeans. we will be more happy to move around.

for sure no complain but gabment will have no chance to squeeze or milk us

Hypersonic

We didn't pay our minsters the highest salaries in the world to make everything else expensive. If increasing the COE to make it impossible to own a car their way of a solution, then you actually have a bad government.

it will be perfect if the whole of singapore is only singaporeans. we will be more happy to move around.

Yeah, like Japan... economy stagnant for more than a decade. hdb prices low, private property also but no one dares to buy [laugh] how does that sound?

No wonder i like to go back ICT, the only time in my life that i can mix, interact and chat with all sporean

you said this could have been. what is your premise for stating so? are you able to categorically beyond doubt, prove that without the COE system, the state of affairs in private car ownership would have significantly worse off?

you can't because the only way to rigorously and satisfactorily prove me otherwise, is if you were able to go back in time prior to May 1990 and stop the COE scheme cold in its track, and you can't. period.

On the contrary, I believe that without COE, the traffic will be much smoother, if we had maintained the old system high ARF, duties and taxes for cars and loan restrictions.

Lets assume here. Whether we release 10,000 COE or 20,000 COE per year, all will be taken up and the higher the COE premium goes, the higher the buying frenzy becomes. If we have not come up with COE, maybe 9,000 cars will be sold in a year. (of course the numbers here are fictitious).

Majulah PAP!!! They did the RIGHT thing.

i'm not siding MIW or whichever.

but i think before you post this, you are already siding MIW. [laugh]

come on, other countries are facing jam but they do not need to pay high road tax, high car insurance and high COE price and yet, in Singapore, we are paying high price and still facing the jam? so? your point? [laugh]

Majulah them because they make us stuck in jam and yet we pay for high price? [laugh]

the main cause of our jam is directly due to the sudden influx of population. i think you make my day. [laugh]

see Alim's post. :D

Majulah Astrid! :D

imho, sg oso like wat TS shown in the stomp.... juz tat sg dun hav much 5 lanes road like thai, if not oso look like tat wor...

roads wider makes u feel tat cars are a lot more, in fact even wif COE sg roads are oso like tis! and oso thanks to testers who so easily pass drivers who drive like snail during rain and only know how to hog...

Whoever says that we are not bad because we are better than others is either plain lazy, or worse, simply has no idea how to improve things.

Turbocharged

Let's talk about the need and means to move people, regardless it's cars or buses/trains.

To prevent a city's being choked up due to population growth, a good govt will improve public transport system in advance to cope and make it a viable alternative form of transport before things get seriously jammed up. Has PAP done enough in the past to achieve this?

Your question is just an attempt to justify an half-baked solution eg COE/ERF which does not really fully address the problem of inadequate public transport system.......

How about raising school fees 100 times or adopt bidding system for a place in school when there are not enough schools to cope with the number of students??

better still, have COE for housing also [laugh] [laugh]

the COV no count [laugh] [laugh]

yes...and ERP now is simply too cheap now...from north to town...the toll should be at least SGD100!!! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh][sleeping] [sleeping] [sleeping]

Yeah, like Japan... economy stagnant for more than a decade. hdb prices low, private property also but no one dares to buy [laugh] how does that sound?

this 1 confirm 100% support by every singaporeans. [grouphug]

↡ Advertisement