Territorial claims in South China Sea

Ahtong

Supersonic
(edited)

https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/3157/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

just saw this news.

china wanna help malaysia build air def is their south area.

dun need use brain also know aiming who.

Put one state of the air anti-aircraft system (THAAD equivalent) in KL and we are gg already...

Don't even need to be in Johor...

Edited by Kusje

siao liao ... not even invited for meeting?

Current administration is very Europe/America centric.  It still cannot strike a balance between both. 

I think previously when GY was foreign minister, he was able to strike a balance.

Hypersonic

siao liao ... not even invited for meeting?

Lawrence Wong was there representing Singapore.

(edited)

https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/3157/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

just saw this news.

Knew this was coming.

If we can feel the potential threat from our neighbours what do you think what our neighbours feel especially when we are buying new and upgrading weapons like nobody's business.

Now our neighbours have new found financial and military resources from China, what are we going to, spend even more money on military.

Hard truth, nobody needs us for business but we need others. Those new birds who had overspend the hardwork and goodwill of our old guards will now learn the painful lessons but in the end it will be the citizens who will pay the price eventually.

When LKY stepped down as PM, I felt we were on the downhill. I am not gloom and doom but look at our current situation. We have an economic crisis brewing around the corner, yet our good higly paid minister is busy lecturing to us about milk is milk.

Many are not privy to many information but only rely on our mass media who paints a very different picture from reality.

Of course, I wish and pray Singapore will prosper but I am not confident.

Just look at SIA, complacency had allowed other airlines to surpass them on hardware as well as software. Eg a business class ticket to Australia cost the same price whether you fly on a new model plane or an old model plane which dont have flatbed. This will never happen in other top airlines.

Our ports, we are loosing so much business and to attract MNC to Singapore we are even throwing in the kitchen sink.

What surprised me most is I found many young Singaporeans taking up low manager jobs in China with no housing allowance in their pay package. This is a worrying sign.

We got so many ex military generals / colonels in charge of many of our industries. Eg Recently, in a round table discussion, Mr Kee Chiu was teaching Mr Ron Sim how to be an entrepreneur. Osim as you are aware delisted in Singapore and relisted in HK because that is where the business is.

We should not be xenophobic. eg Look at HK, without thinking or seek some solutions, they built hatred for the Chinese Mainlanders. Abuse them and even chased them away. Now many of these same Hongkies are without jobs because the mainlanders since they are not welcome go to other places and spend money.

My humble advice for those few here who are not yet financially independent but you choose to live beyond your means, ultimately when the time comes you will pay the price. Unlike other countries, you are very much on your own. This Uber/Grab also cannot help.

Lets all hope our leaders build upon the foundation and goodwill of our old guards so that Singapore can prosper and be a country where our neighbours what us to be part of their own vision of their own country.

Otherwise, we may become irrelevant faster than we can blink our eyes.

Lets hope for the best.

Edited by Still2016
  • Praise 12

Turbocharged
(edited)

Even without these defenses if Singapore and Msia had conflict we we won it will akin to us "winning the battle losing the war", Msia and Indonesia are loggerheads those systems are probably more against them then us. Honestly we don't represent any threat to Malaysia except economically

Its still too early to tell how much this will benefit Malaysia, this seems to be a move right out of the economic hitman and the current Malaysian government is perfect for this. For example be interesting to see how the Malaysian government will repay the inflated loan taken for the ERL line.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2017/01/more-questions-over-1mdbs-secret-bail-out-from-china/

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2016/07/outrage-najibs-secret-deal-with-china-to-pay-off-1mdb-and-jho-lows-debts-shock-exclusive/

China is manufacturing so much debt to finance all its ambitions it will be interesting to see how this balancing act will play out.

Singapore success was always derived from the corruption which mired our neighbors, I wonder China throwing billions in this region will change that or just make things worse?

just saw this news.

