Major Servicing. Parts replacement*

Kazuo

Neutral Newbie

Read through the major servicing menu and found that there are a lot of parts replacement which comes with a *, which note "if applicable"

The cost will be around $400++.

My thought is that if those parts are not replaced, the servicing will be as good as a normal servicing which cost $100+, which means I am effectively paying $300 for visual check, which of course I wouldn't know if the check is even conducted and how detailed.

Can I know how many of you still go back to your agent for servicing after warranty period, and how likely major servicing has all the listed parts replaced?

I am OK with the price if the parts are replaced. Else, I would rather go elsewhere and get them changed.

Any feedback?

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Go read the autosaver thread. I posted my own experience abt this WS and price I paid for major 80k KM servicing

Brought my own parts and oil....

It's advisable to change things, according to your car 's requirement. Don't save this kind of money

Read through the major servicing menu and found that there are a lot of parts replacement which comes with a *, which note "if applicable"

My thought is that if those parts are not replaced, the servicing will be as good as a normal servicing which cost $100+, which means I am effectively paying $300 for visual check, which of course I wouldn't know if the check is even conducted and how detailed.

Can I know how many of you still go back to your agent for servicing after warranty period, and how likely major servicing has all the listed parts replaced?

I am OK with the price if the parts are replaced. Else, I would rather go elsewhere and get them changed.

Any feedback?

My car AD only got engine servicing packages: A, B, C. No other major/minor servicings offered yet.

Neutral Newbie

Go read the autosaver thread. I posted my own experience abt this WS and price I paid for major 80k KM servicing

Brought my own parts and oil....

It's advisable to change things, according to your car 's requirement. Don't save this kind of money

It's the same, their list also comes with *. I would say, not any better, if not more or less the same.

Supercharged

First, u must know what parts are needed to replace.

Standard things will be engine oil, brake oil, sparks, oil filter, gear oil, air filter, fuel strainer. Cannot escape. U can buy these from stockists.

Those with * are subject to wear and tear, which means if the WS check and see it's worn out, they will advise you to change it and additional cost will incur. Example will be brake pads, power steering oil, etc

The big question is whether the WS is honest enough to check thorough for you. Go to a reputable one, and if u are damm kiasu, stand and watch them do your car.

If u buy the above mentioned parts yourself, u are already saving some money there.

Turbocharged

Buy yr own parts. At least u know u get it direct from the stockist.

"Recommended" agent markup the parts profit at least 20 to 100 percent. Then tell u they only earn $20 to $40 labour fee.

Any feedback?

First, I will go read the car's manual to reduce the possibility of being "smoked" by outside workshop or even maybe AD for that matter. Understand the car, the parts/fluids and everything else.

Know the parts that need to be changed at stipulated servicing intervals.

If possible, get the parts from stockist unless you really really trust that workshop.

Be around when they service your car. This is not about not trusting them. Anything can happen because of human error sometimes.

I find the costs much cheaper than going to ADs.

Want piece of mind, go to AD. Want piece of s--t, go to those pariah workshop outside which does shabby job. Recently just change my fan belt, Toyota quoted me $260 to change it. I took my key and left. Went outside to do it, bought the parts at $65 and labour of $25. At the same time, bought original toyota brakepad to change at $65 and labour $45. All in all, less than what Toyota quoted me for just fan belt. Their mark up is not just 100%, is 150%. Other than normal servicing, I'll bring my car outside to change parts. So long is genuine parts, doesn't matter which mech change for me. Those working in Toyota also JB mech, go outside is either PRC or JB mech. Not much different. The only different is no car wash and cannot see what they change.

Neutral Newbie

May be agent is still better, if you encounter the same terrible experience as me.

I drive a Nissan Presage and in Feb 2012 I sent my 6-year-old car to GSC Auto for a comprehensive service, I was told that it needs an engine-overhaul and cost more than a thousand dollars. The car was absolutely smooth before this as it was well maintained by the agent Tan Chong Motors, but I was told that this is needed to ensure that it runs smoothly for the next few years. I took the advice and paid accordingly as the COE is high and I need to use the car for some important events middle of the year.

