News: tourist not happy Singaporeans do not smile n kowtow

SimonTan

Good that many singaporeans now no longer think angmoh tuaki. This is good progress n maturity of Singaporeans! Pat ourselves on the back for finally grown up.

www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120511-0000072/Where-are-the-friendly-Singaporeans-I-knew

Where are the friendly Singaporeans I knew?

Letter from Brian Nelson

04:46 AM May 11, 2012

HAVING visited Singapore, one of our favourite destinations, many times in the past 25 years, my wife and I were shocked at the deterioration in attitudes towards tourists. The signs were already there on our last visit four years ago.

The first thing we noticed as elderly people, particularly when using the Mass Rapid Transit, was that the youth have no respect for the elderly and the seats reserved for them and pregnant or handicapped people.

It is also dangerous getting on and off the train when one is shoved out of the way time and again.

Another observation is that nobody smiles or returns a greeting any more. Taxi drivers, particularly, used to be a wealth of information and eager to point out areas of interest but are now, mostly a surly lot.

Service has also deteriorated in shops and restaurants, where many of the staff can hardly speak English, are rude and abrupt. As for the words "please" and "thank you", they do not exist.

It will not be long before it becomes just a rat race, like in many other cities. Has progress taken away Singapore's soul, the essence of being human, of recognising one another?

Your city is beautiful, your buildings tall and proud, yet to walk along the streets and see the surliness of a face is disheartening.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

in current times,the only ones who are smiling are the millionaires pappies and their CEO and highflyers lackeys in all stat boards and glc.

Edited by Unidentified

he is absolutely right!

Singaporean are rude. not only they don smile back, Singaporean like to give the look as if everyone owes them money....

did the ang moh asking them to kowtow?? [hur] [hur]

he is stating the facts of what happen, where people here also kpkb <_<

Good that many singaporeans now no longer think angmoh tuaki. This is good progress n maturity of Singaporeans! Pat ourselves on the back for finally grown up.

www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120511-0000072/Where-are-the-friendly-Singaporeans-I-knew

Letter from Brian Nelson

HAVING visited Singapore, one of our favourite destinations, many times in the past 25 years, my wife and I were shocked at the deterioration in attitudes towards tourists. The signs were already there on our last visit four years ago.

The first thing we noticed as elderly people, particularly when using the Mass Rapid Transit, was that the youth have no respect for the elderly and the seats reserved for them and pregnant or handicapped people.

It is also dangerous getting on and off the train when one is shoved out of the way time and again.

Another observation is that nobody smiles or returns a greeting any more. Taxi drivers, particularly, used to be a wealth of information and eager to point out areas of interest but are now, mostly a surly lot.

Service has also deteriorated in shops and restaurants, where many of the staff can hardly speak English, are rude and abrupt. As for the words "please" and "thank you", they do not exist.

It will not be long before it becomes just a rat race, like in many other cities. Has progress taken away Singapore's soul, the essence of being human, of recognising one another?

Your city is beautiful, your buildings tall and proud, yet to walk along the streets and see the surliness of a face is disheartening.

ok i start the ball rolling! [cool]

How the fark i know if he is a tourist or just another ft that is taking a Singaporean job! wear a bandana or a tag stating one is a tourist..then maybe then i will smile at your face!

Sir, Sorry Sir.. i was not aware i have to tickle your balls every day with a smile.... i will forward your demands to my fellow workers...

no problem. clip yr nails before u tickle my balls [:p][laugh]:D

(edited)

blah blah blah 60.1% blah blah blah Gahmen blah blah blah PAP blah blah blah Economy good blah blah blah... friday liao... ask him go msia la, truely asia

Edited by Mockngbrd

did the ang moh asking them to kowtow?? [hur] [hur]

he is stating the facts of what happen, where people here also kpkb <_<

some ppl just wan to complain for the sack of complaining.

some think its an act of patriotic to defend own nation's ppl, language, whatever, no matter its right or wrong but it might backfire the nation as a whole.

How to smile when everyday we are ask to Pay And Pay.

i smile to my neighbors everyday. sometimes to strangers on the street if we happens to lock our eyes.

no need money one ma, smile lo.

don smile also don act like whole world owes u money can liaoz [:p][laugh]:D

many ppl like to do that

Letter from Brian Nelson

This is what happens when you have a slave driving corporation.

(edited)

Letter from Brian Nelson

Actually after reading this a second time... i think what the ang moh said is correct.

maybe we used to be happy people... but now many are jaded/ disenchanted.... or he cannot tell the difference from china PRC and locals..

Edited by New_Atlantis

Hypersonic

Growing here more decades, I thought if you smile at a stranger, they might think that you're weird.