Private nursing home recommendations

Littleknown

Any one has any good private nursing home to recommend?

Asking for friend.. he stays with unmarried elderly aunt who has grown old and needs one person assistance. But she relatively well educated type and she herself is keen to explore a nursing/aged home where she can meet similar likeminded people and can talk to and go do stuff like visit zoo together .. I think she feels bored at home and wants to try out an alternative arrangement.. money and fear of abandonment not a concern here..

Anyone in similar situation or know a good private nursing home which can meet these kind of needs?

Any input from social worker also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

AIC

No experience with PNH. But this is the AIC website above. There should be some links to which PNHs are nearby your friend's work or home.

She might want to consider daycare.

Church based ones if she's christian/catholic would be good.

Social activity, to be honest, most of the daycare or PNHs in Sg have enough difficulty catering to basic needs, so i wouldn't put too high an expectation on these activities.

• Praise 1

(edited)

St Luke's or Orange Valley, if not Econ.

but these are for messes although they have single bed that cost tbousand over per month. but I doubt they have programs like you mentioned, if she is able, she can join activities by some social welfare group and the home is for proper resting and someone to take care of her.

Edited by Jman888

AIC

No experience with PNH. But this is the AIC website above. There should be some links to which PNHs are nearby your friend's work or home.

She might want to consider daycare.

Church based ones if she's christian/catholic would be good.

Social activity, to be honest, most of the daycare or PNHs in Sg have enough difficulty catering to basic needs, so i wouldn't put too high an expectation on these activities.

Thanks for your reply. Daycare is an option should explore. Think my friend aunt thinking of american style retirement home kind of thing.. but locally dont have hor..

but these are for messes although they have single bed that cost tbousand over per month. but I doubt they have programs like you mentioned, if she is able, she can join activities by some social welfare group and the home is for proper resting and someone to take care of her.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any one you would recommend over another? Can try out one or not I wonder?

St luke's is a comm hospital.

Not a nursing home.

Nursing home is expensive.

If only 1 man assistance n the pt has good mental state, maid is by far cheaper. At most maid + go daycare in daytime.

St luke's is a comm hospital.

Not a nursing home.

i saw they have quiet a few centres in neighbourhood estate, which i thought they operate as nursing home too.

Turbocharged

Thanks for your reply. Daycare is an option should explore. Think my friend aunt thinking of american style retirement home kind of thing.. but locally dont have hor..

Upmarket ones will be available in future. American style retirement home is not prevalent here as affordability is one big issue for the masses.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any one you would recommend over another? Can try out one or not I wonder?

these places allowed you to recce and get to know the environment there, although nursing home is not an old folk home, the lack of activities and the routine can be quite depressing. i was advised by the nursing home operator (friend and friendly advice) try not to send them there as much as you can.

Upmarket ones will be available in future. American style retirement home is not prevalent here as affordability is one big issue for the masses.

You know of any upmarket that is in the works?

I personally think would not take off.. if rich.. just employ maid.. and attend elderly activites.. I think stay own home better.. but what do I know..

these places allowed you to recce and get to know the environment there, although nursing home is not an old folk home, the lack of activities and the routine can be quite depressing. i was advised by the nursing home operator (friend and friendly advice) try not to send them there as much as you can.

Old folk home? actually not on our radar!.. not same as nursing home??

i saw they have quiet a few centres in neighbourhood estate, which i thought they operate as nursing home too.

that's SLEC - st luke's eldercare

They do day rehab and day care there.

Nursing home is the last resort.

Once u go nursing home, the morbidity and mortality of these patients increase. It's a known fact.

That's y all the eldercare people keep telling everyone to "dong" at home 1st!

Turbocharged

You know of any upmarket that is in the works?

I personally think would not take off.. if rich.. just employ maid.. and attend elderly activites.. I think stay own home better.. but what do I know..

Yes agreed. It can double as medical suites where foreigners visiting Singapore for treatment can stay. Far East is already doing it.

@Ysc3, what you want to know about nursing home in Singapore? We recently place our dad (fully bed bound) at one of the nursing home operated by NTUC, which qualify for government subsidies.

As far as I know, if you want to enjoy subsidize rate, you have to get referrer from any of the government hospital or via AIC (Agency for Integrated Care).

I can share more details with you. PM me if you want to take the discussion offline.

• Praise 6

@Ysc3, what you want to know about nursing home in Singapore? We recently place our dad (fully bed bound) at one of the nursing home operated by NTUC, which qualify for government subsidies.

As far as I know, if you want to enjoy subsidize rate, you have to get referrer from any of the government hospital or via AIC (Agency for Integrated Care).

I can share more details with you. PM me if you want to take the discussion offline.

MOH will do means testing to determine if you get any subsidy. Unfortunately, for my mum, she is not entitled to any. So when we put my mum, who is totally bed bound and requires tube feeding, in a nursing home, it is full rate.

We used UMC @ Toa Payoh. Got professional nurses 24/7 and doctor visits once a month. Overall I find them ok. Just the restricted visiting hours I dont like. They have very rigid visting hours and they lock their main gates. We are paying $3k+/month for a bed in a six bedder. Around $1k on top for milk and other miscellaneous. So total around $4k+/month.

http://www.unitedmedicare.com.sg/facilities/toa-payoh/

↡ Advertisement