Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86

S7rik3R

Looking at the BRZ, it was watching a long-time dream fall flat on its face.

When Toyota and Subaru announced that they were going to come out a successor to the AE86, i was so happy and dreamt of the day i could walk in and buy one to fulfill all my JDM fantasies

But now 5 years later, when the real thing has arrived on our shores, i feel.....cheated.

I sat in it and the first thing that came to my mind was "Why is the interior so sh*t?"

The leather seats are so cheap u can see the zips behind, the radio is a big fat farking joke and there isnt any form of audio or Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. The boot space behind is super fail and you have to chop ur legs off to fit in the rear seats.

Maybe it's just me

Maybe because i've grown up and i see the car now from a different perspective

To me now, for that kind of money i'll rather top up 10K and get a Golf GTI or a Sirocco 2.0

Even the Renault Megane RS for the same price at 190K has much better stuff inside, not to mention it has more power under the hood as well

↡ Advertisement

Should not compare using price. During my father's time, the competing models are Nissan Sunny (Almera), Mit Lancer, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Subaru Impreza and Ford Laser. The Sunny (Almera) is neber lowest range and a competitor to Vios even though they downgrade to 100cc lower. Vios only has one competitator and that is the Honda City and they are the lowest range of the saloon.

you said a Toyota is never cheaper than other brands even though it is Thai made mah... honda city $120K, Vios $107K-$114K.

Supercharged

When Toyota and Subaru announced that they were going to come out a successor to the AE86, i was so happy and dreamt of the day i could walk in and buy one to fulfill all my JDM fantasies

I sat in it and the first thing that came to my mind was "Why is the interior so sh*t?"

u mean AE86 was a luxury car ah? [laugh]

go and buy Lexus lah if u wan nice interior [smash]

But now 5 years later, when the real thing has arrived on our shores, i feel.....cheated.

The leather seats are so cheap u can see the zips behind, the radio is a big fat farking joke and there isnt any form of audio or Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. The boot space behind is super fail and you have to chop ur legs off to fit in the rear seats.

Maybe it's just me

To me now, for that kind of money i'll rather top up 10K and get a Golf GTI or a Sirocco 2.0

Even the Renault Megane RS for the same price at 190K has much better stuff inside, not to mention it has more power under the hood as well

u are not the market this BRZ and GT86 is targetting

This car is definitely not meant for u. How bout a Bentley? Very slick interior.

4th Gear

You aptly summarized the discussion in one sentence.

Maybe it's just me

Yup interior seems quite a let down. Is this only for the ones in SG? The HU looks like the one I got on my vios about 6 years ago. I think being 'sports oriented' does not mean cutting down on so much trim, that is unless you are Lotus, which basically thrives on that concept.

A Megane RS at the same price? Ah, no brainer, I rather get the RS. And it's manual purely.

Wah GTI now 200k ??? Man.... Truly rich man's car... I remember a time when it was going for 89k for the "special edition"

Supersonic

The market they were targeting is no more. The COE has priced out the young ah beng marginal owner types.

Right now, these cars have NO clear market. Performance enthusiasts (myself included) are turned off by the poor power and straight-line performance. The nostalgic enthusiasts hankering after the old Hachiroku legend are mature enough to want some creature comforts, or at least good fit and finish. They're also mature enough to not want to pay this sort of premium (with the COE and completely unjustifiable markup for the MT version) for a car that lacks those features. It's likely that the only people who really want this car to the point of actually buying it are those who can ill-afford it.

(edited)

The market they were targeting is no more. The COE has priced out the young ah beng marginal owner types.

Right now, these cars have NO clear market. Performance enthusiasts (myself included) are turned off by the poor power and straight-line performance. The nostalgic enthusiasts hankering after the old Hachiroku legend are mature enough to want some creature comforts, or at least good fit and finish. They're also mature enough to not want to pay this sort of premium (with the COE and completely unjustifiable markup for the MT version) for a car that lacks those features. It's likely that the only people who really want this car to the point of actually buying it are those who can ill-afford it.

Have la.... just that not in SG only. Other countries get to enjoy. 60.1% & Good economy's fault

Edited by Mockngbrd

4th Gear

You are right.

Singapore is probably the only market that can't see this car for what it was meant for. We have too small a motorsports community for buyers to invest in this 'basic' car. Subaru has put in most of the effort in areas that buyers can't mod, like lower engine position and suspension positioning for wider stance. Hence creature comforts like ICE, rear seat space or interior materials are not it's main concerns.

We can't see it's real value - driving dynamics, because 1) we can't test drive [laugh] and 2) we are comparing with luxury makes for the same price bracket.

Sadly, even if the COE falls, the price point still doesn't make it a affordable car to "grow up with" - in the Chief Engineer's words.

(edited)

So in conclusion this car will only be a success in malaysia and other countries without COE and ARF taxes?

I think in those countries, the car buyers will have many other lower priced performances car to chose and compare with.

Surely BRZ Gt86 will not be the most cost effective car or most fun cars in other country.

The buyers overseas will surely also say can spent $1000 more to get a BMW318 or C-class or RS rather then this BRZ.

Their car price differential is smaller....to them spending a little quantum of $5000 could have gotten them a much much better car than a BRZ, unlike Simgapore where the spending a little bit more is like $10,000 to $30,000 more.

Edited by SimonTan

(edited)

Msia price is also no better than us le:

Visit My Website

msia no have 10 year lifespan

243 000 Malaysian ringgits = 99 166.2525 Singapore dollars

Ok wad... 100k i hoot.

Edited by Mockngbrd

Maybe it's just me

You simply don't appreciate the effort Subaru has made to make the BRZ a driver's car. Interior is really not the focus of a true Driver's car.

man that radio unit is sooo fail... :S

not even a aftermarket touchscreen GPS unit...

the salesppl there really like swat flies man...

HEY! That head unit looks familiar!! I think i saw it in the old Toyota previa!!

to add on, the 19" Volk Racing wheels in the pic do not come as standard. 17" comes as standard with 215/45R17 tyres.

at these prices, ALL cars in singapore are luxury cars!

↡ Advertisement