Trouble with Diesel particulate filter (DPF)

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) problem solved !

I bought a 2008 Q7 3.0 TDI few months ago. It was clocked about 60,000KM on odometer.

The DPF fault light came on. From periodical to permanent on my dashboard. Took it to my

trusted mechanic in Glenmarie. It cost about RM8k to replace the DPF. With our low grade

diesel, it wont be long before the problem happens again.

The mechanic had these done:

- Chopped off the DPF and replace with customised straight through pipe.

- Tucked away the temp and pressure sensor in the DPF.

- Installed a aftermarket piggy bag ECU on top of the original Q7 ECU. Proper sockets were used. No wire cutting.

- Program aftermarket ECU to feed new control signals

- Some tests

DONE !

Engine respond improved and result in smoother drive. Average city fuel consumption improved from 20.5 mpg to 22 mpg.

I notice this topic was posted in 2012. I hope my reply is not too late.

Cheers

Jovey (Kuala Lumpur)

Edited by joveylee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

I bought a 2008 Q7 3.0 TDI few months ago. It was clocked about 60,000KM on odometer.

The DPF fault light came on. From periodical to permanent on my dashboard. Took it to my

trusted mechanic in Glenmarie. It cost about RM8k to replace the DPF. With our low grade

- Installed a aftermarket piggy bag ECU on top of the original Q7 ECU. Proper sockets were used. No wire cutting.

- Some tests

DONE !

Engine respond improved and result in smoother drive. Average city fuel consumption improved from 20.5 mpg to 22 mpg.

Cheers

Jovey (Kuala Lumpur)

Removing the DPF will straight away failed the yearly inspection here in Singapore.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Removing the DPF will straight away failed the yearly inspection here in Singapore.

The new Euro 5 TD in Sg no need inspection for how many years.

1st at the end of 3rd year followed by every alternate year?

OT : I love Hoegaarden also. Just had that when family was at Brussels beside Traders Hotel.

• Praise 1

- Some tests

DONE !

Cheers

Jovey (Kuala Lumpur)

Please help save the earth, the DPF is there for a reason, if everyone do it the same way, global warming confirm accelerate.

I know this post has been dead for a while. My company is actually trying to market a liquid used in diesel cars with dpf for example for Renault and Psa that helps prolong regeneration intervals. Means that the dpf takes a longer time to become full. Also helps your injectors stay in a keep clean condition

I know this post has been dead for a while. My company is actually trying to market a liquid used in diesel cars with dpf for example for Renault and Psa that helps prolong regeneration intervals. Means that the dpf takes a longer time to become full. Also helps your injectors stay in a keep clean condition

Can you elaborate further? ... Some education on how the Product helps with the Regeneration? ... 

DPF self cleaning lor ....... heng ah he did not bring into SG.  If not, may sink the company.

Yeah care to elaborate.  Am planning to get a diesel car next.  Starting to learn all the good n bad about Diesel Turbos.

Yup, also planning to get diesel car next year also. Asking around about this DPF problem and how to solve it. Heard from a few taxi drivers, diesel taxi also have this problem. They just throw back to FOC workshop. Some diesel car drivers get this issue coming up within months of getting the car.

The reply from SE is usually total denial or drive long distance once a week. Don't want to especially drive out on Sunday on expressway to clear the DPF, damn sianz.

If anyone have any solution, do share. Overseas solution of removing DPF cannot work here in Singapore leh.

Yup, also planning to get diesel car next year also. Asking around about this DPF problem and how to solve it. Heard from a few taxi drivers, diesel taxi also have this problem. They just throw back to FOC workshop. Some diesel car drivers get this issue coming up within months of getting the car.

The reply from SE is usually total denial or drive long distance once a week. Don't want to especially drive out on Sunday on expressway to clear the DPF, damn sianz.

If anyone have any solution, do share. Overseas solution of removing DPF cannot work here in Singapore leh.

