Not taught back in school - Packaging Work Effort

Espresso

Neutral Newbie

I learnt this the hard way. Packaging of work effort is very important. It's not enough being an excellent worker...it's more important how you package it. I wasted much of my youth (20s to 30 yr old) thinking that so long as I did a good job, I will be recognized.

It can't be further from reality.

What I learnt and apply constantly (with some level of success) is if you are doing a piece of work....you need to show...

1. What is the business rationale behind your work. What problems are you solving and why it is so important. In short I need to identify business stakeholders. I don't waste my time on work if there is no clear business stakeholders or business stakeholders that matters.

2. What are the various steps you take. Always talking about what are my strategy...what are the tactics taken. Never confuse strategy with tactics. Tactics can fail...but strategy should not. Who comes up with Strategy? Me. Who execute the tactics? My directs or vendors. You get the drift i hope.

3. What is the positive impact to business as a result of the steps you undertaken

And I make sure end of the day, my direct boss looks very good as he/she present it to higher up.

I heard some of the younger folks complaining about how their managers only know how to talk. Well guys, it's a very important skill if you wanna move up the ladder. I wish someone told me this when I was younger.

Ok...just a friday rant :D

Edited by Espresso
↡ Advertisement

I learnt this the hard way. Packaging of work effort is very important. It's not enough being an excellent worker...it's more important how you package it. I wasted much of my youth (20s to 30 yr old) thinking that so long as I did a good job, I will be recognized.

What I learnt and apply constantly (with some level of success) is if you are doing a piece of work....you need to show...

1. What is the business rationale behind your work. What problems are you solving and why it is so important

2. What are the various steps you take

3. What is the positive impact to business as a result of the steps you undertaken

And I make sure end of the day, my direct boss looks very good as he/she present it to higher up.

I heard some of the younger folks complaining about how their managers only know how to talk. Well guys, it's a very important skill if you wanna move up the ladder. I wish someone told me this when I was younger.

As the Rock would say,"Know your role & shut your mouth, Jabroni".

Managers manage and workers work mah. If managers work dan workers can balik kampong. Managers most likely been there done that, when he talks do ppl really listen? Apparently everyone thinks he/she is something else.

As the Rock would say,"Know your role & shut your mouth, Jabroni". :D

Edited by Watwheels

1. What is the business rationale behind your work. What problems are you solving and why it is so important

2. What are the various steps you take

One Word - WAYANG -_-

Neutral Newbie

Managers manage and workers work mah. If managers work dan workers can balik kampong. Managers most likely been there done that, when he talks do ppl really listen? Apparently everyone thinks he/she is something else.

My experience is mostly with Global renowned MNCs. It doesnt take long to spot managers who do not know what they are talking about (never been there done that) and such managers generally do not last long.

My experience is mostly with Global renowned MNCs. It doesnt take long to spot managers who do not know what they are talking about (never been there done that) and such managers generally do not last long.

yep,

although i am very junior in the working world,

it is too easy to identify which manager is good at talking, but without much substance

but then again,

if the talk brings in the business, who cares if he can do the work a not.

to exist in this complicated network called "Company"

every1 must have some kind of core competancy, IMO.

they are other who know their stuff, work hard, but cannot present their work probably..... feel sad for them [:)]

1. What is the business rationale behind your work. What problems are you solving and why it is so important. In short I need to identify business stakeholders. I don't waste my time on work if there is no clear business stakeholders or business stakeholders that matters.

2. What are the various steps you take. Always talking about what are my strategy...what are the tactics taken. Never confuse strategy with tactics. Tactics can fail...but strategy should not. Who comes up with Strategy? Me. Who execute the tactics? My directs or vendors. You get the drift i hope.

I also heard before,

Talk Cork can bring you up the corporate ladder

But it will not make you stay long there.

Turbocharged

What to do? Education system teaches us to "work hard" to ensure success, in exams, and later on, in life. We should de-emphasize this "work hard, keep busy" mentality, with "work smart". But it doesn't mean cheating and cut corner... we should also re-emphasize proper/ethical work practices.

In school we still have to sit in classroom xx hours a day. And at work we are still required (most of us, anyway) to be in office yy hours a day, based on this "work hard" mentality.

I learned early on that working hard, being competent, then wait to be noticed is the wrong way to go. Of course it doesn't mean that you become just good at talking, but not good at doing - both aspects are important in order to gain respect and advance in career.

In many companies, the management is largely unaware of the details of the work being carried out at lower levels. If you were in their position, you would be worried, right? Who knows what each subordinate is doing, what is the status of their work, etc.? Therefore, they appreciate being kept informed and updated - and through this, they know what "hard work" you are putting in.

So besides just working hard, it's good for you to inform your superiors what you're doing - formally, i.e. via report, and so on. It will get circulated. Your name appears often in senior people's e-mails... sooner or later, it will be recalled during meetings for promotions/raises, etc. [laugh]

Yup talk big and talk at the right time works 99.9% of the time.

Look at how the car SE talk untill the blur blur car buyer can believe $178,888 is a good deal for a conti car.

Look at how the property SE talk untill the blur blur house buyer believe the rental can cover the bank loan.

Just today newspaper, the sweet talking Nigerian love cheat....able to con so many female.

TS is right.....talking gets your everywhere.

One thing I forever remember in work and life....."if you never ask, you will never get"...be it increment or freebies or promotion...etc.

Shout shout let it all out!!!

↡ Advertisement