Can I replace 205/65 tyres on my current 185/65 R15?

Ngsengpoh

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, need some advices. Currently I'm using 185/65 R15 tyres on my Nissan Latio. I would like to know whether I could replace 205/65 R15 tyres? Thanks. [speechless]

↡ Advertisement

of coz not!

your speedo and odo will give screwed reading as overall circumference is widened.

the number 65 is a percentage of your 185 or 205

as such, your cross section profile is bigger than normal

Neutral Newbie

of coz not!

your speedo and odo will give screwed reading as overall circumference is widened.

the number 65 is a percentage of your 185 or 205

as such, your cross section profile is bigger than normal

Hi, thks for your advice. Thought my Rim is 15 inch should able to fix the 205/65 r15 tyres.

Hi, thks for your advice. Thought my Rim is 15 inch should able to fix the 205/65 r15 tyres.

it is not the diameter of the rims in this instance,

but the rolling circumference.

it is not the diameter of the rims in this instance,

but the rolling circumference.

if you really want to upsize and for your case only go for 195/60/15

HYundai i30 or avante original 185/65/15 hyunddai recon 195/65/15 (stated in their BOOK)

so dont be over react to speedo out . just a matter of 1-2km/h out

If you are worry all this just follow what is Original tyre size from your car manufacturer (unless you cannot find your size)

But please go for Quality product than upsize but down grade tyre Quality [rifle]

Needd advice here. Saw a altis with a 195/65/15 rim fitted with 205/65/15 tyre, possible?

thought it 205/60/r15 is OK...was thinking the same as well, instead of upping to 16 inch.

1st Gear

thought it 205/60/r15 is OK...was thinking the same as well, instead of upping to 16 inch.

On the matter of can fit or not, of course can fit, based on rim size.

But, fitting too large a tire (more than 4% than original recommended size) will result in difference of speed shown on your speedometer. Reading becomes not accurate. For example, when you run on bigger wheels, a 100kph on speedo may actually be 110.

Aside from that, you will be risking earlier failure on wheel bearings, loss of some cornering stability because ride becomes taller, it becomes safety issue, etc.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, need some advices. Currently I'm using 185/65 R15 tyres on my Nissan Latio. I would like to know whether I could replace 205/65 R15 tyres? Thanks. [speechless]

No this 205/65R15 tyre is too big to replace your 185/65 R15, it will cause speedometer not accurate and may hit your mud guard when turning.

(edited)

205 or other depends on the width of your rims. If stock u should stay stock.

Profile like one bro mentioned is a percentage of the width so it should not remain as 65 but should correspondingly reduce.

Why would u wanna move away from 185? FC may also be negatively affected although traction should improve

Edited by Dice

Neutral Newbie

185 * 0.65 = 120.25mm side wall thickness

205 * 0.65 = 133.25mm side wall thickness

Overall diameter will increase by 26mm, quite a large increase actually.

But if there is sufficient clearance from your fender, then it should be no problem.

Speedo will show different speed (ie slower than actual).

But your FC may improve due to larger circumference, needs lesser rounds than the old size to cover the same distance.

Turbocharged

185 * 0.65 = 120.25mm side wall thickness

205 * 0.65 = 133.25mm side wall thickness

Overall diameter will increase by 26mm, quite a large increase actually.

But if there is sufficient clearance from your fender, then it should be no problem.

Speedo will show different speed (ie slower than actual).

But your FC may improve due to larger circumference, needs lesser rounds than the old size to cover the same distance.

No.. tire width from 185 to 205 will increase the contact area.. increased contact area means friction is increased.. so FC will definitely go up too

Neutral Newbie

No.. tire width from 185 to 205 will increase the contact area.. increased contact area means friction is increased.. so FC will definitely go up too

I think it depends loh. Alot of factors like the rubber weight, extra traction, larger diameter, etc. Maybe at the end of the day, all cancel out and get back same FC.

I changed from 205/55/16 to 225/40/18, slightly larger rolling diameter, but FC so far remains about the same..

if you are worry and hear so many negative feed back just stick to original size and go for Quality tyre.

Fuel consumption is determine by many factor like car total weight / tyre and rim size and weight / driving speed /most important the driving habit.

actually you can, but not 205/65 R15, it's 205/65 R14

now your stock one 185/65 R15 diameter 512mm, 205/65 R14 has the same diameter, so your speedo and odo no change [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement