Pod Filter mythbusted

Route

Not true leh, this video only measure the peak kw but not low end torque/power gain. I can definably felt a differences in throttle response(around 1200-3000rpm) with my pod filter compare to factory paper filter.

Edited by Trex101

The excuse mill hasn't started working properly, so let me feed it some grist.

"This only works for super-duper highly tuned cars that can take advantage of the excess flow".

"There was no heat-shielding of the pod. Heat soak negates any gain. Get a qualified tuner in future!!"

"D00d, mah Honduh can kick your Suburu's butt!!!!11111"

etc. [laugh]

Good video, BTW.

i'm actually using a hks pod filter as well.. just take it as entertainment :D <3 mightycarmods

i'm actually using a hks pod filter as well.. just take it as entertainment :D <3 mightycarmods

What's just entertainment? The video or your pod? :D

The induction "whoosh" and flutter is quite entertaining, I admit. [;)]

Supersonic

A properly designed air filter with big filter (paper/cellulose) media and bell mouth at the intake is likely going to make more power than open pod.

But the open pod noise just make you think the car is going faster. ;)

A properly designed air filter with big filter (paper/cellulose) media and bell mouth at the intake is likely going to make more power than open pod.

But the open pod noise just make you think the car is going faster. ;)

how do u figure that?

Supersonic

That is just my opinion.

But I read a lot of articles from autospeed.com, a website that has my respect for modification, taking real world readings, measurements, etc.

The only thing I had done was to go from standard air box to k&n, to open pod, back to standard air box with dual intake hose.

And it's not scientific however, just that the car "feels" like it run faster with the last configuration. :D

icic, i have yet to visit autospeed...perhaps i will!

i resisted the temptation to go open pod and went instead to remove the stock heavy resonator boxes and installed a (like u said) bell shaped funnel at the end of the intake tube going into the stock airbox with a panel k&n. works very well, intake temps dropped, and i find it less restrictive without the cons of the open pod.

mid to high end was def less restrictive sans the resonators.

i feel the difference at mid to high end betw open pod and a closed panel filter is butt feel... hahaha\

cold air intakes, however, i really feel it works!

Reason why the pod filter never improve ur car HP? Because your car is not tune to the pod filter.

Our stock ecu is tune by oem to maximise the air box setup and to produce the max hp by setting the correct AFR to match your air box.

By changing the pod filter alone will not make power as the AFR have been changed the moment you change the pod filter.(Usually too lean) The only way for the comparison to be fair is to subject all 3 setup to the same AFR tuning.

I only believe in 3 result when modding the car,

1) Dyno Chart (Same TCF)

2) Drag Timing

3) Track Timing

If whatever you mod is said to be good and produce more power, then it will show up in the 3 result i've mention above.

Neutral Newbie

It doesn't make a difference, but you get an intake sound, which i quite like.

Higher incidence of heat soak too, stick with the stock airbox, an exhaust will give you better gains.

If i can find stock airbox for my car, i'll put the stock airbox back on.

It doesn't make a difference, but you get an intake sound, which i quite like.

Higher incidence of heat soak too, stick with the stock airbox, an exhaust will give you better gains.

If i can find stock airbox for my car, i'll put the stock airbox back on.

Heat soak might be true for Singapore weather but not true here, it's so cold that it's like cold intake 24/7 except for summer. [:)]

Supersonic

I dun undestand, how come a more free flowing after market panel filter not making any gain over the original paper filter??

Where's the real restriction ? It's the throttle plate.

What's the throttle plate function ? It's to throttle air intake.

If you read articles from autospeed.com where they test air restriction pressure loss, typically about 5 to 10% intake loss is across filter media. So even if you remove the air filter totally, you gain very little.

Their point is to address the 90% where the loss is much higher.

Then the measurement and the testing engine which probably has some errors by itself.

Min gain with some errors may just swing back to negative or zero gain.

The only true gain you can get is positive air pressure aka turbo or supercharge.

When the throttle plate is open, positive air pressure is pushing air into it, rather than being sucked into it, resulting in pumping losses for any filters for NA system.

Just my opinion.

Heat soak might be true for Singapore weather but not true here, it's so cold that it's like cold intake 24/7 except for summer. [:)]

I think most of the heat soak is coming from the hot engine bay. Remember the pod filter is lying naked inside the engine bay. Unless you also put in heat shielding +/- some kind of "snorkel" to duct air in from the outside (and I don't know how effective these measures are going to be), you will have heat soak.

The stock box is insulated from engine bay heat build-up.

Edited by Turboflat4

I think most of the heat soak is coming from the hot engine bay. Remember the pod filter is lying naked inside the engine bay. Unless you also put in heat shielding +/- some kind of "snorkel" to duct air in from the outside (and I don't know how effective these measures are going to be), you will have heat soak.

The stock box is insulated from engine bay heat build-up.

Well It depend on the model you drive too. Most older cars have the stock air intake in the engine bay but facing away from the engine. The newer model has the intake facing the front of the car and drawing the outside air.

So if u are replacing Pod filter for older cars, the heat soak problem is not much different as the stock intake is already drawing air from engine bay in the 1st place. (of course try to locate the pod filter as far away from the engine possible + with the smoothest air pipe configuration)

As for newer cars. The Heat soak problem will be more difficult to tackle. even with heat shield of the pod filter? the pod is still seating in the engine bay which is still drawing air from the engine bay)

↡ Advertisement