Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86

S7rik3R

Cat B COE drop but BRZ still same price! Wat logic

Free market .... bro, can consider PI. BRZ recently kenna CEVS. Edited by ECONOMIC

Twincharged
(edited)

Anyone know why Borneo Motors stop bringing in the Toyota 86?? [drivingcar]

probably Tough to sell. Took a long time to clear stock Edited by Mkl22

Supersonic

Coz the Camry unker and aunties comprain?

Supersonic

I think on indent basis.

VES is probably another factor it can't sell. 

I think on indent basis.

VES is probably another factor it can't sell.

Ive checked. Cant even indent.

Coz the Camry unker and aunties comprain?

Complain wat?

(edited)

Time flies, the first sgcarmart review I saw listed below (on desktop browser) is a complaint about slow delivery...

In the meantime wanted to share the new Supra Concept just launched at Geneva. Road version should be launched at NY, selling either end 2018 or 2019.

post-151638-0-07790000-1520352823_thumb.jpg
post-151638-0-09837200-1520352831_thumb.jpg

86/BRZ fans, Toyota is still keen on building the successor. As the Supra is shared platform with Z4, some rumours say Toyota still deciding whether to partner with Subaru again, or try a collab with BMW this time. Even Mazda collab is possible as they have signed MOU.

Cheers :)

Edited by Gemmoglock

Time flies, the first sgcarmart review I saw listed below (on desktop browser) is a complaint about slow delivery...

In the meantime wanted to share the new Supra Concept just launched at Geneva. Road version should be launched at NY, selling either end 2018 or 2019.

20180306_01_01_s.jpg

20180306_01_22_s.jpg

86/BRZ fans, Toyota is still keen on building the successor. As the Supra is shared platform with Z4, some rumours say Toyota still deciding whether to partner with Subaru again, or try a collab with BMW this time. Even Mazda collab is possible as they have signed MOU.

Cheers :)

Wats the indicative price?

(edited)

Wats the indicative price?

Haha I avoided the hardest question but since you asked let's try to guess.

DISCLAIMER: I am hopeless at calculating SG price after COE, ARF etc etc so I will use the likely USA price. Any helpful MCFer that can help estimate SG price appreciated! OR because I included BMW Z4 pricing you can try to estimate from Z4 singapore price :) Z4 chosen because shared platform with Supra, so very likely pricing will be benchmarked $XXX cheaper than Z4

BMW Z4 28i 2.0 turbo: 50k USD/ 270k SGD

BMW Z4 35i 3.0 turbo (high spec): 66k USD/ 343k SGD

Subaru BRZ/Toyota 96 high spec: 30k USD/ 134k SGD (because base Supra likely to benchmark BRZ/86 and mark up $XXX)

COE price at 50k SGD during Jun 2016 (BMW Z4), 40k for Subaru BRZ

Currently, online forums like supramkv.com suggest about 35-40k USD for 2.0 turbo base, 45-50k USD for 3.0 turbo high spec. They think won't be so cheap because when MkIV came out, it was relatively pricey for its time also.

So based on my estimates (MCFers who know how to calculate tax please advise), it looks like:

Supra 2.0 turbo base model: 190-220k SGD

Supra 3.0 turbo top model:  240-270k SGD

Looks like it won't be cheap :(

Something cheaper will be the new Auris. Toyota launched a new hybrid system 2.0 hybrid, system total 180hp compared to 122hp in current new Prius. Not sure if BM will carry, and whether 180hp hybrid is as sporty as Toyota claims at Geneva show.

post-151638-0-26357400-1520428065.jpg

post-151638-0-27200200-1520428073.jpg

Edited by Gemmoglock

Supersonic

So based on my estimates (MCFers who know how to calculate tax please advise), it looks like:

Supra 2.0 turbo base model: 190-220k SGD

Supra 3.0 turbo top model:  240-270k SGD

I don't think would be this low.

Probably looking from at least 300k SGD onwards.

(edited)

I don't think would be this low.

Probably looking from at least 300k SGD onwards.

Ya man.. how to sell in sg? Edited by Seahian

Supersonic

Ya man.. how to sell?

It's not meant to be a volume seller but for niche buyers like those who bought the GTR, NSX, etc.

Quite an interesting read at https://www.caradvice.com.au/628826/2019-toyota-supra-the-inside-story/

It wasn’t all smooth sailing. Tada admits working with BMW was very different to working with Subaru on the 86 and BRZ project.

“[it was] difficult for both companies because we had different styles for how we make cars. It’s really that the development process between the two companies are quite strikingly different.

“I can give you one example: the 86 and BRZ – you know about this sports car now – the reason why we decided to jointly develop 86 and BRZ with Subaru was because, as you well know, sports cars are extremely difficult in terms of business case, special parts, investment… yet [they] doesn’t sell much.

“So then when we worked together with Subaru, the common understanding from the very beginning was that it was a given that we would seek out as much common parts as possible, the only differences was badge and colours.

“Other than that, we would have as many common parts as possible. We expected that BMW would have such common sense as well to seek as much common possible parts as possible [but that was not the case].

“First it was, ‘we need to determine what we need to make visually as companies, specification of different parts’ – and only if there were common parts that could be shared we would work on it together.”

Tada admits there were lessons to be learned working with BMW, in the way it prioritises dynamics and driving feel above all else.

“The most important thing we learnt from collaboration with BMW was not one particular technology,” Tada told us.

“[it] was the importance of focusing on the true nature of the car, and the true nature of the drive, rather than looking at the cost or business case when we first come up with the first initial concept of the car.”

High praise, and an insight in the differing mindsets of car companies in the development process.

“That’s how we developed this car. Obviously there are common parts between the two models, however the development process as we explained was quite different [to 86 and BRZ].

“Even if the hardware seems similar, then calibration is quite different, so each engineer from each company would calibrate differently to suit their taste.”

According to Tada, Toyota didn’t focus on beating another benchmark – the Ford Mustang or Nissan 370Z, for example – during development. That isn’t how Toyota goes about making cars.

Tada-san has been dropping hints that more powertrains will be added after initial 3.0 i6 turbo flagship launches..... :)