Quick question - pek kim needed for Muslim funeral?

Ruriimasu

It will be useful for the deceased family to help out

in the funeral expenses.

Also to show that you care and share their grief.

In Malay/Muslim practises, funerals are attended to in the show of genuine respect and display of emotional support for the family in grief.

Visitors greet the family and express condolences and sincerely offer help when needed. Do not express this if you have no intent to do so (the help, I mean).

Money changing hands are a recent inculcation into the culture. In the past the community rallies around and help settle the body, by deed. Not money. It is a duty of every Muslim to ensure the dead gets buried properly even though he has no relation or a stranger to the extent of using his own resources if needed.

So do give money in an envelope. The amounts are relative of how much you are willing to help and how in-need the family is.

The giving is voluntary and without compulsion, for you. Leave when the body has been moved to the cemetery from home. You do not need to go to the cemetery unless you want to witness the rites but as a non Muslim please do not join in the religious rituals.

Wear appropriately. Long sleeves and esp long pants are good for covering up the flesh. Lastly be respectful to everybody.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

so non muslim can give money? then need put into envelope or not, or...? pass to the spouse?

Not necessary to be in envelope, just fold your notes and placed on your palm and shake the spouse hand.

Turbocharged

Not necessary to be in envelope, just fold your notes and placed on your palm and shake the spouse hand.

i attended a muslim colleague's funeral and was told not to shake the wife's hand as its inappropriate for the occasion. I just passed it to her like giving business card and say my condolences.
↡ Advertisement