Within 3 months the overhaul, in May 2012 the engine stopped working for a few seconds while I was on CTE high-way, I sent the car to GSC Auto again and at the same time for another full service. This time I was told that it cost more than a thousand dollars again to replace some parts that were previously not detected. I was assured that this time there will not be any issues. As I need to use the car for some important events end of June I reluctantly paid.

One and a half months later this morning my car could not be started. This is possibly due to battery being exhausted but I am surprised that the full service last month could not detect this. When I asked GSC Auto to come and take a look, I waited for more than 2 and a half hours before a staff call me back and informed that if they come they have to keep my car for a few days as they are quite busy this period. I therefore could not use the car during my important event, I am clearly crushed.

The above event is true, my car number plate is SJU8292S. One lesson is that I possibly should not have gone to GSC Auto or any workshops other than the agent. I was trying to save my family some money during hard times but it may have been a wrong choice.

Any advice, please share.

Hypersonic

May be agent is still better, if you encounter the same terrible experience as me.

I drive a Nissan Presage and in Feb 2012 I sent my 6-year-old car to GSC Auto for a comprehensive service, I was told that it needs an engine-overhaul and cost more than a thousand dollars. The car was absolutely smooth before this as it was well maintained by the agent Tan Chong Motors, but I was told that this is needed to ensure that it runs smoothly for the next few years. I took the advice and paid accordingly as the COE is high and I need to use the car for some important events middle of the year.

Within 3 months the overhaul, in May 2012 the engine stopped working for a few seconds while I was on CTE high-way, I sent the car to GSC Auto again and at the same time for another full service. This time I was told that it cost more than a thousand dollars again to replace some parts that were previously not detected. I was assured that this time there will not be any issues. As I need to use the car for some important events end of June I reluctantly paid.

One and a half months later this morning my car could not be started. This is possibly due to battery being exhausted but I am surprised that the full service last month could not detect this. When I asked GSC Auto to come and take a look, I waited for more than 2 and a half hours before a staff call me back and informed that if they come they have to keep my car for a few days as they are quite busy this period. I therefore could not use the car during my important event, I am clearly crushed.

The above event is true, my car number plate is SJU8292S. One lesson is that I possibly should not have gone to GSC Auto or any workshops other than the agent. I was trying to save my family some money during hard times but it may have been a wrong choice.

If you do not have a trusted mechanic, going back to agent is safer bet although more expensive.

If you were trying to save $, then why fix something that ain't broke? Just normal servicing will do.

i did my servicing for my sunny 07' model a few days ago.

Damage breakdown:

eng oil - $70

oil filter - $30

Fan belt - $20

Alt belt - $35

labour - $50

total: $205

is this price reasonable?

Damage breakdown:

eng oil - $70

oil filter - $30

Fan belt - $20

Alt belt - $35

labour - $50

Just call up a Nissan stockist , then you'll know whether reasonable or not. All workshops will markup the parts, question is by how much ? For eg, your oil filter looks rather expensive to me, even after markup. And did they use original or OEM parts ?

hmmm will re-sign my servicing plan again wif TC :D :D :D

Turbocharged
(edited)

Damage breakdown:

eng oil - $70

oil filter - $30 - I just bought original t stockist. only S$9. Is yours ORIGINAL?

Fan belt - $20

Alt belt - $35

labour - $50

They charge you S$50 cheap labour. But mark-up high on the parts.

What oil they use? Nissan should be less than 4L. Dog brand is less than S$40 for 4L.

Edited by Mcf777

Damage breakdown:

eng oil - $70

oil filter - $30

Fan belt - $20

Alt belt - $35

labour - $50

go TC to check wif them the price 1st..

actually hor some of the basic maint we can do ourslf like every 6-12 mths spray some WD40 on the time belt/chain, front bonnet opener spring, battery bolt/nut & fan belt.

A properly serviced engine will not need any overhaul for at least 10 years, esp a NA engine, so why choose to do overhaul esp when there is no problem? Sometimes it's good to ask around before doing any such major work.

↡ Advertisement