Edited by Mercury1
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Came across this article which is similiar to what I mentioned thought I post it up, am still unsure how the silk road project will be beneficial vs shipping

Interesting thing that came to mind, whilst travelling the Tran Siberian train from Russia to China has a gauge switching station shortly after leaving Outer Mongolia, train gauge between Russia and China is different and the train needs to switch wheels this was to prevent an invasion of Russia into China via Rail (or Vice Versa?). Funny enough we are now linking whole of Asean into China.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/05/china-silk-road-project-trap-opportunity-170514142652061.html

Edited by Mercury1

Hypersonic

Came across this article which is similiar to what I mentioned thought I post it up, am still unsure how the silk road project will be beneficial vs shipping

Interesting thing that came to mind, whilst travelling the Tran Siberian train from Russia to China has a gauge switching station shortly after leaving Outer Mongolia, train gauge between Russia and China is different and the train needs to switch wheels this was to prevent an invasion of Russia into China via Rail (or Vice Versa?). Funny enough we are now linking whole of Asean into China.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/05/china-silk-road-project-trap-opportunity-170514142652061.html

Time advantage for rail over ship

But ship cheaper and rail only 50

Containers while ship few thousand.

:D

http://fiata.com/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/recent_views/Working_Group_UIC_FIATA/2_UIC-FIATA_Vienna_23-24_April_2015_Presentation_Zhang_Zhao.pdf

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Besides Ah Jib's Billions in bullion what could be so urgent that we 100's of billions needs to be spent.

I know its its the

New Iphone!  [scholar]

Time advantage for rail over ship

But ship cheaper and rail only 50

Containers while ship few thousand.

http://fiata.com/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/recent_views/Working_Group_UIC_FIATA/2_UIC-FIATA_Vienna_23-24_April_2015_Presentation_Zhang_Zhao.pdf

• Praise 5

(edited)

come across this on quora,, quite agree with him [thumbsup]

Patrick Liew, Ed.D from University of Southern California

As a start, let me declare that I'm a Singaporean and extremely proud of my country. And so, I may be biased in my position and prejudiced in my views.

Some background information.

Singapore has been China's largest foreign investor since 2013 and a nett contributor since Deng Xiaoping opened up the economy.

Singapore is also one of the largest offshore RMB centres.

Chinese and Singapore banks are actively financing "Belt and Road" projects, particularly in South-eastAsia

1. In recently times, China has been sending negative signals directly and indirectly to Singapore through different channels, including Global Times, a diplomat, and detention of the Terrexes. When it decided not to invite Singapore's Prime Minister to the One Road One Belt Summit, it is another possible signal. China is capitalizing on Trump's nationalism to influence Singapore's foreign policy and posturing for us to pivot towards them.

2. China knows that SIngapore holds an influential position in both the regional and global geopolitical arenas. They want us to stand on their side or at the least, lean towards them.

3. Singapore has to take a principled position and not bend or bow to threats and troubles. We cannot afford to take a short term or transactional approach.

If we compromise or are seen to compromise our stand, we may not be taken seriously. Bow to threats and we may find ourselves being shoved around in the future.

4. We should be mindful that there are no free lunches. When we stretch out our hands for goodies, there's a favour to return. Import debt from a stronger country and we may have to pay a price in the long term.

5. As a small nation, we have to send a clear signal that we take an objective and wisely neutral position. We have to support a world that is governed by laws, rules and principles and not by strength, might or force. Encourage individuals, groups and organizations to support a rules-based world order for the good of humanity and the environment.

6. Singapore should continue to reach out and engage China and demonstrate to them that we have stood by them and will continue to stand by them. For example, if they want feedback about OBOR, they can count on us to offer them the truths, including hard and inconvenient truths. Our feedback will not be based on serving our own interests and neither will they be based on telling them what they want to hear.

7. We are mindful that it's China's strong economic growth in recent times that has kept it's country relatively stable and secure. The growth in the economic pie has also neutralized social disorder and civil unrest. These challenges are the bigger elephants in China's room. Therefore, we should seek to contribute to their economy and country. In doing so, we prove to them that we are an all-weather friend and that they can count on us. By doing that, we will be in a better position to have a more stable, secure and sustainable relationship with China.

