This foreigner sees another side of Singapore

KARTer

Letter from Gordon Reid

(TODAY 7 Apr 2012)

As a foreigner who has lived and worked here, I wanted to experience Singapore from an angle that did not include a theme park, shopping, entertainment or commercial experience.

Visiting one of the tourist visitor centres for ideas was an experience in itself. I asked about the outdoors and walks I could find. I was met by a confused look and was told:

↡ Advertisement

Letter from Gordon Reid

(TODAY 7 Apr 2012)

As a foreigner who has lived and worked here, I wanted to experience Singapore from an angle that did not include a theme park, shopping, entertainment or commercial experience.

Visiting one of the tourist visitor centres for ideas was an experience in itself. I asked about the outdoors and walks I could find. I was met by a confused look and was told:

Wait till he see the back alley of little india on sunday, beach road near Golden Mile on sunday, Geylang all the lorongs at night, Potong Pasir any day (oops).. First world country?? :D :D :D

I think every city has its 'dark sides'?

I will choose to relax myself going to the parks etc instead of shopping malls etc. Regarding backlanes etc you mentioned, for the purpose of spending my time, i will not include them in my intenary; for the purpose of reminding myself of the influx of outsiders crowding these place, i trust our dear miw will eventually do something about it, hopefully not too late. [:)]

Maybe its normal to have see enclaves of people from other cultures/nationality in a place like sgp where doors are wide open welcoming them, i feel if such enclaves are orgainised properly without hurting the original fabric of our society etc, let them be.

He probably spent very little as well. Not very "tourist-frenly" for our tourism industry. LOL... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

buying his bottle of drink from $2-shop?

buying his bottle of drink from $2-shop?

liddat very bad-earn leh. So, our garment must import even more foreigners to boost gdp hor. [:/]

liddat very bad-earn leh. So, our garment must import even more foreigners to boost gdp hor. [:/]

maybe gahmen can put a rule to retailers: cannot sell items below $10 to foreigners!! :o

I went to botanic garden I think in last oct, it was really quite nice, & really few people. I went also to the mount Faber for walk just march, & it was also quite nice & few people.

Singaporeans idea if a weekend usually revolve around eating outside, shopping, & watch movie.

I do these as well, but sometimes we can try other things. A visit to the museum, try out a new sport, pick up a new dish.

For a country that people keep saying no time for others or other stuff, & no money, we do a lot of shopping, buying & spending money & spend a lot of time not others would consider high value like shopping, or eat out at restaurant.

" I wanted to learn to cook this dish but I am busy" but then you see they have time for shopping & watching movies...

cant u guy see the Twist n Cynic n double talk?

he kept saying he did not see and simgaporeans and kids around the nature beauty.

only see singaporeans in air con shopping center and MRT.

we should really slow down and smell the rose.

no poin to hurry up n rush, only to earn more money to support the expensive house.

i rememer listening to 100.3 radio, there was a topic about Three biggest regrets when a person is on the dying bed. One of them is working too seriously hard and never took the time to smell the roses.

i rememer listening to 100.3 radio, there was a topic about Three biggest regrets when a person is on the dying bed. One of them is working too seriously hard and never took the time to smell the roses.

That's why the visitor tourist centre suggest to go to Botanic Gardens... so you can smell the roses... [flowerface]

So I asked about parks where I could get away from it all. I was told about East Coast Park and the Botanic Gardens. I also checked the maps and was pleasantly surprised to find some wonderful areas of peace, green space and natural life.

That's why the visitor tourist centre suggest to go to Botanic Gardens... so you can smell the roses... [flowerface]

Our dashboard should have a few roses, driving experience will become less stressful when we drive/smell them :D

I went to botanic garden I think in last oct, it was really quite nice, & really few people. I went also to the mount Faber for walk just march, & it was also quite nice & few people.

Singaporeans idea if a weekend usually revolve around eating outside, shopping, & watch movie.

I do these as well, but sometimes we can try other things. A visit to the museum, try out a new sport, pick up a new dish.

For a country that people keep saying no time for others or other stuff, & no money, we do a lot of shopping, buying & spending money & spend a lot of time not others would consider high value like shopping, or eat out at restaurant.

" I wanted to learn to cook this dish but I am busy" but then you see they have time for shopping & watching movies...

Exactly. Many corners in sgp are interesting to visit and give us fresh air free of charge. A walk in Arab street area or some old HDB estates always make me feel relaxed. [:)]

Letter from Gordon Reid

(TODAY 7 Apr 2012)

Turbocharged

what the foreigner said is true mah...

i've been to the parks at Bukit Timah, MacRitchie, Labrador, Sungei Buloh, Telok Blangah

hot but feel good after the trekking

but it's up to individual lah... majority prefers to hide in aircon shopping malls and squeeze with others

Fwar!!! This is so true! Dun forget about setting expense records for each successive natas travel and IT fairs too... [laugh]

It was incredible that I was one of the few souls in these parks

wonder which park he go to...or he go to during off peak hours??? or he go to bukit brown park?? no pple ??? no pple then the lower peirce reservoir no need build multi storey carpark and start charging money liao lor....

no pple then pple no need park road shoulder at the punggol end liao lor...

and by the way...even if we still have ulu park that no one go to...accessible by MRT or bus....what's the point??...alot of place in sillypore still ulu mah !!!

so i don't really understand what this guy or gal is trying to say ???

↡ Advertisement