Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Chewbacca
  • Chewbacca
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

But it's only a knuckle cut, though. Not the prized prime-rib or tenderloin. But given that those 2 are ~$130 per kg, I think the knuckle is fine enough. Going to cook it later tonight.....

Found it at NTUC Finest in Clementi.

Saw that the guy selling it has 'Culina' on his apron. Culina should be the one selling all the gourmet food stuff in dempsey ba? Maybe I'll check again....

Bought nearly half a KG. Going to cook it...BLUE! WOOOooooo

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Chewbacca
  • Chewbacca
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Personally I find little difference in taste between Wagyu and other good steak from wet market.
In fact if you'd've gone along to the two stalls in the Clementi wet market I think you'd've found some equally tasty rib eye for half the price, you could've then done a comparison.

I think it's all a scam.

In fact with us Singaporeans generally I think we think the higher the price or the longer the queue the better the product.

We aren't discernible at all.

But enjoy your steak.

Well, aren't you a happy troper. :(

To be honest, I live by cheap steaks most of the time. There are ways to prepare the meat to have them approach the taste and feel of premium steaks. But, it's oly $50, man! Normal steak is like, $30.

And, yes, I can taste the difference. But sometimes I do wonder if the price difference is worth it....

Jamesc praised this

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Personally, I don't purchase any Wagyu beef for our own consumption unless for entertaining guests.
I find it rather unhealthy; fat leaden but most people don't realised or mind it becos
it's so smooth and palatable and since it's expensive, it must be good!

I rather buy Tenderloin for steaks and Chuck Tender for stews and from Supermarkets only.
Reason being, the stall holders charge different price per Kg for different customers!
Positive people also have negative thoughts,
They just don't let those thoughts grow & destroy them.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Btw, you can get beef Tenderloin for <$50/Kg from Cold Storage when they occasionally
advertise the offer on Friday.

Try to get it on Friday or Saturday mornings as supply will run out fast, as I had found out at times.
Buy more to keep as this cut freeze well. Cook as steak or if you can get it uncut, roast it.....Yummm!

Bon Appetit!
Jamesc praised this
Positive people also have negative thoughts,
They just don't let those thoughts grow & destroy them.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Chewbacca
  • Chewbacca
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Turn out to be not too bad.

Should have salted it when the steak's not so cold, though....

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I have a steak once a week. I cook them myself, usually rib eye.

Anyone into caviar too ?

Edited by Davidtkl, 28 May 2012 - 12:40 AM.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Expertz
  • Expertz
    Banned

there are different grades of waygu, its probably the lower graded versions are on sale but if you know how to cook the steak well enough even a $20 steak can taste like a $80 plate

Edited by Expertz, 28 May 2012 - 12:56 AM.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

Kelloggs
  • Kelloggs
    4th Gear
    Author Image

There's also Wagyu from China :)

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

SLSAMG88
  • SLSAMG88
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Personally I find little difference in taste between Wagyu and other good steak from wet market.
In fact if you'd've gone along to the two stalls in the Clementi wet market I think you'd've found some equally tasty rib eye for half the price, you could've then done a comparison.

I think it's all a scam.

In fact with us Singaporeans generally I think we think the higher the price or the longer the queue the better the product.

We aren't discernible at all.

But enjoy your steak.

That's probably cos you have only ever tasted the lower grade wagyu.

I get my wagyu from Australia - always grade 9 at about $90AUD per kilo.

Cooking Wagyu is very easy, I slice it into thin pieces, almost bite size as I have neither the equipment nor the skills to grill a perfect steak!

Preheat the frying pan, throw the slices of wagyu in and sprinkle with maybe two pinches of salt.

Two minutes later, they're done!

Brilliant!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Wonder all product import from Japan got went thru radiation check or not...that is a report by USA recently, that as far tokyo...even the soil are contaminated with radiation.....for me...I skip everything coming from Japan for a long time to come....also in April....mad cow disease was found in USA........not sure whether this is the case of the price is dropping....pai seh....don't mean to affect your mood in enjoy the nice beef... laugh.gif

Mad cow

Edited by LoverofCar, 28 May 2012 - 01:04 PM.

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Isabel1
  • Isabel1
    Banned

Btw, you can get beef Tenderloin for <$50/Kg from Cold Storage when they occasionally
advertise the offer on Friday.

Try to get it on Friday or Saturday mornings as supply will run out fast, as I had found out at times.
Buy more to keep as this cut freeze well. Cook as steak or if you can get it uncut, roast it.....Yummm!

Bon Appetit!

Thanks for your post.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Viceroymenthol
  • Viceroymenthol
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Cooking Wagyu is very easy, I slice it into thin pieces, almost bite size as I have neither the equipment nor the skills to grill a perfect steak!

Preheat the frying pan, throw the slices of wagyu in and sprinkle with maybe two pinches of salt.

Brilliant!

Generally American wagyu beats Aussie wagyu hands down. Anyway Australia exports a lot of lower grade wagyu as well.

Look at the marbling and you can predict what it will taste like.

Yakiniku Yazawa at Robertson Quay has some pretty good beef. The Chateaubriand is awesome, it looks like a block of butter marbled with lots of super fine veins of fat, before it is sliced and thrown on the bbq.

Edited by Viceroymenthol, 28 May 2012 - 06:21 PM.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Expertz
  • Expertz
    Banned

Brilliant!

don't you think 2 minutes is really too much? unless your steak is really thick and your pan isn't very hot or you are the type who eats well done steak?

i'd rather have a hot pan and less than half a minute per side
cooked on the outside but completely raw inside is the best!

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Cold Storage seems to be giving good offer for Wagyu Beef

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cold Storage seems to be giving good offer for Wagyu Beef

Did they specific which part?

I realize they always just state Wagyu beef but never state the part. I

That is all.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

zipping
  • zipping
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Saw tis promo....any bro try b4?

https://emporiumshok...ku-buffets-gyuu

Gyuu_Buffet_SepOct_WEB_1024x1024.jpg?v=1

Pocy praised this

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Went to read the website after seeing your link.

u need to find 4 pax. but think it's even cheaper with this promotion.

https://emporiumshok...eef-buffet-gyuu

Saw tis promo....any bro try b4?

https://emporiumshok...ku-buffets-gyuu

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

SuPerBoRed
  • Premium member
    SuPerBoRed
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Been to something similar... I can only say.. it’s gimmicky...
Respect is earned.. does not come with your god damn title..

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Haha... My sister going Tokyo soon... So buy the wagyu there cheap cheap !

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Been to something similar... I can only say.. it’s gimmicky...

Anniversary coming up.

Thinking of whether to go back to gyu kaku or try a new BBQ place like this one.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: wagyu, steak, going, only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users