Taxis drive long distances and various road conditions. if they cannot clear the DPF by driving then the DPF system by hyundai is screwed up. singapore end to end is only 40-50km of road.how long do you need to drive to clear it? crazy

Sorry for the late replies on this guys. We are currently working very closely with a company by the name of interion who are marketing an excellent dpf cleaner. Just do a search and you will find it and try. It is very effective and I think they have some videos uploaded on youtube too

Sorry for the late replies on this guys. We are currently working very closely with a company by the name of interion who are marketing an excellent dpf cleaner. Just do a search and you will find it and try. It is very effective and I think they have some videos uploaded on youtube too

Just to add, the product is called acerev

I think now everyone is waiting for Feb 20th to see what pattern the govt will come up with for diesel passenger vehicles.

diesel clatter (noise pollution) tax, diesel road tax surcharge, diesel CEV penalty.

I think now everyone is waiting for Feb 20th to see what pattern the govt will come up with for diesel passenger vehicles.

Yo, for everyone of us who's on the same diesel vehicle / car boat. =)

Will join you guys soon, after I'm done with my petrol one. This is from my post in another thread.

Last time research, also my plan when I buy my diesel car.

- only Euro 4 and Euro 5 can use either EGR or SCR system to control NOx.

- EURO 6 onwards will be a combination. but not a problem at all, see below.

- EGR system uses DPF, where the DPF will run into issue when driving in slow traffic, see 

no need to be too anxious about the DPF problem. have the DPF regeneration fault light then buy and dose. U kaisu, then buy and dose from the start. lol

called them before and chatted for 15 mins, told me that the DPF cleaner works for diesel car in Bangkok traffic also. Some SG workshop using also. Jaguar and Porsche drivers also using. 

- while SCR System uses AdBlue. AdBlue topup only max 2 - 3 times a year, can be done at dealership during servicing. nowadays have so many years servicing and warranty, no need worry about the adblue so much lah.

if you super DIY person then just buy from any location stated at http://adblue.com.sg/, don't think will save much, aiyah, just ask workshop do lah.

remember to rinse the area with water, so the adblue don't corrode any of your car components. 

problem solved! no need ganchong.

- go Malaysia, just buy 2x diesel jerry cans (that's 40 Litres!) from http://jerrycan.sg/ then u can song song gao Jurong (Tuas Causeway). Then no need to worry EURO boh EURO diesel in Malaysia. Just make sure you empty the jerry cans before you come back SG, else u will kana fuel smuggling. then you jump into yellow river also no one can save you liao. 

That's all, cover the corners I can see for my future diesel car. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

For Euro 5 diesel vehicles , the exhaust particles are either trap by a filter and at later stage the vehicle on-board computer go into the degerating mode - during this mode the soot particles at the filter are burnt off at very high temp.

One way to simulate/activate the system to go into degerating mode is by driving the vehicle at high speed.

If this method fails, the only choice is to get the degerating done by a stand-alone machine . Very expensive machine, which I doubt the ADs will have them as the volume of Euro 5 vehicle sold per AD is still low.

The other method of reducing the soot particles is to add Ad-blue to the fuel system. This method is most popular and less problematic.

sorry to reply on an old comment... since it is heat, does it mean that driving at low gears is preferred?

my car will auto-shift to high gear quickly and stay there at the lowest rpm..

at this gear i don't think much heat can be generated without having to break the speed limit..

sorry to reply on an old comment... since it is heat, does it mean that driving at low gears is preferred?

my car will auto-shift to high gear quickly and stay there at the lowest rpm..

at this gear i don't think much heat can be generated without having to break the speed limit..

NO. you are supposed to drive at optimal gear to produce engine LOAD. that's how heat is generated.

low gear high rev has low loads and produces lots of soot/particulate which will further cockup your DPF

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

NO. you are supposed to drive at optimal gear to produce engine LOAD. that's how heat is generated.

low gear high rev has low loads and produces lots of soot/particulate which will further cockup your DPF

Thanks bro.. Still got some gears to go even at 90kmh.... Like that got to cheong nshw once a month..
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1