Edited by Somewhat1975
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

Patrick Liew, Ed.D from University of Southern California

As a start, let me declare that I'm a Singaporean and extremely proud of my country. And so, I may be biased in my position and prejudiced in my views.

Some background information.

Singapore has been China's largest foreign investor since 2013 and a nett contributor since Deng Xiaoping opened up the economy.

Singapore is also one of the largest offshore RMB centres.

Chinese and Singapore banks are actively financing "Belt and Road" projects, particularly in South-eastAsia

1. In recently times, China has been sending negative signals directly and indirectly to Singapore through different channels, including Global Times, a diplomat, and detention of the Terrexes. When it decided not to invite Singapore's Prime Minister to the One Road One Belt Summit, it is another possible signal. China is capitalizing on Trump's nationalism to influence Singapore's foreign policy and posturing for us to pivot towards them.

2. China knows that SIngapore holds an influential position in both the regional and global geopolitical arenas. They want us to stand on their side or at the least, lean towards them.

3. Singapore has to take a principled position and not bend or bow to threats and troubles. We cannot afford to take a short term or transactional approach.

If we compromise or are seen to compromise our stand, we may not be taken seriously. Bow to threats and we may find ourselves being shoved around in the future.

4. We should be mindful that there are no free lunches. When we stretch out our hands for goodies, there's a favour to return. Import debt from a stronger country and we may have to pay a price in the long term.

5. As a small nation, we have to send a clear signal that we take an objective and wisely neutral position. We have to support a world that is governed by laws, rules and principles and not by strength, might or force. Encourage individuals, groups and organizations to support a rules-based world order for the good of humanity and the environment.

6. Singapore should continue to reach out and engage China and demonstrate to them that we have stood by them and will continue to stand by them. For example, if they want feedback about OBOR, they can count on us to offer them the truths, including hard and inconvenient truths. Our feedback will not be based on serving our own interests and neither will they be based on telling them what they want to hear.

7. We are mindful that it's China's strong economic growth in recent times that has kept it's country relatively stable and secure. The growth in the economic pie has also neutralized social disorder and civil unrest. These challenges are the bigger elephants in China's room. Therefore, we should seek to contribute to their economy and country. In doing so, we prove to them that we are an all-weather friend and that they can count on us. By doing that, we will be in a better position to have a more stable, secure and sustainable relationship with China.

If we are their biggest investors then they must be very frighten to offend us.

Like if we threaten to pull out our investments they will be finished.

But it doesn't seem to be the case leh. They keep threatening and talking down

to us. Are we really investors or paying tribute? 500 years ago when China was

the only super power countries would send tributes to them like giraffes and zebras.

How come we are not getting the red carpet treatment the big investors always get?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If China don't welcome our investments we should invest in USA.

We should buy Apple and Google and Facebook and Kraft cheese

slices and Johnson baby powder and put some money in Europe in

Kit Kat and Milo. Even in bad times I can still see buying these things. 

Why must we invest in China? Only Chinese companies can make

profits?  [thumbsup]

Supersonic

If we are their biggest investors then they must be very frighten to offend us.

Like if we threaten to pull out our investments they will be finished.

But it doesn't seem to be the case leh. They keep threatening and talking down

to us. Are we really investors or paying tribute? 500 years ago when China was

the only super power countries would send tributes to them like giraffes and zebras.

How come we are not getting the red carpet treatment the big investors always get?

Hhehee. I thought we received 2 pandas as tribute a few years back? 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Hhehee. I thought we received 2 pandas as tribute a few years back? 

We pump in billions and all we get is 2 pandas?

What kind of deal is that?

• Praise 2

Twincharged

really??

he shows all that is wrong with our scholars thinking.

after what our PM and his ministers were doing last year at the height of tensions, we hold no cards anymore. not when all the other claimants have reversed and reaped the fruits.

neutral?.. when american LCS and P8s operate form our shores?

once OROB bypasses Sg, see who is the biggest investor around.

sg basically show hand in this poker game too soon and with too weak a hand.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3