New Renault Grand Scenic Diesel

Schell31

Saw the road show in vivo city, the frugality is amazing...what do you think?
i think diesel is the way to go green!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Electric cars are the way to go green. Zero CO2.

Electric car don't work for Singapore since more 90% stay in high rise appartment. Charging is a problem.

Unless every lot come with a charging socket.

At the rate LTA 'relax' the diesel tax on car...we could well skip the 'diesel car craze' and onto modern small cap. engine eg. 3 cylinder, etc.... which can get the efficiency as modern diesel.

Electric car don't work for Singapore since more 90% stay in high rise appartment. Charging is a problem.

Unless every lot come with a charging socket.

There is a universal study going on regarding the feasibilty of having charge points as conveniently accessible as petrol kiosks. May actually work in my view, though may also have to wait I presume.

1461cc road tax ($662 per year)

+

1461cc Euro V diesel tax (584.40 per year)

=1246.4

Slighly higher than a 2.0 litre petrol car's annual road tax

Due to the diesel engine's narrow torque powerband, the 0-100 is like crap but then again performance isn't really a priority for anyone looking for a 7-seater compact MPV

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

There is a universal study going on regarding the feasibilty of having charge points as conveniently accessible as petrol kiosks. May actually work in my view, though may also have to wait I presume.

Currently all electric car will take about 8hr for fully charge. That's mean over night charge is required.

with 240nm u gonna get decent pickup off the line. good enough for sg context where you hardly have the chance to unleash ur raw hp at high speeds.

• Praise 2

Yes, on theory but anyone have any ideas if the batteries inside the electric car really eco friendly as well. If I remember correctly, batteries for electric car does have its fair share of environment impact as well. For example, electricity is need to charge the batteries and where does the electricity comes from? Nuclear power stations? Coal power stations? Hydro-turbines stations? How about the disposal of batteries? How does that affect the whole environment? Lead based batteries especially.

• Praise 2

If u consider system view, then electric car may not be green aferall. The energy it needs to produce the battries and hence the CO2 emission is high.

• Praise 2

Yes, on theory but anyone have any ideas if the batteries inside the electric car really eco friendly as well. If I remember correctly, batteries for electric car does have its fair share of environment impact as well. For example, electricity is need to charge the batteries and where does the electricity comes from? Nuclear power stations? Coal power stations? Hydro-turbines stations? How about the disposal of batteries? How does that affect the whole environment? Lead based batteries especially.

It works more than on a theoratical level. If this is not true, estiblished manufacturers will not be bothered with electric cars altogether. Nissan would not have spent time effort and money on the Leaf, and Renault on the Fluence. These are just examples, there are more electric cars from others manufacturers too.

The points you raised are nothing new, and are just very basic points that have already underwent rigorous debates long time ago. These could be seen for example in various top car magazines many moons ago.

[:)]

Supersonic

You can tax petrol. You can tax CNG. You can even tax diesel.

Now, giving electric car a chance to slip through the loop hole ?

Most likely, gahmen is going to tax electricity charge as well to prevent "loss" in revenue.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1