How do I reduce wear and tear?

Poker

Neutral Newbie

according to your post, i think i like long long legs then [:p]

either that or i cant tell a bellybutton from a [flowerface]

my sweet spot is at 4k... change anythg below 3 and the car shudders+ acceleration feels limp

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

own wife is the best lah! can raw, can love and can sleep peacefully :wub:

salute you! usually raw already cant sleep peacefully [sly]

wah dont like that leh [laugh]! my parts quite difficult to find so trying my best to preserve whatever i have

i also BMW, esp if i have to go town area.. the multiple parking costs can pay for the engine oil!

Btw what is model is your vintage? Integra or SIR?

Driving an old coe Honda currently.

Always had these questions in mind so perhaps someone can clarify my doubts.

I've tried searching through this forum but to no avail.

Please pardon my inexperience or ignorance, if any.

1. Is it true that changing gears too quickly (i.e. at low rpms) will shorten the life of the gearbox?

If that's the case, wont I have to rev to higher rpms, so as to preserve the gearbox?

Yes, but not so much of wear n tear to your your gearbox if it is manual transmission, its your engine that is very siong cause the load its heavier.... think your clutch will wear out faster as well cause you will tends to rev match the rpm using 1/2 clutch at extreme cases...

2. If i constantly rev at higher rpms, wont i cause more wear and tear to the engine?

Yes, higher rpm causes more wear.... may sound contridicting to my previous answer but thats life bro... LOL.... the best is to keep your RPMwithin the range of 2K to 2,5K.. thats the ideal rpm for your engine ..

3. What is the definition of 'dragging gear'?to constantly drive at high rpms without changing gear or to drive at a high gear at low speeds and low rpm?

It could be both... its usually describing someone driving at extremely low or high RPM....eg drag gear to 6K rpm at 1st gear or drag gear at 1.2k rpm at 5th gear...

Question 3 is due to me reading other forums on this wear and tear issue, and different ppl giving different definitions. Duno which to believe.

I used to think that dragging gear means low gear high rpm.

aiyo... look at all the reply.... easily see you post too much tiko stuff liao.. nobody even bother to reply your serious questions... LOL

just my 2 cents worth of thought... i think you are refering to Manual transmission? since for auto, you wont have much choice on changing gear (an old honda doesnt have manual overide mode)look at my reply in blue...

Edited by Tigershark1976

Dont use the car everyday. Use it only when u need to fetch chiobu.Other than that take a public transport.

By reducing the use of the vehicle, wear and tear will also reduce according.

Neutral Newbie

mine's the blue one.. just got it last year..

fun car to drive but if anythg goes kaput [hur]

you're driving an alfa?

Neutral Newbie

[thumbsup] thanks bro!

guess i'm not doing it wrong then.. got a manual as i was worried abt the gearbox kaput

p.s the tiko thing not i start one

Neutral Newbie

dun want leh.. ltr chiobu leads to increased load and then increased tire wear.

best is keep in the car park and stare from my house [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

1. Is it true that changing gears too quickly (i.e. at low rpms) will shorten the life of the gearbox?

If that's the case, wont I have to rev to higher rpms, so as to preserve the gearbox?

2. If i constantly rev at higher rpms, wont i cause more wear and tear to the engine?

3. What is the definition of 'dragging gear'?

to constantly drive at high rpms without changing gear or to drive at a high gear at low speeds and low rpm?

Question 3 is due to me reading other forums on this wear and tear issue, and different ppl giving different definitions. Duno which to believe.

Which model of Honda ? YOM ? Some cars are designed to be driven hard, otherwise, more problem. The same theory to dogs owner, you need to run your Golden Retriver or German Shepard.

mine's the blue one.. just got it last year..

fun car to drive but if anythg goes kaput [hur]

you're driving an alfa?

Yap, inhave the old Italian by my side.

3. What is the definition of 'dragging gear'?

to constantly drive at high rpms without changing gear or to drive at a high gear at low speeds and low rpm?

1) Yes fast gear change wears out synchro mesh at a faster rate. Just change normally, don't have to be extra slow too.

2) As long as you don't go frequently into red zone, it is fine.

3) I think dragging means holding to a gear at high rpm when you can use a higher gear. It's more of a fuel economy thing.

The key to reduce wear and tear is doing scheduled maintenance especially fluid change. Engine oil, gear oil, power steering oil etc